5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

driver side door hanging low

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM

driver side door hanging low

my driver side door seems to be hanging low, where the lock is hitting the strike ring (if that's what its called). There isn't any signs of scraping on the door or door frame. If the door is closed gently, you can feel it hitting something before it actually hits the lock. If any of this makes any sense, I guess can the door be raised or adjusted. thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM

my car does the same im pretty sure the hinge is shot
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
It's business time.

The door is sagging and it's probably the result of a worn hinge assembly. You may have to have it replaced.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 PM

i tried tugging and rocking the door, but its pretty solid with no give at all.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 PM

I cut two shims out of plastic milk jugs, same size of the plate of the bottom hinge of the door that attaches to the car body, made holes to match those of the bolts on that same plate and sandwiched them between it and the body of the car.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say that shims go between the part of the bottom hinge that attaches to the door (not the car body).

Last edited by Nelsito65; 10-26-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM

I have the same problem. I was going to adjust the striker plate, lower it down but the screw would not budge.

The hinge can be adjusted but looks like you have to remove the fender to get in there?

This banging of the door is so annoying and the sound hurts the ear. It is supposed to be a thud...but instead it is a long bang. And half the time the door is not closed and have to re-close it.

Sucks.

We need a repair on this, how did this work, see bottom? Good? So you shim the bottom hinge? How does that help with the mis-alignment? Thanks.

I cut two shims out of plastic milk jugs, same size of the plate of the bottom hinge of the door that attaches to the car body, made holes to match those of the bolts on that same plate and sandwiched them between it and the body of the car.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have the same problem. I was going to adjust the striker plate, lower it down but the screw would not budge.

The hinge can be adjusted but looks like you have to remove the fender to get in there?

This banging of the door is so annoying and the sound hurts the ear. It is supposed to be a thud...but instead it is a long bang. And half the time the door is not closed and have to re-close it.

Sucks.

We need a repair on this, how did this work, see bottom? Good? So you shim the bottom hinge? How does that help with the mis-alignment? Thanks.

Yes, I shim the bottom hinge only, and I meant to say that the shims go between the part of the bottom hinge that attaches to the door, not the car body, as I stated in my previous message, which I just edited, BTW. The shimming would raises the door up in a way that is like rotating it around the top hinge, bringing it closer to alignment.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 AM

Got it Nelsito. You ended up taking the door down I take it. Put the shims in and solved the problem. Probably a steel shim is much better? The plastic will compress in time?

Let me repeat:

Shim the bottom hinge (attached to the door) with 2 plastic jug material.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM

The shims in the bettom will raise the door, I can see the logic now. Great repair strategy.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM

just last week i solved this problem. I think i did it the hard way, but i unbolted the hinges from the door and had a friend hold on it it while it was still electrically attached. then i loosened the hinges from the body and they have a little bit of play in them once loosened. For me i adjusted them slightly upwards, tightened everything back down and it closes perfectly now. It all took about 10 minutes. I set up a jack with a pad on it for my friend to balance the door on too, because it starts to get heavy.

I think you can take for front quarter panel off and get to the screws that hold the hinges to the body and it would probably be much more precise but i got lucky and got them right the first time.

Another note for those needing to buy new hinges because theirs are sagging. The hinges have an "L" and an "R" on them this does NOT correspond with left and right side, i have no idea what it means but each side has an L and an R hinge
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 AM

yup..this is very common on many nissans-my 88 stanza did it, my 98 alti and now my 02 max (tho the wifes 01 is sturdy as can be-figures). anyway, its the hinge pins-they are soft and wear with use so usually its the drivers door is first to go. did hinge pins on the alti and it fixed no problems.
I had not considered the shim idea and I like it-may give this a shot.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM

I was planning on putting these washer-shims on the bottom hinge, door side.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Means I have to take the door down, slide the shims and re-bolt.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Feldman
just last week i solved this problem. I think i did it the hard way, but i unbolted the hinges from the door and had a friend hold on it it while it was still electrically attached. then i loosened the hinges from the body and they have a little bit of play in them once loosened. For me i adjusted them slightly upwards, tightened everything back down and it closes perfectly now. It all took about 10 minutes. I set up a jack with a pad on it for my friend to balance the door on too, because it starts to get heavy.

I think you can take for front quarter panel off and get to the screws that hold the hinges to the body and it would probably be much more precise but i got lucky and got them right the first time.

