5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil leak at filter/cooler base

Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 AM

Oil leak at filter/cooler base

I have a slight oil leak where the oil cooler (the base of the oil filter mount) meets the engine block. Nissan does not have enough detail in their diagram to show this gasket or to tell if this gasket is available seperate or comes built into the oil cooler (and can't be replaced seperately). Does anybody have experience or a finer detailed diagram showing this gasket and part number?
My Max is a 2003 with 174K miles and is running good.
THANKS,
Kevin in Cincinnati
Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM

The "O" ring is available. Have the damn dealer read SB 06029. It was issued a couple of years back.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Were can I look up this SB 06029 to get the o-ring part number myself. My parts guy at the dealership isn't too creative so I can't count on him.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM

can you wait till tomorrow i have the part number at work
Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Keviwe
Were can I look up this SB 06029 to get the o-ring part number myself. My parts guy at the dealership isn't too creative so I can't count on him.
Dave has posted the part number here before. Search...

Originally Posted by DAVEB
You CAN get the o-ring seperately- I'll be happy to sell you one, or ask your local guys for part # B1304-43U00. It's not in FAST, but any experienced Nissan parts guy should know about it.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok…I’m posting this here, since all the information I found on this seemed disparate throughout the forum and the thread refers to the leak behind the oil cooler.

I noticed during my last oil change there was some oil residue/sludge accumulating around the edge and underside of the oil pan and subsequently a complaint filed by the boss there was oil on the driveway. I checked it out and couldn’t find the source, so I had to clean out all the Northeast winter road filth that had built up and wait. The car sat for about half a day with no sign of a leak. I started the car up and found the leak coming from behind the oil cooler, under pressure. So…scheduled during the next oil change was an o-ring replacement as well. The FSM was minimal help, and these forums proved to be a great source. I found the part number for the oil cooler o-ring gasket (B1304-43U00) in this thread. This part required a call to three different dealerships, but I finally found one that had it. Interestingly, when I got to the parts counter, the guy there told me there was no such part for a 2003 Maxima; then ironically, a tech walked up for something and confirmed there is with the qualifier statement, “Of course there is, we change them all the time!” That really made me feel good about the durability of the gasket.

Anyhow, below are a few pictures of during and after…didn’t think to take before pictures. The first shows the oil cooler removed and in its natural 130k mile condition. I’ve included comments to help novices like myself. The hose seen on the left is one of the coolant lines. It was replaced during an oil pan gasket replacement. It only needed to be replaced because it was stabbed by a snapped drill bit while trying to drill out a bolt whose head broke off. You will see later I replaced the second hose during this repair…figured why not since I am disturbing it anyhow…and replaced the clips too with stainless steel hose clamps. The second picture is the oil cooler wiped down and cleaned up. The third picture shows where it is located and points out the coolant supply and return lines. The last picture (no comments on the belt please, it will be changed very soon) is the oil cooler returned to its place in the wild with the 23mm bolt, torqued just right. You can see the SS hose clamps. I decided to use these because I like them better than the OEM clamps.

During the work expect to lose the coolant (about a gallon in my case) unless you plug both ends. I decided to let it drain and replace with fresh, since I reused what was recovered from the oil pan fiasco. Tools and parts needed:

10mm socket (to remove the wheel well shield)
Phillips screwdriver (t o remove the wheel well shield)
Slotted screwdriver (for the hose clamps)
Approx. 4” long x ½” OD hose (will verify the ID)
(2) SS hose clamps (purchased from Lowes for about $1.50, 7/16” to 29/32” size).
23mm deep socket (for the oil cooler bolt)
(1) Oil cooler o-ring gasket (p/n: B1304-43U00)
Coolant (if needed)
Oil (will be needed)
Oil filter (I reused my old one…j/k)
Pliers (to remove the OEM hose clips)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 PM

Oil Cooler Leak 03 maxima

Hi,
Could you be able to post the pictures back again, it would help me in diagnosing the problem in my car, I will be able to get it fixed.
regards
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Location: The place were people take there talents from to go to South Beach
Great info. I just changed the oring last Saturday. No leaks as of yet. I didn't need a deepwell socket for the oil cooler... and I think I used a 22mm but I am getting old and those squiggly lines at the bottom of the sockets are getting harder and harder to read. Instead of draining the coolant I unbolted the bolts for that held the coolant line. Took about an hour. That's start to finish. Including BS with my buddy...

