5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

STAGG SHS STRUTS - Anyone ever here of these??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM

good stuff!! ill be buying mine next week then
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM

did anyone else with 5.5 gen try this out? Do you guys think there is a work-around for the ABS line problem (other than zip tying)?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by lake985
did anyone else with 5.5 gen try this out? Do you guys think there is a work-around for the ABS line problem (other than zip tying)?
I think they will fit, my staggs came with 3 clips for the brake line and ABS line. Take a look at the close ups in my album and compare to the ones on your car. I can see how someone can get confused cuz one of the clips is different than OEM but the line still fit.

Sorry about the pic quality, I took them with my Droid
Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 AM

i just got my struts yesterday they loook like good quality, can't wait till friday i get my maxspeed springs
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Before

After

Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM

^^^nice before and after pics
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM

nice nice man....needs some rims now LOL
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM

I just ordered a set for my 2000 Max, I'll post my review when I install them.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am new here, and I am still debating whether or not still to try these out. I think I am going to and I will let you all know. I just got my car and found out that my shocks need to be replaced. So i thought I might as well up grade at the same time. Any suggestions?? I would prefer a smooth comfortable ride. Thanks I have been reading a lot and learning a lot.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 AM

So it's been a few days, 01-maxima-24, how are you liking the new setup?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by xoticar7
I am new here, and I am still debating whether or not still to try these out. I think I am going to and I will let you all know. I just got my car and found out that my shocks need to be replaced. So i thought I might as well up grade at the same time. Any suggestions?? I would prefer a smooth comfortable ride. Thanks I have been reading a lot and learning a lot.
Well, until the results come back, if you're planning on staying stock ride height, I would suggest picking up a set of Tokico HP Blues. Closest thing to OEM ride for our cars, but still a little bit stiffer around the corners.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Well, until the results come back, if you're planning on staying stock ride height, I would suggest picking up a set of Tokico HP Blues. Closest thing to OEM ride for our cars, but still a little bit stiffer around the corners.
KYB-GR2's perform better...

...response is more precise than the HP's. (personal experience)

I stated this in another thread or two recently. I will never buy Tokico Blues again...

...very dissappointed with the ride quality.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by nismopc
KYB-GR2's perform better......response is more precise than the HP's. (personal experience)
I wouldn't say they perform better, the GR2's definately are a firmer strut. I run them on my truck. The Blues have much less rebound dampening and provide a very smooth compliant ride. It's all up to personal ride preferance.

I love the ride the Illuminas give on my 4th gen, with a bit more rebound dampening then the Blues have, you get the best of both worlds plus the adjustability. You can go from cushy smooth to nice and firm (KYB style?) in less them 2 minutes. That does come with a price though...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by lake985
So it's been a few days, 01-maxima-24, how are you liking the new setup?
So far so good . I did bottom out once so far when I had 3 people in the car and I went over a dip too fast but it wasn't bad at all, just a small "thud" and the car rebounded fast and smooth. The ride is a little bumpier than stock which is expected from the Progress drop but my daughter hasn't noticed and my girlfriend isn't complaining so I guess its not that bad. I went over a couple small potholes, the car rebounded very fast, had no steering wheel jerk and barely made a sound. There is a lot less body roll around turns but still not gonna take corners too fast cuz I dont wanna tear my cv boots. By far the part I enjoy most about this setup is the stability I feel on the freeway, I love how fast I can take the juntions with only minimal body roll.

so far my review is
Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, you have been a big help. I think I will give the staggs a shot with stock springs and let you guys know. At least till I can save up for the Illumina's. Those look pretty sweet plus I like a nice comfort ride.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah I think I'll give them a shot with my stock springs also...hopefully that will prevent any bottoming out.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 AM

chances are im gonna give these a shot myself with a set of maxspeed springs... i emailed the seller on ebay and they said nothing more than a 1.5 inch drop but who knows..
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I wouldn't say they perform better, the GR2's definately are a firmer strut. I run them on my truck. The Blues have much less rebound dampening and provide a very smooth compliant ride. It's all up to personal ride preferance.

I love the ride the Illuminas give on my 4th gen, with a bit more rebound dampening then the Blues have, you get the best of both worlds plus the adjustability. You can go from cushy smooth to nice and firm (KYB style?) in less them 2 minutes. That does come with a price though...
I agree totally. That's the main reason I took the blues off my max. The ride felt to soft(compliant) for my taste. I don't understand all the comparison between stock and HP being similar in ride quality because this is totally false. Stock is much stiffer the HP. You can do the push test and it takes way more effect to push down on the corners of the car with stock struts in place. If you want a nice cushy ride for your max, by all means buy HP. I ve never had GR2 so I cant comment on them.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM

UPDATE:
i went to put on my new struts and springs today and all was great until i went to pull the car out of the bay and and it wouldn't move and it started griding WTF? damn axle was broken so my wife went to autozone to get another axle and guess what they gave her the wrong one. DAMN IT!!!! so tomarrow ima go to the dealer and get a new hub nut and im take that damn axle back to autozone and swing buy napa and buy another axle. what a day..........
Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM

