5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima power window auto-up ONE TOUCH FUNCTION fix.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having an issue and haven't found a fix on the forums. None of my windows will go up or down and my power looks dont work. I checked the fuse box under the dash that says electrical parts, I checked the one under the hood that says power windows, and the fuses are fine. I have a the 5.5 Gen 2002 6 speed. Please help
Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Ahhh thanks a lot for this one. I read all the other write ups but could never find the damn switch until I seen that picture. I imagined it was lower and closer to the hinges of the door. Works like a charm now.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM

i am not finding any button. there is a little rubber thing that looks like a button, but there is nothing underneath it.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by blkdrgn613
i am not finding any button. there is a little rubber thing that looks like a button, but there is nothing underneath it.
Under the plastic, it looks/feels like a little round black foot bumper you would find on the bottom of a laptop. Press that while doing the reset.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Under the plastic, it looks/feels like a little round black foot bumper you would find on the bottom of a laptop. Press that while doing the reset.
nothing like that. just a black rubber "nipple" that is nothing but a plug covering a hole. inside that hole i can see a round white wheel that turns when the window is moved up or down. thats it.

found this diagram, but where it shows the switch, i have a plug.

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/maxima/pro..._procedure.php
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It worked for me I was done is less than 15 Minutes but I have had my 03 Max for about 1.5 years and it happened on a Hot day. Its hard to find the switch and I was not sure if I was pressing on the right thing but I guess It was because when I felt the plastic it was indented like someone did this before.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the great write up! Pics really saved me. Just did the fix in under 10 mins. So glad I great life long Nissan friends. This place is f ing sweet!!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the write and PICTURES.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2K2 maxima window reset problem - no button

Hoping you can help. First time user of this resource, so I'll apologize up front. I own two 2k2 Maximas, one I recently purchased for my daughter. I initially had the window reset problem on my maxima which I fixed using the information found here (Thanks to all). Now I have the same issue with my daughter's car. The difference being that her car doesn't have the button as you also described in your post (I know its from last year). I have been searching through the threads and can't find a fix for a door without the button. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally Posted by blkdrgn613
nothing like that. just a black rubber "nipple" that is nothing but a plug covering a hole. inside that hole i can see a round white wheel that turns when the window is moved up or down. thats it.

found this diagram, but where it shows the switch, i have a plug.

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/maxima/pro..._procedure.php
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sfmfmax02
Hoping you can help. First time user of this resource, so I'll apologize up front. I own two 2k2 Maximas, one I recently purchased for my daughter. I initially had the window reset problem on my maxima which I fixed using the information found here (Thanks to all). Now I have the same issue with my daughter's car. The difference being that her car doesn't have the button as you also described in your post (I know its from last year). I have been searching through the threads and can't find a fix for a door without the button. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The buttons should be in the same place for all 2k2's.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought so as well. But I have two maximas and one has a hole where the button should be. when looking into the hole, you can see a plastic piece that appears to be the motor turning when operating the window. I am stumped... I was hoping there was another fix to the problem. Thanks
Originally Posted by TallTom
The buttons should be in the same place for all 2k2's.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM
^ Jeff™

This worked for my 2003, glad someone bumped it up.

RE: 2002 issues...are you sure you're looking at the right spot?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, I am definitely looking at the right spot. One maxima has the button and the other has the hole with plastic gear. I bought the second car used. Wondering if the previous owner did something here...
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
^ Jeff™

Maybe the button you're supposed to push came out?

