5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GSP Passenger Axles SUCK! - 6MT - Pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM

What makes it not rebuildable? If you turn in a core engine for rebuilding they will take it even if a rod is broke piston cracked. If the manufacture cant repair a broken shaft then I dont want to buy an axle from them. If they cant rebuild it then chances are they lack the ability to fully inspect one to truely call it remanufactured. They would also have to tell u at the parts counter that if you bring back your old (BROKEN ONLY AT THE JOINT) axle then u can get x amount of dollars back on your core. I never seen anything in writing either. That can be considered false advertisement. I understand that technically you broke the part but that shouldnt matter either cuz if I was driving down a track and snapped my axle I understand chances are the warranty wont cover it because I knew what I was doing and abused the axle but I never seen any statements like that concerning cores.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM

I looked at FSM for 2000 5-speed and it does NOT show the damper on either of the axles.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
6spd Swapped

So how many people have tried these axles and have no problems with them?
http://fcpimport.com/products/nissan...t-maxima-8006n
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM

UPDATE: Only been two days, but wanted to give a operational update.

1. Absolutely NO vibration during acceleration, shifting gears or cruising speeds
2. No gear oil droppings under the tranny in the garage or anywhere I've parked
- GSP axle previously leaked even with new seal installed
3. Front end seems to be more stable on acceleration AND deceleration

I will be taking a small 120 mile round trip this evening and will report back how everything rides.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by Max0224
So how many people have tried these axles and have no problems with them?
http://fcpimport.com/products/nissan...t-maxima-8006n
I don't think many, but at least we can determine on fitment and function wise alone, DSS > GSP. Longevity has yet to be tested unless someone already has one for a while.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM

I have a new passenger side dss I will be installing on my car I deal with FCP daily thru work even when I was calling around on new axles I called the dealership to my buddy there and he told me how much they were and said they get their axles for customers from FCP also and has never had a problem at all with them at the dealership I have the new axle here if anyone needs a picture of it only down side it's for a automatic not a manual transmission vehicle. I've always gotten a bunch of my parts from them and they have great prices and usually the parts that i used to get for my vws were all the same manufacturers as vw uses at a cheaper price
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I don't think many, but at least we can determine on fitment and function wise alone, DSS > GSP. Longevity has yet to be tested unless someone already has one for a while.
Longevity isn't a big deal to me, I'm used to changing my axles every few months. I'm just interested in knowing if all that have been installed are the right size and don't shake/click. I can't even count how many different brands and stores I've bought axles from just for them to not be the right size. I ended up going to a junkyard and pulling the right axle myself so I would know it was right one. Now I bring my axle a rebuilder so I know it will fit, only problem is the downtime of waiting for it to be done. Im going to switch to 6th gen axles next change and post a how to since it seems no one has posted it yet. I just have to get a pair from a junkyard.

Last edited by OHH NOES; 02-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by Max0224
Longevity isn't a big deal to me, I'm used to changing my axles every few months. I'm just interested in knowing if all that have been installed are the right size and don't shake/click. I can't even count how many different brands and stores I've bought axles from just for them to not be the right size. I ended up going to a junkyard and pulling the right axle myself so I would know it was right one. Now I bring my axle a rebuilder so I know it will fit, only problem is the downtime of waiting for it to be done. Im going to switch to 6th gen axles next change and post a how to since it seems no one has posted it yet. I just have to get a pair from a junkyard.
Keep us posted on the 6th gen swap. I'll probably be ordering a DSS axle + Amsoil this month since mine is starting to go again. How much do you pay for a rebuild and what exactly is replaced?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
6spd Swapped

Keep us posted on the 6th gen swap. I'll probably be ordering a DSS axle + Amsoil this month since mine is starting to go again. How much do you pay for a rebuild and what exactly is replaced?
They replace the bearings, grease and boots. I'm surprised no one has posted a 6th axle swap yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM

I have to change mine and wonder if the GSP's are the only junk ones out there. OEM is quite pricey so wondering if there are any others out there youd recommend.

Thnx

Nate
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM

I just got off the phone with Marty @ Raxles and ordered a right front axle for my auto GXE. Great guy to speak with.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM

i cant see spending that kind of money for an axle that nearly has no warranty. thats the only reason i'm not paying for a raxle axle
Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 PM

what kind of vibration are we talking about here? is it very noticeable through the pedals. or does it happen when turning left or right?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i cant see spending that kind of money for an axle that nearly has no warranty. thats the only reason i'm not paying for a raxle axle
Word of mouth is good enough for me, especially when you consider hearing these horror stories of cheap ****.

