5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

7th gen vq in a 5.5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM

7th gen vq in a 5.5?

hey been out of the scene for awhile. basically my 5.5 6mt broke down two years ago...the piston rings were shot, now im finally at that point where i have moneys to fix my baby. But i dont want to buy another old vq.....has anyone heard of putting the new 7th gen vq into a 5.5??? if its possible i think it would be worth putting out the extra cash for a new motor. Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by madcatz8489
hey been out of the scene for awhile. basically my 5.5 6mt broke down two years ago...the piston rings were shot, now im finally at that point where i have moneys to fix my baby. But i dont want to buy another old vq.....has anyone heard of putting the new 7th gen vq into a 5.5??? if its possible i think it would be worth putting out the extra cash for a new motor. Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA.
2 years to do a motor swap??? damn!... really tuff times... essential said some guys in Florida did this swap before, and according to what he was saying it wasnt much a difference... i was thinking of doing the samething... 7th gen motor offers more than just performance... i say go for it bro man
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
2 years to do a motor swap??? damn!... really tuff times... essential said some guys in Florida did this swap before, and according to what he was saying it wasnt much a difference... i was thinking of doing the samething... 7th gen motor offers more than just performance... i say go for it bro man
do you have a link to that forum or thread so i can read up on it, even possibly communicate with them?

ya the worst two years of my life...AND i had just finished modding it dropped bout 3k right before it died... im really interested in this but im wondering will there be a problem with the motor working with the 5.5 6mt?? and would i have to change my ecu? If i can get some good info i will definetly go this route
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by madcatz8489
do you have a link to that forum or thread so i can read up on it, even possibly communicate with them?

ya the worst two years of my life...AND i had just finished modding it dropped bout 3k right before it died... im really interested in this but im wondering will there be a problem with the motor working with the 5.5 6mt?? and would i have to change my ecu? If i can get some good info i will definetly go this route
Here you go.

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...vq37-swap.html
Old 11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

4th gen. But you get the idea.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM

possible
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by essential1

4th gen. But you get the idea.

Im undecide which is best Old Aluminium IM or New Plastic IM?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 PM

The plastic intake of the newer VQ's is better, assuming the VIAS can be properly controlled. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the 07+ Altima VQ35 have variable exhaust timing?
2. Is that a 2007+ Altima engine or a 2009+ Maxima engine?
3. Both the 07+ Altima and 09+ Maxima have the newer HR valve train correct?
4. If it does have exhaust cam timing, what can be done to run it properly on the 5.5 ECU?
5. Is the crank position sensor location the same between all VQ's?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
No, it's not 2 years to do a swap! It's 2 years for the man to save $$$$$$! Hell yours has been down probably longer than that if you add up all your downtime with those multiple transmission changes.......I wonder if that swap would be worth it......I would go a different route Madcatz but you don't have anything to lose either!
I thought you wrecked it honestly.........
Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
Im undecide which is best Old Aluminium IM or New Plastic IM?
It doesnt matter which one is better or not. You cannot put that IM on your 1st gen VQ35. Or visa versa.

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
The plastic intake of the newer VQ's is better, assuming the VIAS can be properly controlled. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the 07+ Altima VQ35 have variable exhaust timing?
2. Is that a 2007+ Altima engine or a 2009+ Maxima engine?
3. Both the 07+ Altima and 09+ Maxima have the newer HR valve train correct?
4. If it does have exhaust cam timing, what can be done to run it properly on the 5.5 ECU?

Thanks.
1. If i'm not mistaken, yes it does have variable exhaust cam timing. But dont quote me on that. Either way, This was done using 3.0 timing components.

2. The place he got the motor from get's all his motors from japan and claims that it came out of an "08 maxima". But we all know that the 08 maxima still had the older stlye VQ35 still so chances are, it came out of an altima. Most people who arent into nissans can tell the difference between the 2 anyways.

3. I dont wanna go as far as saying that it surley is exactly the HR valvtrain, but it is deffinately similar to the HR in alot of aspects. Most notibaly the head design.

4. This is outside of my relm of knowlege, but I would guess V-manage maybe?

5. I never checked where the CPS was on this one when they had the motor out, but if I had to guess, i'd say yes. Check with a FSM to verify though.

As far as how the engine performs with the 4th gen timing components goes, it's not that impressive at all. 1st gen VQ35 swaps are significantly faster than this one in a heads up race. But when dynod in the altima chassis w/ the 6 speed, they put down some impressive numbers with minor mods. So based on that, i would say that it's not worth it unless you do a full harness and ECU swap if you're going for an increase in power. But again, this is on a 4th gen chassis, so take it how you want it.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
No, it's not 2 years to do a swap! It's 2 years for the man to save $$$$$$! Hell yours has been down probably longer than that if you add up all your downtime with those multiple transmission changes.......I wonder if that swap would be worth it......I would go a different route Madcatz but you don't have anything to lose either!
I thought you wrecked it honestly.........
This upcoming march makes 2yrs since I've owned this car sooooo chill with the exaggeration.... mines was down a total of 7months and not because of $$$ or whatnot, I just had an installer that procrastinated 4 of the 6months it was down.................
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
I can't help you with any of those other questions, but I can definitively answer #5: NO, the CKPS is not in the same spot for all VQ's. The VQ35 from the '08 Quest that I put in my car earlier this year had the CKPS mounted at the 6 o'clock position on the block, whereas as we all know, the CKPS on the 02-03 VQ35 is mounted at roughly the 3 o'clock position.

Boy my ignorance to that "subtle" little difference kicked my *** for months.....