Have you taken the whole panel off to take a better look?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Yes, I am definitely looking at the right spot. One maxima has the button and the other has the hole with plastic gear. I bought the second car used. Wondering if the previous owner did something here...
This so called 'switch' has nothing to do with electrical term - it's simply a stopper piece of rubber which has to be held in place to prevent internal sensor drum from turning during reset. I almost went nuts trying to figure out where it is 'connected' to . So, that hole is the place where it used to be, any thin piece of rubber should do the trick. Some regulators are missing this rubber stopper so this would explain why not everybody finding it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, That would explain a lot. It's been driving me a bit crazy trying to locate the button. Thank you for the information as it greatly appreciated. I will try using a piece of rubber and post a reply.
Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2K2 maxima window reset problem - no button SOLVED

Problem Solved! Thank you to MrEous and Max_5gen for your replies and suggestions. Special thank to Max5_Gen for the detailed explanation and solution suggestion! I simply used a 1/4" ratchet and pushed it into the hole while performing the reset procedure. I did it on both front windows in less than 5 minutes. My daughter and I are very happy to have this resolved. Now on to trying to fix the factory (Non Bose) radio. It lights up and performs all the functions, but no sound. Need to figiure out where to post that question as I'm still new here.

Thanks again guys!!! Very much apprciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Problem Solved! Thank you to MrEous and Max_5gen for your replies and suggestions. Special thank to Max5_Gen for the detailed explanation and solution suggestion! I simply used a 1/4" ratchet and pushed it into the hole while performing the reset procedure. I did it on both front windows in less than 5 minutes. My daughter and I are very happy to have this resolved. Now on to trying to fix the factory (Non Bose) radio. It lights up and performs all the functions, but no sound. Need to figiure out where to post that question as I'm still new here.

Thanks again guys!!! Very much apprciated.
You're welcome

Your audio unit - does it have 'mute' button by any chance?

When you say 'no sound' do you mean it literally, even if you put your ear to a speaker you don't hear anything, not even noise, not even a hump when you turn key to ACC?

Are all sound sources this way - CD/radio/tape?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 AM

I for some reason cannot find the switch or rubber peice theres a small opening on the motor it self where you can see the motor spining thats it
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjones450
I for some reason cannot find the switch or rubber peice theres a small opening on the motor it self where you can see the motor spining thats it
post #55 above
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to bump an old thread...I read this forum everyday and finally have a reason to post something. I have been living with this problem since I bought my 02 a little over a year ago. If it wasn't for you guys on this site who share your knowledge, who knows how much the dealership would have charged to do this. Fixing this issue took 5 minutes....3 minutes to fix the window and 2 minutes to brag about it to my wife! Thank you to all who contribute here!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Flizr6
If it wasn't for you guys on this site who share your knowledge, who knows how much the dealership would have charged to do this.
The repair estimate calls for removing the door panel, so they would have charged you one hour labor at whatever their rate is. However, if the technician knows how to get at the reset button through the door handle, and the dealership is fair to their customers, then they would have applied a minimum charge, which is typically a half-hour.

And if the dealership really, really likes you, they might not charge anything.

They're all different.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima auto-up function

I have a 2004 Maxima and my driver side power window auto-up ONE TOUCH FUNCTION is not working, i have to hold the button in order for it to work and close the window. I wonder if the generation five fix will also work on the generation 6??
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the post. I love that a 3 yr old thread is still available and was clear and precise....I HAVE TO MENTION THOUGH THAT MY ISSUE WAS WITH THE PASSENGER'S SIDE AND I WAS TRYING TO RESET USING THE DRIVER SIDE RESET BUTTON (WITH NO SUCCESS) TOOK ALMOST AN HOUR OF TRYING TO FINALLY FIGURE OUT THAT I NEEDED TO RESET THE SIDE WITH THE ISSUE!!!!!! Great post and highly appreciated
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by druu1
Thanks for the post. I love that a 3 yr old thread is still available and was clear and precise....I HAVE TO MENTION THOUGH THAT MY ISSUE WAS WITH THE PASSENGER'S SIDE AND I WAS TRYING TO RESET USING THE DRIVER SIDE RESET BUTTON (WITH NO SUCCESS) TOOK ALMOST AN HOUR OF TRYING TO FINALLY FIGURE OUT THAT I NEEDED TO RESET THE SIDE WITH THE ISSUE!!!!!! Great post and highly appreciated
Good point. I recently got 02 Maxima and both front windows had this issue. Reset the driver side and it started working good, then went to the passenger side and reset it, and again started working great. Took me 5 minutes as I was taking my time trying to not brake things.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!!! The pictures and instructions were perfect, and I was able to fix my passenger side window on my 2002 I35. Exactly the same door panel layout in the Infiniti. Took me no more than 10 minutes. And like everyone said, the limit switch is easy to miss.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Oh. My. God. I've had this annoying issue for 3 1/2 years! I can't believe it's such an easy fix
Old 03-02-2015, 02:44 PM