Another note for those needing to buy new hinges because theirs are sagging. The hinges have an "L" and an "R" on them this does NOT correspond with left and right side, i have no idea what it means but each side has an L and an R hinge
Did you access the hinge bolts on the body? If so how? What wrench did you use? I thought the only way you can do this is to take off the qtr panel.

Hence the shim on the door side hinge was an easier fix.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Did you access the hinge bolts on the body? If so how? What wrench did you use? I thought the only way you can do this is to take off the qtr panel.

Hence the shim on the door side hinge was an easier fix.
Did you read any of what i wrote?

I took the door from the hinges then got to the body side bolts.

It seriously only took 10 minutes to take the door off adjust the hinges and put the door back on
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Got it, sorry slow today.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

mine does the same thing. Its been like that since i bought it
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
mine does the same thing. Its been like that since i bought it
It took me almost a year to do anything about mine. I bought a Subaru for the winter and have been fixing little things on that so i decided to finally do this. I wish i had done this a long time ago, my door finally feels like it shuts smoothly
Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM

I was planning on putting these washer-shims on the bottom hinge, door side.

I would use the plastic shims. You only have to loosen the two bottom nuts and have someone pick door up. Plus plastic will not rust or scratch paint. I did mine and used aluminum shims.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM

feldman u are the man! im doing this tomorow ive been so sick of this for 3 years!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM

just so you know you are going to want to set something up so whoever is helping you can just rest the door on top of it. I used a jack with a towel folded up on top of it. That way they just have to balance it. I also put a towel in between the door and the quarter panel so the door wouldnt scratch it if my helper got lazy
Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 PM

If the hinges on these cars are just like any other, they sell the pins with the washers in the help section at the parts store. I had a t-bird where the door sagged and I purchased the help kit, used a grinder to cut the old hinge pin out and replaced it with the new one.
In the hole were the two hinges are connected by that pin, there is a copper washer that slides in between the pin and the hinge hole. Over time the washer wears out and the door saggs. Not too hard to do if you have a floor jack and someone to hold the door up. If you dont have someone to hold the door get some rope and roll the window down, tie it to the door and the other end to a ceiling beam in the garage if you have one.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM

There should be adoor hinge bushings I would check those first they are brass and weak and commonly need to be replaced I'm pretty sure all cars have them if not it's most
Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM

just so you know you are going to want to set something up so whoever is helping you can just rest the door on top of it. I used a jack with a towel folded up on top of it. That way they just have to balance it. I also put a towel in between the door and the quarter panel so the door wouldnt scratch it if my helper got lazy
ok ya ill def do the same thanks bro!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 AM

Well, I did my sagging door problem fixed by installing the washers-shims. Nothing to it. However, the real issue is the washer-pin wearing out. I will get them and will replace them. That's the real solution.

For now, it is closing with a solid thump. not unlike before...ka-blang and you needed to bang it.

Thanks for the tips. But replace the pins-bushing, that's the right thing to do as mentioned above.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM

This repair is working good. Can not believe it was a simple fix!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM

thats awesome bro, im guna do this tomorow its been a problem for so long i keep forgetting to address it lol
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Use the floor jack, will help you a lot!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Should you wash the milk jug first? Now my door smells like sour milk.

Just kidding. It took three plastic milk jug shims and the door is great now. Thanks for the how-to.

Incidentally, you can do this without removing the door by only loosening the bottom hinge nuts. I made the bolt holes in the shims slotted (open) and slid the shims right in and tightened it back down.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM

Taking the bolt out was not a big deal anyway. The steel washer will outlive the milk jug plastic shim (will outlive the car for that matter, LOL).
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 AM

the only thing i have to say i have replace my door hinge assembly 3 times on my 02 in the past 6 1/2 years i've owned it...very common prob..
Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 AM

See sig.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by fpromax02
the only thing i have to say i have replace my door hinge assembly 3 times on my 02 in the past 6 1/2 years i've owned it...very common prob..
Where do you get the hinges?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Where do you get the hinges?
You can pay $50 for new hinges, or 30 cents for washers to the same effect.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Just did this today on driver side door by myself with help from floor jack took me all of 30 mins, used rubber washers (2ea) on each bolt, now door closes smooth without that annoying cluk clunk. Much thanks to you Nelsito65
Old 11-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Bumping this thread because it helped me fix my door sag easily and cheap, 5 washers later my door closes like it never did since I got it. Took about an hour for me, but around 45 minutes of it was spent perfecting the alignment which was all pretty easy it just took a little fine-tuning.