5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE Transmission Replacement

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE Transmission Replacement

As some of you know, I purchased a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE with a blown transmission for $500. Other than the transmission, the car is in perfect condition (Interior / Exterior).

On a more related note, I just bought a replacement transmission from a junkyard for $500. The Transmission has approximately 73,000 miles and is in pretty good shape (No burned smell from the fluid left over in the torque converter) and all the cables / hoses are intact.

Is there any kind of guide or manual to help me along the way? I bought a Chilton's Auto Repair manual for the 92-04 Maxima, but I don't see any kind of transmission replacement in the book. My neighbor has used Chiltons for awhile and they give great tips / advice .. especially for a job as big as this one.

Are there any online guides for this kind of job?

PS: If you've done an automatic transmission replacement by yourself, I'd appreciate if you guys could chime in.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM

no 5spd swap??
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM

i'd say it's pretty straightforward.

if you'l be doing it on your back i would suggest a heavy duty jack and jack stands.

the A/T trannys are much heavier than the manuals, so you will need a friend to help out.

i'd start from the bottom, removing the torque converter to flexplate bolts and bell housing bolts 1st, try and do everything under the car 1st, like axles, tq converter bolts etc.

so that way when it's ready to come out, all you would have to do is unbolt the bellhousing from the top and then lower it down ( you can always unbolt it and just let it fall since the tranny is already junk ) .

then have a friend help putting the transmission on the jack and slowly work the new tranny into the engine bay.

i haven't done A/T on my back, only done them at work, but i have done clutches on my back before .
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrood1986
no 5spd swap??
Unfortunately, I don't have the money or time to do a 5MT swap.

Originally Posted by Amave
i'd say it's pretty straightforward.

if you'l be doing it on your back i would suggest a heavy duty jack and jack stands.

the A/T trannys are much heavier than the manuals, so you will need a friend to help out.

i'd start from the bottom, removing the torque converter to flexplate bolts and bell housing bolts 1st, try and do everything under the car 1st, like axles, tq converter bolts etc.

so that way when it's ready to come out, all you would have to do is unbolt the bellhousing from the top and then lower it down ( you can always unbolt it and just let it fall since the tranny is already junk ) .

then have a friend help putting the transmission on the jack and slowly work the new tranny into the engine bay.

i haven't done A/T on my back, only done them at work, but i have done clutches on my back before .
I really appreciate your advice man. I bought the transmission and since the torque converter is seperate, I'm going to install the newer torque converter in the old transmission and see what happens.

Here's my reasoning;

I basically took it for a drive for a couple miles and here are my impressions. The transmission shifts fine all the way through 1-4, the problem lies when I am at a stand still with the brake on in D, 3, 2, 1, R. When I get going past 5 mph, the sound disappears and as I apply more throttle while I am moving, the belt sander sound comes up.

I tried a test where you put the brake / gas on at the same time (it really works the torque converter), the sound changes to a higher / faster spinning sound ..

Here's my concern: If the torque converter is damaged, doesn't it throw debris into the transmission itself?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by TylerDT

I really appreciate your advice man. I bought the transmission and since the torque converter is seperate, I'm going to install the newer torque converter in the old transmission and see what happens.

Here's my reasoning;

I basically took it for a drive for a couple miles and here are my impressions. The transmission shifts fine all the way through 1-4, the problem lies when I am at a stand still with the brake on in D, 3, 2, 1, R. When I get going past 5 mph, the sound disappears and as I apply more throttle while I am moving, the belt sander sound comes up.

I tried a test where you put the brake / gas on at the same time (it really works the torque converter), the sound changes to a higher / faster spinning sound ..

Here's my concern: If the torque converter is damaged, doesn't it throw debris into the transmission itself?

why not just install the newer trans? it's a hell of alot of work to just replace the torque converter w/o knowing exactly what the problem is.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM

(off topic)
-I've sent you a PM
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

Hi TylerDT,

I'd love to hear the diagnosis and cure! Was it only the TC? My 99 is doing the exact same thing! (same transmission I believe... RE4F04A)

Thank you!

Regards//KP

Originally Posted by TylerDT

Here's my reasoning;