Sweet, I need to do this on my front passenger window. Do you know if I had motor replaced on driver side if its same procedure to get auto up/down to work?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ConCon
Sweet, I need to do this on my front passenger window. Do you know if I had motor replaced on driver side if its same procedure to get auto up/down to work?
Yes it's the same, although idk if you have to do the procedure. I replaced my window motor a while back and the auto up still worked
Old 12-27-2015, 08:00 AM

Would doing this fix an issue where the auto up switch does not work at all? Just recently stopped working after I discovered that holding the unlock button on the remote lowered the windows automatically. Must have reset something?
Old 04-26-2023, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 Nissan Maxima SL

Originally Posted by vinndorr
I have a 2004 Maxima and my driver side power window auto-up ONE TOUCH FUNCTION is not working, i have to hold the button in order for it to work and close the window. I wonder if the generation five fix will also work on the generation 6??
hi dude!

did you find a solution to your issue??
I too have a 2004 Maxima with the same window auto function malfunction and nobody seems to know the fix on the 6th generation Maxima! I didn’t find ANY fix anywhere on Google search no matter where I looked!
Thanks to help!
Old 04-26-2023, 08:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Jerik
hi dude!

did you find a solution to your issue??
I too have a 2004 Maxima with the same window auto function malfunction and nobody seems to know the fix on the 6th generation Maxima! I didn’t find ANY fix anywhere on Google search no matter where I looked!
Thanks to help!
shameless and wrong section
Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
shameless and wrong section
what do you mean??
Old 04-27-2023, 05:43 AM

thanks for the rando bump! i have lived with this problem for years and just shrugged it off, it works like 50/50. at this point I may just leave it idk... one time the window didn't want to go up at all in the rain (and luckily it worked 2nd try) and that was really scary.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:45 PM

what do you mean??
You're in the 5th gen section. 6th gen (04-08) is a completely different car.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slvr2KSE5
You're in the 5th gen section. 6th gen (04-08) is a completely different car.
so what??
am I considered an intruder??
I just asked the guy who asked the same question on this same topic a couple years ago and none had commented on him with the same remark..!
I didn’t like the way I got welcomed fir the first time ever on this forum (shameless!)
We are here to help each other. It would be nice to comment kindly…
Thanks anyway!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:08 PM

so what??
am I considered an intruder??
I just asked the guy who asked the same question on this same topic a couple years ago and none had commented on him with the same remark..!
I didn’t like the way I got welcomed fir the first time ever on this forum (shameless!)
We are here to help each other. It would be nice to comment kindly…
Thanks anyway!
you got that welcome because you failed to follow basic forum etiquette. Don't respond to a 10 year old post that is also in the wrong section.

You want help... Go to the 6th gen section. Now... As a professional tech and former Nissan dealer tech I could very easily help you figure out what to do but now I don't feel like it.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slvr2KSE5
you got that welcome because you failed to follow basic forum etiquette. Don't respond to a 10 year old post that is also in the wrong section.

You want help... Go to the 6th gen section. Now... As a professional tech and former Nissan dealer tech I could very easily help you figure out what to do but now I don't feel like it.

Good luck.
Good luck to you as well former Nissan dealer tech!
you have been so helpful indeed!
Thank you sooo much!
Old 04-27-2023, 08:29 PM

Good luck to you as well former Nissan dealer tech!
you have been so helpful indeed!
Thank you sooo much!