5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002SE AUX switch w/ 6CD Changer

Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 PM

2002SE AUX switch w/ 6CD Changer

I've been wondering how to do this for awhile now and through all my searching, I've gathered that the answer to the possibility of adding an AUX line-in type deal to the OEM Bose HU with a 6 disc changer is "no!". I'd like to hear from some other sources about this specific setup. What I'm looking for is a switch installed between the CD changer and the headunit that allows for an input of a second auxiliary line (for my iPod- I'm tired of the quality of my iTrip).

I believe the AUXNISSv3 may be the solution but I'm not sure:
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=610

Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Cletus

get this

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 PM

I also have an '02 with the Bose HU, and have been looking for a similar solution. The Usa-Spec adapter at the bottom of the link in your post is what I am looking at buying. I have something similar in my '95 and it works very well.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

your best option is the harmon cardon drive and play which is a FM modulated controller but hard wired to the car so the sound is better and static free. you might also need antenna adaptors for the Maxima. I think alpine offers a model similar to the drive and play but i am not sure of the model #. You can find it @ alpine's website...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 25hrsdy
your best option is the harmon cardon drive and play which is a FM modulated controller but hard wired to the car so the sound is better and static free. you might also need antenna adaptors for the Maxima. I think alpine offers a model similar to the drive and play but i am not sure of the model #. You can find it @ alpine's website...
you need the wired FM modulator (plugs in to "antenna in" on HU) and an adapter to go from 1 prong to 2 prong. sound is CD quality

a little personal install work....

Last edited by SoonerFan; 03-30-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 AM

I have the USA Spec PA11-NIS and have had absolutely no problems with it. It charges your iPod and lets you keep steering wheel audio controls. It also has an aux input to wire sound from a dvd player or anything else through an RCA hookup. I can't get a picture of it right now, but I drilled a hole in the rear of the cupholder and ran my wire through there. It conceals the iPod and makes for a really clean look. I might try and get a picture up tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM

Soonerfan, thanks for chiming in. I've investigated the HK setup before and its nice, but not what I'm looking for. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid an external controller/screen. Nice installation, anyhow.

AEMAXIMA, your suggestion is right on. The only concern I have is there are conflicting reviews on amazon.com stating you can/can't use your in-dash disc changer with the unit installed (I want my cake and eat it too). http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B000I6LIGG

What, exactly, is your car's audio setup? Also, if you could post pictures I would be forever in your debt.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by JROD'02
Soonerfan, thanks for chiming in. I've investigated the HK setup before and its nice, but not what I'm looking for. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid an external controller/screen. Nice installation, anyhow.

AEMAXIMA, your suggestion is right on. The only concern I have is there are conflicting reviews on amazon.com stating you can/can't use your in-dash disc changer with the unit installed (I want my cake and eat it too). http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B000I6LIGG

What, exactly, is your car's audio setup? Also, if you could post pictures I would be forever in your debt.
Well, unfortunately, I have an 01 without the in-dash 6cd changer. I don't know exactly how it works with the 02-03, but according to the manufacturer, it should work. Right now, the adapter plugs into the external cd-changer slot on the back of the stock unit. My car did not come with a cd-changer so all I had to do was plug this unit in. I can post pictures later tonight, as I don't have access to a camera at the moment.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 AM

listen all, i worked as an installer with Circuit city and the harmon karmon are nice but WAY too much money. If you dont go with the USA spec which is the best choice, you can go to circuit city and buy for 50 dollars an in line fm modulator for overhead tv's. This is the same this as the harmon except you have to control the Ipod from the actual ipod not from an external screen. This kit also has a switch to turn the fm mod on and off. I have installed them in not only maximas but in tons of other cars. If you are considering all you options then this is the way to go if you are not ready to buy a new radio. If you need help you can PM me and ill talk to you about it.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM

AEMAXIMA, your setup is what I want, but I'm pretty sure if the CD changer input is occupied by the changer, you can't install both at the same time, regardless of what the manufacturer is saying.

