5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Really really rough start then lots of blacksmoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Really really rough start then lots of blacksmoke

My car sits out my apartment barely driven because I have a work vehicle. It gets driven on the weekends mostly it ran fine up until today. The last time I drove it was tuesday for 20 mins no problems at all nothing then start it today it was started fine but ran really rough I didn't see where the idle was at because it I turned it off as soon as I started it, restarted it my car wasn't running as rough then it just slowly went back to normal. Drove for 30 mins to pick up my son, no problems, any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Black smoke usually is too much gas in the cylinder. You may have a problem with one (or more) of the fuel injectors. If the car does this again, turn the car off and pull the spark plugs out. Normally they are a light tan color. A plug that is in a problem cylinder will be black. You could also try some fuel injector cleaner in the gas.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM

I just had this same problem over the past year. Took me forever to track it down. Basically it would take 10+ seconds of cranking and when it finally did start, it acted like it was flooded... same black smoke, etc.

Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Damper. When you find them (search on here for the terms, I know there are pictures) you will see a fat like (fuel) and a thin line (vacuum) coming off of each of the units I mentioned.

Pull the vacuum lines on each one. If you see gas in those lines, the diaphragm is broken and the unit needs to be replaced. $250ish in parts and maybe considered a "difficult" job, but not impossible.

One thing to keep in mind is depending on how long this has been going on, your starter is probably going to die soon. Mine went a week after replacing the FPR and FD since I was running the starter for 10 seconds instead of 1 every time I started the engine, and I burnt it up. However, I also let mine go for 12,000 miles of use too while I tried to figure out the problem. My point is, if your starter is feeling weak at all or you even suspect it might go, replace it while you do the FPR/FD since you have to remove all the same stuff to access it.