5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP PLEASE!!! Fuel injector problems on a 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP PLEASE!!! Fuel injector problems on a 2002?

I recently got an 02 Maxima, it has 107k miles but I got it at a decent price and it seemed to be running fine. I've been driving it since Monday, with no problems, but yesterday I was driving and then the check engine light came on. The car was driving fine so I didn't think it was a big deal. I was driving local for about an hour then the car started to idle weird. It normally idles a little below 1k rpms, maybe around 800. When the car was stopped (idling), it would drop down to 4-500 then go back to normal every couple of seconds. Also, the car would accelerate very oddly. Sometimes it was fine, but sometimes it would cut out and I would have to let go of the gas and then try press again. Very unsettling to say the least. At red lights it would die on me. I ended up jumping on the highway and I made it back home (very slowly). I took it to my local mechanic, and sure enough the codes were saying it was running lean. The car was sitting around for about an hour before my mechanic got a chance to look at it. I went out with him on a short drive and the problems completely disappeared. He said it might by crap that gets kicked up in the gas tank and clogs up the injectors, but if it sits for a while the crap settles. Seems to make sense. He said without witnessing the problem he can't say for sure but it might be the injectors that need to be replaced. He said it would run 6-700 bucks for parts and labor since its a tough job.
I just got the car back today, and its driving fine, but I'm not sure what to do. I put half a can of seafoam in the tank to clean the injectors out.

I was reading up on these forums and there were a few instances and the symptoms do sound somewhat similar.

Has anybody had any experiences with a problem like this. If so was it in fact the injectors? Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

My guess would be MAF. EXACTLY what code(s) were pulled?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM

I should have written them down. It was three codes and I think 2 of them were indicating that it was running lean. The light was cleared, but if it comes back up I'll record the codes. It seems different from a MAF problem. The problem is definitely intermittent, and right now it seems to be running fine.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

pour 93 octane with a FULL Seafoam bottle and drive it normally, this will clean your injectors...then keep it up with real gas and Seafoam.... i do it all the time and the car runs like a champ after 146k miles
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM

use some injector cleaner probebly will cure this.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Ok, I guess I'll give it a try before going ahead with the work. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM

lean code is normally due to the airflow meter (MAF). However it could be caused by other things too, and probably clogged injectors would be the last thing to check.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by NisTech
lean code is normally due to the airflow meter (MAF). However it could be caused by other things too, and probably clogged injectors would be the last thing to check.
If not the MAF (replaced the MAF recently), what else do you think may be causing the problem?

When I was driving this weekend, the same thing happened to me, and the car was dying. It feels almost like the car is backfiring. Sometimes the car is unresponsive to when I step on the gas, then is "backfires" and accelerates.
Once I pulled into the gas station I filled the gas and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Once I got back in and started it up the problem went away. I drove home in about an hour and the problem never came back.

I'm really confused to what the problem might be. Fuel injectors? Gas? one of the senors? Maybe a bad connection with something that has to do with the injectors?

Any more ideas/suggestions?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by MaxTooNice
If not the MAF (replaced the MAF recently), what else do you think may be causing the problem?

When I was driving this weekend, the same thing happened to me, and the car was dying. It feels almost like the car is backfiring. Sometimes the car is unresponsive to when I step on the gas, then is "backfires" and accelerates.
Once I pulled into the gas station I filled the gas and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Once I got back in and started it up the problem went away. I drove home in about an hour and the problem never came back.

I'm really confused to what the problem might be. Fuel injectors? Gas? one of the senors? Maybe a bad connection with something that has to do with the injectors?

Any more ideas/suggestions?
I have a similar problem like that too. I am getting the p0171 - system too lean. I replaced the bank 1 front 02 sensor and the code went away. But the same code came back 10 days later. If it's not the MAF, could it be the catalytic converter? I only have 76k mileage. I think I am still cover under warranty. Should i go to the dealer to check it out? Will they charge me if it is not the catalytic converter that is causing the problem? Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM

yeh use the high octane gas and put some techron withthe fillup
Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Intake air leak?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Cletus

to clean injectors
BG44K > anything else

we cant do anything without codes
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Since that first incident, the car's been driving fine, but the light did com back on. I ran a full bottle of seafoam in the gas, then a full bottle of chevron. I finally went back to my mechanic and hell pulled the codes:

P0171 - Fuel Injection System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

After leaving the mechanic, the light came back within about a mile of driving. Even though its driving fine now I would rather get the problem fixed before it happens again, or gets worse. I plan on dropping it off at my mechanic on the next free day I have, either tomorrow or the day after.

According to the codes I'm thinking the Fuel Injectors and gas tank sensor should be replaced. Do you guys agree?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM

I had the P0171 and a shop told me they checked the O2 sensors and they were fine and so reset the light and then it came back on in a day or two and then I finally learned it was the MAF and that solved the problem.

