5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My car won't crank (includes video to help diagnose the problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM

My car won't crank (includes video to help diagnose the problem)

I tried starting my car this morning and it didn't even crank. Sounded like it was an ignition switch issue, so I got a new ignition switch.

I tried starting the car this afternoon before installing the new ignition switch and it started to make this buzzing sound (didn't make this sound this morning). (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnV6mzW2G2w). The car still continued to make the same sound after installing the switch.

The buzz sound makes me think that the starter relay is going but I'm not sure what is the exact cause of the problem. The sound appears to be coming from somewhere underneath the dash.

Battery appears to be fine, as I can turn on the lights without problem. Also dash lights appear to be fine in the ACC position.

Not sure if there's a write-up on this issue, but if there is, please post the link below.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 PM

that sound is def your starter solinoid switch.... im curious to know why when your trying to crank your rpm tach is moving up to 12g..... to me that is unusual.... is it automatic or manual? are you near any hills? if its standard roll it down the hill with ign. on and drop the clutch if it starts you will know its your starter, the other thing befor you go ripping out your starter is to get under the car on the drivers side and locate the ground wire thats attached to your tranny bellhousing and clean it up a bit, if you can clean it up and it fires up you know the ground has become corroded and doesnt have good contact, add a ground from that bellhousing ground to your frame. i know with my car when my starter was failing(it was also a neon not a max) i could lightly tap on the starter while someone cranked it over and it would usually fire right up.... but im not to sure if that will work for you on that paticular starter. but my bet is your starter is crapped out.... let me know if any of this worked for u and good luck!
Originally Posted by frankd121
I tried starting my car this morning and it didn't even crank. Sounded like it was an ignition switch issue, so I got a new ignition switch.

I tried starting the car this afternoon before installing the new ignition switch and it started to make this buzzing sound (didn't make this sound this morning). (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnV6mzW2G2w). The car still continued to make the same sound after installing the switch.

The buzz sound makes me think that the starter relay is going but I'm not sure what is the exact cause of the problem. The sound appears to be coming from somewhere underneath the dash.

Battery appears to be fine, as I can turn on the lights without problem. Also dash lights appear to be fine in the ACC position.

Not sure if there's a write-up on this issue, but if there is, please post the link below.

Thanks!