5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OBDII/DLC Connector Terminal L? (For ABS check)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 AM

OBDII/DLC Connector Terminal L? (For ABS check)

I have a haynes manual, and have searched online and have found the procedure for checking the codes for the ABS light. However, the haynes manual simply says "ground terminal L" and has a picture of a DLC connector from a 4th gen that doesnt match up with my 2001.

I've searched online and found people say that its "pin 8" on a 2001, but still, I can't find any wiring or connector diagrams that tell me which pin/terminal is 8/L.

Thats all I need to know...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Can't check ABS codes. Only way is having a Consult or other expensive piece of computer equipment scan. Pin #8 on the data port is accessory power and there is no L.

Edit:

Here's a diagram of the connector.

I also heard of just grounding pin 9, then turning power on to count the codes, but I'm pretty sure you can't retrieve the codes via this method. However, the ESM gives a 'ABS flash code' table.

Last edited by VQP0WER; 03-15-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM

I was able to check the ABS codes, using a combination of techniques... What worked for me was:

Drive for 60 seconds at 20mph+ (less time may have also worked)
Stop using e-brake (not touching brake pedal)
Turn off car, move to park after engine is off (no longer requires brake pedal)
Ground pin 9, turn ignition to on

ABS light will now start flashing codes, starting with 12 and then any fault codes. Pin 9 has to remain grounded the whole time

To reset, the haynes manual says that once it is in the mode described above, to unground the pin and the ABS light will stay on. Then to ground it 3 times for atleast 1 second each time within a 12.5 second window to reset the codes, and turn off the ABS light.

I tried this 3 times with both pins 9 and 8, and while the ABS light turned off like it should, it did not reset the codes if I tried checking it again.

I grounded pin 9 3 times very quickly, and the ABS light did not turn off, but it did reset the codes

Thanks for the diagram, it helped quite a bit
Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Why would it reset the codes if you haven't diagnosed the problem that caused it?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Why would it reset the codes if you haven't diagnosed the problem that caused it?
Isn't that the point of resetting them, same as CEL?

IIRC the CEL turns off after X number of engine starts, and will be tripped again by any sensor etc that is truly faulty, but still maintaining any "ghost codes" that had been stored.

FYI resetting ABS light, drove around for a bit and it came back on... quickly verifies that there is actually a problem with my rear right speed sensor

Seems contrary to popular belief to what I've seen that people think you can't check the ABS codes on the 5th gen yourself, just took a bit of leg work

Also, how would it know if I've diagnosed the problem? The reset sequence must exist for a reason...

Last edited by tomservo291; 03-15-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tomservo291
Isn't that the point of resetting them, same as CEL?

IIRC the CEL turns off after X number of engine starts, and will be tripped again by any sensor etc that is truly faulty, but still maintaining any "ghost codes" that had been stored.

FYI resetting ABS light, drove around for a bit and it came back on... quickly verifies that there is actually a problem with my rear right speed sensor

Seems contrary to popular belief to what I've seen that people think you can't check the ABS codes on the 5th gen yourself, just took a bit of leg work

Also, how would it know if I've diagnosed the problem? The reset sequence must exist for a reason...
I believe he was under the impression that you cleared the codes without reading them first, or something.

You can't check ABS codes with this technique on an A33B, I believe that's where the confusion comes from, people calling them 5th gens.

FWIW, the OBD-II DLC format and pinout is exactly the same between the 4th and 5th gens (and every other OBD-II vehicle), as far as pin number goes. Not sure why you thought they were different.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:56 PM

I think i read some where that the cruise control WONT work if the ABS actuator/pump is bad..... or that if you have an ABS light and you can still use cruise control its one of the four speed sensors??

Is this true?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know where the sensors and actuator are located? I've got a 2001 with the ABS light on, and a 2000 for parts. I'm going to attempt to just switch the sensors over
Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by celticsbig3
Does anyone know where the sensors and actuator are located? I've got a 2001 with the ABS light on, and a 2000 for parts. I'm going to attempt to just switch the sensors over
Why not actually check the codes first? Be a lot easier and quicker than just throwing parts at it. Mind you if you change out the actuator, you'll have to bleed the entire system.

The sensors are at each individual wheel, and the actuator is under the hood by the master cylinder.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 AM

I also have the ABS light on. grounded pin 9 it gave me code 31, Right rear sensor. I think it may be a ghost code so I want to clear the ABS light. I did the 3 ground taps in 12 sec for pin 9 but the code woun't clear. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sammy Z
I also have the ABS light on. grounded pin 9 it gave me code 31, Right rear sensor. I think it may be a ghost code so I want to clear the ABS light. I did the 3 ground taps in 12 sec for pin 9 but the code woun't clear. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
I would imagine you haven't rectified the problem that is causing the code.
Have you tested the right rear sensor?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Yes, the code is 31 which is open circuit R. rear wheel. I cleaned the sensor then put a volt meter on it and as the wheel turns, the voltage increases. I checked the Rear left, it has the same response. I did the check when the wiring comes into the car, under the rear seat, to be sure it's not a bad connector at the wheel.

I could replace the sensor but I dont want to waste $140 if that's not the problem. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Sammy Z
Yes, the code is 31 which is open circuit R. rear wheel. I cleaned the sensor then put a volt meter on it and as the wheel turns, the voltage increases. I checked the Rear left, it has the same response. I did the check when the wiring comes into the car, under the rear seat, to be sure it's not a bad connector at the wheel.

I could replace the sensor but I dont want to waste $140 if that's not the problem. Any ideas?
You really should've posted this in the newbie thread, rather than trying to follow responses across two other threads that aren't yours.

In any case, again, have you or have you not tested the harness all the way back to the ABS control unit?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Sorry about that, I thnk I did also put something on the newbe thread as well. The answer in no, I did not trace the signal to the ABS control harness. I did re-seat the harness on the ABS unit, hoping that will help, but I guess I need to trace the signal to be sure it's going from the back wheel to the harness. Is there any tip on doing that? it's in a bad location.