Also, I'm assuming you plug in the iPod via the dock connector, since its being charged?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 AM

I am in the same boat as the OP.. 03 I35 with 6 disc changer in the trunk... How can we toggle inputs between the CD player, and have the Ipod or phone mp3 player play wired up? I would consider unplugging my 6 disc changer if this would cure all, but it would be nice to keep everything and add a net new Aux in..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 AM

I like this setup,

http://thebettertons.com/ipodinstall.htm

but it would be difficult to change songs since the iPod is in sort of an awkward location.

This is pretty much ideal if a wire-type dock connector was used, while still being able to charge the pod
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM

JROD- Once I get my camera, I can show you how I have mine set up. I took the cupholders out of the console and drilled a hole big enough for the small end of the dock connector to fit through. I don't know off the top of my head how different the cupholder mechanism is from the '01 to the '02s, but the 01 allows me to completely conceal the ipod while charging and listening. A picture would be easier to explain with, but I'll get that as soon as I can. and btw, yes, the dock connector is being used.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Pics will be cool, thanks AE

Solution (but expensive, more than I'm looking to spend):
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/product_in...oducts_id=1064
Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 AM

I like this setup,

http://thebettertons.com/ipodinstall.htm

but it would be difficult to change songs since the iPod is in sort of an awkward location.

This is pretty much ideal if a wire-type dock connector was used, while still being able to charge the pod
this is the FM Mod i was referring to and its cheap
Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would there be a way to tap into the tape deck audio outputs? Could we just cut / splice the tape deck outputs with standard RCA wires and act as AUX?

I haven't touched a physical tape in I don't know how long.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 AM

JROD- Here are the pictures of where I have my iPod adapter.

Here's the cupholder cover closed

Here's where the dock connector comes out of the hole in the cupholder

Another

Hope this helps!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM

I'm tired of using FM transmitter and starting to burn CDs. lol
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
You can't beat the sound quality of the usaspec ipod adapter. As long as you have an iPod, it's worth every penny, IMO. There's nothing like having your entire library at your disposal anywhere you go.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 PM

I'm doing the same... and I lightscribe everything I burn = serious time investment. Also, I experience the audio cutout so frequently on cold days I get enraged. I'm getting a replacement battery for my iPod so it should be back in order soon. Now I just have to tear apart my headunit and install the adapter.

Quote: Yesterday 07:22 AM
scrhale Would there be a way to tap into the tape deck audio outputs? Could we just cut / splice the tape deck outputs with standard RCA wires and act as AUX?

I haven't touched a physical tape in I don't know how long. /Quote

This is an interesting suggestion. I'd like to see what the experts have to say.

Thanks for the illustration, AEMAXIMA. Exactly what I had pictured, except the cable comes out the front. On review though, I think the back would be even more unobtrusive. Nice work. Amazon states: "Note: PA11NIS is NOT compatible with vehicles featuring factory equipped external CD changers (must unplug to add PA11TOY), satellite radio, or video system. Radio MUST have CD changer control capability."

Sooo, I think we of 6disc changer ownership are SOL on the PA11 NIS.
Looks like that Audiovox FM modulator is the way to go. I hope I can figure out how to charge my iPod with that setup.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 AM

So is there an external cd-changer port on the back of the stock 6cd changer stereo's from the 02-03's? I guess I'm just not familiar with the backside of those units. The usaspec user manual for the PA11-NIS states that it will work on 99-2006 maximas. It does not state however if an in-dash 6-cd changer is compatible though. I can't seem to find any reviews with anyone stating that they have the in-dash and this unit. Good luck with whatever you choose. You may try sending an email to USASpec and ask them specifically about your unit.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Yeah that's what I'll have to do. There is a port for a external CD changer on the back of the stock Bose HU, but it's occupied (obviously) by the indash changer... therefore, the only way for the USAspec to plug in would be for it to go inline between the changer and the HU. My question is if the USAspec has its own CD in port, so that it could be place between the HU and the changer and still have full functionality of the changer while being able to plug in my iPod simultaneously. That, and the ability to switch on the fly without adjusting anything behind the HU.