Well, I got bit in the rearend by that stupid axle nut that just won't stay tight even after 180lbs plus of torque. This is the third front passenger side bearing I have replaced. I tighten it with the wheel off the ground and use the neighbor's torque wrench to get it to 150lbs and then I go beyond that with a breaker bar and pipe. Might be a discussion for another thread. I have the spindle off and might be putting the Stagg SHS struts on the front tonight. I also went ahead and bought MOOG sway bar end links, they are shot and is probably what is making the noise. I'll do the rears another day due to time constraints.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM

As far as that nut is concerned, i ended up having to replace my entire spindle to get it to stay tight....just fyi
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM

i replaced the axle and been driving on the new set up for about 4 days now not to bad im pleased with it. not a bad way to spend $270 on a suspension (struts and springs) and ($40 for the axle) new!!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Anymore updates on these? I need new struts for my car and was considering these to save a few bucks. I'm staying with the stock springs. I think I'm getting a little too old (34) to be 'modding' my car. I will be purchasing a classic car and all of my 'extra' money will go to restoring it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM

34 is not to old to modd a car. Come one Im 32 and still very young and alive. I want a fast modded car Just wish I could afford it
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM

I know JDMWERKS has them out of stock right now...i was supposed to order them for my birthday lasy week but he says he should have some in sometime in may!! Cant wait!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM

I have the Stagg SHS front struts, new bearing and hub pressed in, and the same old Autozone axle. I also installed Moog sway bar end links and had Nexen N5000 tires and an alignment done, told the mechanic to check my tie rod ends. No problems there, just had a little toe-in on the front driver side wheel. I am still experiencing a vibration that shakes the passenger seat and makes the dashboard shake. The only things I can think of is either the Autozone axle is crap or do I need the bottom motor mounts. If it is an axle it feels like it's the passenger side axle. Could it be the driver side axle or both? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sticking to this thread, the front clunking noise while going over potholes is gone now and the car feels good and quiet with just the fronts being done. The Nexen tires are really quiet! One thing I noticed was the strut mounts did not seem worn at all, I replaced them anyhow. One of the old shocks skipped while pressing it in with my hand but could not make it repeat that, so they were probably bad. After doing the whole job I really feel that the source of most of the pothole noise was the end links. They were shot! I don't regret changing the struts because I don't want any odd tire wear etc and the price was right. Once I get the rear shocks done this week and ride on them for awhile I will report back.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by efanatic
34 is not to old to modd a car. Come one Im 32 and still very young and alive. I want a fast modded car Just wish I could afford it
34 Your still young.

On my way to 40 in less than a year. I'll never stop the madness. Wrenching keeps me young.

I am sure there are others older than me on this forum as well doing even more than I do.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM

Guys, you're never too old to be modding. I'm only 24, but I look forward to the comments/tips by "older" members---they tend to be more coherent and organized with their thoughts.

BOT--I'm waiting for jdmwerks to post a new batch for sale in May. Sounds like you guys are reporting fairly positive feedback thus far. My rear end is clunking over every bump.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM

haha they are gonna sell out as fast as he gets them now..lmao..its funny cuz i noticed them on ebay b4 anyone one here mentioned them but figured hmmm better not. Once it became a topic on here they sold like hot cakes! Lets hope the price doesnt jump up like everything else that gets popular!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah i hope the price doesnt jump up I am looking to get in on these too. That is one of the main reasons I am getting these ones for my progress springs, It was between these and illuminas. and well you just cant beat this price so i figured i would try them out first
Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM

^^^move over...I've been waiting first
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by maxfanfromohio
Anymore updates on these? I need new struts for my car and was considering these to save a few bucks. I'm staying with the stock springs. I think I'm getting a little too old (34) to be 'modding' my car. I will be purchasing a classic car and all of my 'extra' money will go to restoring it.
Nah, not too old to be modding your ride. I just turned 38 last month, I'm probably modding more now than I did whan I was younger, I have better access to info on products, most importantly, I have more money now than I did when I was a pup. Not MUCH more, but enough to afford some respectable mods. I still pay child support and have 2 young boys at home. The only difference is, sometimes it sucks to lay outside in the cold@ss weather all day, the body hurts the next day.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxfanfromohio
I think there is a grandpa on here who was the first guy to turbo his 6th Gen
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am in my 40's and it never gets old! In my years of working on cars, I have always enjoyed it and always will. I have a wife that, as Leno puts it, "She rather have me come home smelling like transmissin fluid than cheap perfume."
Old 05-03-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm honestly thinking about getting these or the KYB-GR2's. Just seeing where my money is right in the next couple of weeks. I def need new stuts but I need other things also.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Anyone know the update on these? when they gonna be available again, right now they only have a set of 2 fronts for 100
Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAGG...Q5fAccessories

are you sure these aren't still available. I've been hearing decent things about them but nobody has any statements on durability because they haven't been out that long.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM

after 800 miles i have officially blown my front right strut, i think one of my rear ones are starting to go as well. i guess u get what u pay for, im going to save up for some blues or illimunias.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 PM

figured that would be the result. but this is exactly what we needed a solid review after time. def go with the illuminas thats where im headed too
Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 PM

hope mine dont go out.....3000+ miles and still ok

im saving up for the Stillen lip kit and I'd hate to use that money on more struts.

Quick Reply: STAGG SHS STRUTS - Anyone ever here of these??