Have you replaced/checked the air filter? Do you use K&N or whatever brand w/ oil on it? I've heard that the oil in those filters can cause MAF issues. I'd get the codes reset because you said you have changed the MAF already and then the same code comes back??, it could be a faulty one or it has gone bad for some reason. Not sure, just my $.02.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I had the P0171 and a shop told me they checked the O2 sensors and they were fine and so reset the light and then it came back on in a day or two and then I finally learned it was the MAF and that solved the problem.

Have you replaced/checked the air filter? Do you use K&N or whatever brand w/ oil on it? I've heard that the oil in those filters can cause MAF issues. I'd get the codes reset because you said you have changed the MAF already and then the same code comes back??, it could be a faulty one or it has gone bad for some reason. Not sure, just my $.02.
The MAF was replaced, but the air filter was replaced as well... hm maybe I should try cleaning the MAF before I bring it in and get a bunch of expensive things done. If that solved your P0171 I guess its worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 AM

If cleaning the MAF doesn't work should I just replace all the injectors along with the Gas tank sensor?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

If cleaning the MAF doesn't work should I just replace all the injectors along with the Gas tank sensor?
Instead of 'patching' the possible problem (cleaning MAF) why not repalce it?

If those were the problems, (inj & FLS) I'd say it is VERY rare for all injectors (even 1) to go bad AND the FLS. I still vote MAF.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

93 Nissan Maxima GXE injector problem

Can someone tell me what a MAF is? I have been dealing with a sluggish maxima for the last few months. My mechanic, also a friend, leary about changing the injectors until we were sure of the problem. After installing the wrong injectors (for an SE), the new ones are due to be installed tomorrow.

After reading these posts I'm afraid it might not be the injectors at all, and possibly a MAF.

What is the MAF?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gcroopert
Can someone tell me what a MAF is? I have been dealing with a sluggish maxima for the last few months. My mechanic, also a friend, leary about changing the injectors until we were sure of the problem. After installing the wrong injectors (for an SE), the new ones are due to be installed tomorrow.

After reading these posts I'm afraid it might not be the injectors at all, and possibly a MAF.

What is the MAF?
Mass air flow sensor, the one on your intake tube before TP.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by gcroopert

What is the MAF?
If you need help w/a 93 GXE, post in here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....95#post6371995
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Instead of 'patching' the possible problem (cleaning MAF) why not repalce it?

If those were the problems, (inj & FLS) I'd say it is VERY rare for all injectors (even 1) to go bad AND the FLS. I still vote MAF.

I thought the problem was that oil or some other contaminates got on the actual sensor and it just needs to be cleaned off. I just came to this conclusion because the MAF was replaced along with the air filter, and others have said they have experienced problems with their MAF's after they replaced the air filters and oil from the filters contaminated the MAF.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

I thought the problem was that oil or some other contaminates got on the actual sensor and it just needs to be cleaned off. I just came to this conclusion because the MAF was replaced along with the air filter, and others have said they have experienced problems with their MAF's after they replaced the air filters and oil from the filters contaminated the MAF.
Ok, if you over oiled your filter then yes, it might cause it to fail. I've sued K&N for nearly 60k w/o a MAF problem.

Clean the MAF and see what happens it's a 5 min / 5$ job max.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 AM

I'd try everyting b4 replacing the injectors...huge expense! I've never cleaned my MAF and learned it can be done, but found out after I replace mine. Fortunately, I still have my old one.

Do be careful cleaning it, i've heard it can be messed up rather easily. But I have no experience in cleaning them.

My exp w/ bad MAF was not stalling but gutless w/ acceleration. I could hardly pass anyone cause if i put the pedal any more than 1/2 way it would bog down like it was flooded. As others have said, it's likely the MAF. Should you get ANOTHER new one, get it from Dave B and not locally...not sure if you know of him or not, but my local dealers wanted $500-$600 installed...fortunately i learned about this site and saved myself paying that money!!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
replacing the injectors...huge expense!
I agree with your logic, but:

1.) It is not that expensive (Cost me 90$ & ~ 60min)
Point being, it is VERY highly unlikely your injectors.

2.) Seems as if we all are leaning towards MAF. Buy one and if it is not the problem, sell it on here, I'm sure it will sell very quickly. It can be bought for fairly cheap, read this thread for further information re: 00-01 MAF in 02-03)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....878&highlight=
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM

update:

Cleaned off the MAF and the difference in power and response is definitely noticeable. Got the SES light cleared and unfortunately it came right back - within 2 or 3 miles.

The car still seems to be running fine. Only symptoms are a slightly rough idle and it seems like the car struggles at first when it is started up.

Any other ideas???
Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

Which code was pulled this time around?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

update:

Cleaned off the MAF and the difference in power and response is definitely noticeable. Got the SES light cleared and unfortunately it came right back - within 2 or 3 miles.

The car still seems to be running fine. Only symptoms are a slightly rough idle and it seems like the car struggles at first when it is started up.

Any other ideas???
Well what i did for my maxima when i had problems with my Mass air flow, was right after i changed the MAF i also cleaned my throttle body, which helped my car idle a lot better. Maybe you should try cleaning your TB.