In one guy's review (i think for an '06 G35 with changer) he says that he just presses the CD/CHG button twice to toggle between cd changer and ipod. Not sure if this would work for me though. Guess I'll shoot USAspec an email.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM

IIRC, when I installed my usaspec, there was a female plug for the stock HU harness to plug into, and then another male plug from usaspec to plug back into the HU to make that in-line. My max did not come with the stock cd-changer in the trunk, so the cd-changer port was open. When you plug in the usaspec to the cd-changer port, it does not allow for another in-line connection. When I want to switch from single cd to usaspec, I press the CD/CHG button to toggle back and forth. I just have no idea if this will work with the in-dash 6cd changer. On the G35, I believe it is a remote cd-changer. So that would be something to ask usaspec about how that can be accomplished (something has to be inline for that person to use both simultaneously).
Old 04-16-2008, 03:08 PM

So I sent USA Spec an email:

Hello,
>
> I'm the owner of a 2002 Nissan Maxima with the Bose sound system and
> in-dash 6 CD changer. I'm interested in a hardwired iPod solution, and
> your PA11 NIS seems to be the most practical. However, I've seen
> conflicting reviews on whether or not your hardware works without
> disabling the CD changer. For instance, Amazon.com states:
>
> "Note: PA11NIS is NOT compatible with vehicles featuring factory equipped
> external CD changers (must unplug to add PA11TOY), satellite radio, or
> video system. Radio MUST have CD changer control capability."

> I've heard different elsewhere though.
> Would it be possible to install the PA11 NIS in my vehicle and be able to
> switch on the fly between iPod and CD?

> Thanks,

The response:
"Honest answer is it should work, we have heard about some radios that have
a different plug but so far have never confirmed it,, so I thnik you are
ok with this vehicle, but can not give you a 100% GUARANTEE

Thanks"

Fantastic. THEY don't even know.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 PM

This sounds like it will work with my 03 Bose w/6disc external.. I lose the changer, but gain the aux in.. Fair trade IF it works..
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

SIMPLE solution, IMO replace the factory system. i know some of us aren't into the systems 100% or are investing money in other modifications but honestly the best overall sound is to tear out that BOSE. then you can have a direct hookup for your I-pod.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
This sounds like it will work with my 03 Bose w/6disc external.. I lose the changer, but gain the aux in.. Fair trade IF it works..
It works, but you'll lose the CD changer = not a fair trade, in my opinion. If there is something installed in my car, it had better damn well work. Is you changer in the trunk or something?

Teaner,

1. I'm in college. I'm not poor, but I don't have money lying around to yank out the entire stereo system and replace it.
2. Time. I have no time to do this either.
3. I like the looks of the stock stereo. Plus I think an aftermarket HU will not really help the car's resale value.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Cletus

im fine with my factory bose...i like the clean factory look
Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 PM

It works, but you'll lose the CD changer = not a fair trade, in my opinion. If there is something installed in my car, it had better damn well work. Is you changer in the trunk or something?
I have the factory nav in my 03 I35 so the six disc is in the trunk... I dont mind losing it for a Ipod/Moto Q input or Dvd audio.. Video will be fed eventually from a dvd to the nav screen so i still have a couple options if the spec works.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM

If you want to be able to hook up your ipod to your stock stereo, this is probably your best bet, if it in fact does work. It might disable your in-dash 6cd changer, but IMO it would be worth it. An ipod can hold a heck of a lot more music than 6cds can. But if you don't want to risk losing the in-dash, I think you might be stuck. Just my .02.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM

I have the in-dash 6 disc in an '02GLE. From what I have read, the USA-Spec should simply act as the 6th disc track #1 in the changer. Also, You shouldn't lose your cd changer all together unless you have an external.