I'm Very Thankful for the this website and the members!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could you post the pictures again? Not only placeholders showing up in post. Thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is a great thread..Simple and to the point. Been looking for this stupid oil leak for months!!! It leaks just enough to be annoying. I thought that oil cooler piece was part of the engine and didnt come off. When I replace the o ring Ill take pics or make a little video tutorial. Doesnt look hard.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found this on a G35 site...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Vtr_Racing
Found this on a G35 site...
[IMG]G35partsphoto.jpg[/IMG]
Here ya go: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/

Change the year as needed. That way you won't have to wonder if the G35 configuration is identical.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 PM

Had me wondering where my oil leak was coming from also. Changed that O ring Nd it took care of the problem.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM

My has a few stains around it and I 'm keeping an eye on it....I'll retorque the pipe bolt first...but I'll order an oring or 2 just in case! Good thread by the way!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got the new O ring from Nissan...Much cheaper then the Infinity dealer. 02 Infinity I35 Part # 21304-JA11A. 9 bucks. I got the guy to print me a coipy of the schematic. Just in case someone stumbles upon this forum like I did. I had no idea that was 2 pieces! Thanks Nellege....Lots of info there!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Vtr_Racing; 01-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, video done...No leak!!! Woohoo....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWUN...1&feature=plcp
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. I guess I will be doing this soon.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Get Off My Lawn

My parts guy (www.nissanpartsasap.com) was very helpful. He sold me three peices because he stated sometimes, depending on year/production date, that there not only is the ring that sits behind the cooler, but there may also be a rubber o-ring that goes on the bolt which holds the cooler in place. He also said there are sometimes two different ring gaskets for the back. Since the two ring gaskets were a little different in size, they actually BOTH fit on mine. I had read that even after fixing this, sometimes it will begin to leak again. So, I actually used both the ring gaskets for behind the coolers and put a little black silcine on there as well. I expect to have no further problems. I ended up not having the o-ring for the bolt, so I took it back.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will check that out with my parts guy for sure!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Vtr_Racing
Ok, video done...No leak!!! Woohoo....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWUN...1&feature=plcp
Wow...great video!

I'll need to take care of this in my next oil change. Thanks!

One question, I saw you clamped off the coolant supply line. How much coolant did you lose in the process?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Wow. This explains my issue as well. Doesnt seem like a hard process. Will do next time. Any idea how much part $$?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Guy in video said $8 for the o-ring.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Wow...great video!

I'll need to take care of this in my next oil change. Thanks!

One question, I saw you clamped off the coolant supply line. How much coolant did you lose in the process?
I did mine last week including replacing the coolant tube. Without clamping the hoses, expect to lose one gallon...
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
My parts guy (www.nissanpartsasap.com) was very helpful. He sold me three peices because he stated sometimes, depending on year/production date, that there not only is the ring that sits behind the cooler, but there may also be a rubber o-ring that goes on the bolt which holds the cooler in place. He also said there are sometimes two different ring gaskets for the back. Since the two ring gaskets were a little different in size, they actually BOTH fit on mine. I had read that even after fixing this, sometimes it will begin to leak again. So, I actually used both the ring gaskets for behind the coolers and put a little black silcine on there as well. I expect to have no further problems. I ended up not having the o-ring for the bolt, so I took it back.
Do you happen to have or recall the part number for that other rubber oring for the back, my dealership and another dearlership could only find (p/n: B1304-43U00)?