The one thing that is preventing me from purchasing this unit is the fact that My CD player won't play any CD's because of the known issue with the decks. Does anyone know if this would prevent the USA-Spec from working?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM

Can some one take pic of the Radio to show the one that the USA+SPEC kit will work in
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B000I6LIGG
I have a 2k3 with bose i was looking at it but i dont see any "cd changer" button?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zack342
Can some one take pic of the Radio to show the one that the USA+SPEC kit will work in
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Infinit.../dp/B000I6LIGG
I have a 2k3 with bose i was looking at it but i dont see any "cd changer" button?
me neither.
I was thinking will this device work on 5.5th with bose HV since it doesn't have the CHG button.
I found this picture with all the plugs showing clearly. as long as they fit, I think there will be no problem.

Last edited by jasonmax; 04-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM

From reading the owners manual, the usa-spec should simply plug into the existing wire harness. On the 5.5 without the external changer, their is no need for a cd changer button. To activate the usa-spec, simply push the cd button, then switch to cd #6 track #1. This will give you direct connect. Their is also an option to control the ipod through the stock head unit.

I will be purchasing one of these today.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ckent512
From reading the owners manual, the usa-spec should simply plug into the existing wire harness. On the 5.5 without the external changer, their is no need for a cd changer button. To activate the usa-spec, simply push the cd button, then switch to cd #6 track #1. This will give you direct connect. Their is also an option to control the ipod through the stock head unit.

I will be purchasing one of these today.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM

I think there is some confusion over the CD buttons on the different sound systems. My SE has the 200-watt Bose system (I don't think the GXE has it) with a 6 disc in-dash changer and the HU button says "CD6," not CD CHG or anything like that
Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Cletus

I think there is some confusion over the CD buttons on the different sound systems. My SE has the 200-watt Bose system (I don't think the GXE has it) with a 6 disc in-dash changer and the HU button says "CD6," not CD CHG or anything like that
00-01 bose - 6 disk changer in the trunk
02-03 bose - 6 disk changer in HU
Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Direct connect won't work

I've got the '03 Bose w/6-disc changer in dash.

I bought the Neo Prolink v2 (which looks identical to the AUXNISSv3). After spending 2 hours with a Best Buy service tech and 2 phone calls to tech support, we've concluded that it's not possible to connect an iPod using any of these adapters.

Unlike the '00-'01 Bose w/trunk changer, the '02 & '03 don't have the aux port needed to connect anything to it. The most frustrating part is that the tech support line swears it should work, but they seemed to know about as much as an outsourced phone operator reading a script. I plan to call Monday for a refund.

I'm interested in learning more about the FM modulator. Is that a direct connection; if so, how? There are only 3 ports on the back of the HU and they're all used.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JCBrenny
I've got the '03 Bose w/6-disc changer in dash.

I bought the Neo Prolink v2 (which looks identical to the AUXNISSv3). After spending 2 hours with a Best Buy service tech and 2 phone calls to tech support, we've concluded that it's not possible to connect an iPod using any of these adapters.

Unlike the '00-'01 Bose w/trunk changer, the '02 & '03 don't have the aux port needed to connect anything to it. The most frustrating part is that the tech support line swears it should work, but they seemed to know about as much as an outsourced phone operator reading a script. I plan to call Monday for a refund.

I'm interested in learning more about the FM modulator. Is that a direct connection; if so, how? There are only 3 ports on the back of the HU and they're all used.
This is what I was worrying about. 5.5th BOSE doesn't have the CD-Changer port.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

This is what I was worrying about. 5.5th BOSE doesn't have the CD-Changer port.
So there still is hope for the I35 folks with existing changers in the trunk (nav only)..
Time to wait for the 3G Iphone.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002SE AUX switch w/ 6CD Changer