But he doesn't make a pass side 2003 MT axle *cries*
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Damn and I just got one from empi for the driver side. after putting it on the car rode smooth for about a week and the passenger side started going out again after 2 months 6spd here, and i ride low as hell. so with this DSS axle, will I be able to ride from TX to FL for Maxus and back to TX?? I'm scared to put it out on the highway to go one state over because of this vibration

Last edited by Majestic Ken; 03-05-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM

http://fcpimport.com/products/infini...xima-i35-8004n

this is the one i need for my 02 automatic passenger side axle right? i need to replace my axle and don't wanna go with gps after reading everyone's reviews on it
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 AM

My car creeks every time I turn my car full left doing u turns and parking. I need new axles asap
Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM

BUMP.....so how is this DSS axle??
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Majestic Ken
BUMP.....so how is this DSS axle??
I have driven a little over 900 miles since I installed the passenger side and have noticed no issues what so ever. Very pleased.

It is extremely nice getting in the car and pulling out of garage to see no gear oil drippings on the floor as well
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 AM

im buying my axles next week...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 AM
You embarrass me.

I'm buying one this week.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM

i have mine sitting in my room waiting to be installed.. will happen once i get my car back
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM

so it came with the dampening where the axle looks like its in 3 pieces instead of 2? is anybody slammed on this axle and if so can you go over 90mph with no problem non stop? just asking because i'd like to ride out of town sometimes and I dont wanna brake down on a long trip
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

how long/many miles have you ridden like that? i really think you will be fine unless your axle has been clicking for a long time, then i wouldnt risk it because that means its definitely dooms day for your axle to fall apart. ...i know ive traveled over 3k miles on my axles since they have shown their first sling of grease and i'm still riding daily back and forth to work with an occasional romp on the gas as im passing people who are holding up both lanes..and mine are fine, aside from the vibration
Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 PM

how long/many miles have you ridden like that? i really think you will be fine unless your axle has been clicking for a long time, then i wouldnt risk it because that means its definitely dooms day for your axle to fall apart. ...i know ive traveled over 3k miles on my axles since they have shown their first sling of grease and i'm still riding daily back and forth to work with an occasional romp on the gas as im passing people who are holding up both lanes..and mine are fine, aside from the vibration
same here haha. i raised it up 2 months ago but its still kinda slammed, not to where the oil pan scrapes though like before I work 2 jobs and its kinda hard to get to work on it during the week for me. I procastinate that im gonna lift it up but I reaally need to lol cant wait to order the DSS. i'm just gonna get my cheapo rebuilt since its under warranty and keep it as a backup in case the dss blows
Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by nelledge
Leaving the consumer with the only option of a lofty bill for a new shaft.
*PAUSE*
you ghey...alright back to the thread
Old 03-18-2011, 05:03 AM

^lol
Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 AM

*update* replaced both axles w/ DSS axles, i still have vibration during accelerating, but nothing as major as i was feeling this pass weekend as my axle was basically seperating and i was 200 miles from home *talk about a scary ride home*.

so i'm going to rotate my tires, see if that eliminates my vibration.

if it doesnt (wierd theory) i'm going to lower the back to make the drop even all teh way around

if that doesnt work then im going to raise it up maybe half an inch and see what it does
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
You embarrass me.

Don't tell me that. I just ordered mine a few days ago. Got fresh AMSOIL and everything ready. Regardless, it can't be worse than what I'm rolling on now.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM

ill just say that my driver side axle basically came apart in my mechanics hands...i have two new axles as i needed them anyway since both of my axle boots were busted...so my next thing to do is rotate my tires...i seriously think thats the problem..i think its coming from teh driver side front

*edit* i'm coming to believe that it is seriously my tires, check out the link

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...PKy90QGTr_m7Dg

Last edited by phatboislim; 03-23-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM

bump for new thoughts on what the issue might really be^
Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

ill just say that my driver side axle basically came apart in my mechanics hands...i have two new axles as i needed them anyway since both of my axle boots were busted...so my next thing to do is rotate my tires...i seriously think thats the problem..i think its coming from teh driver side front

*edit* i'm coming to believe that it is seriously my tires, check out the link

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...PKy90QGTr_m7Dg
Wow, slim! That is horrible! I hope your tires aren't that bad. First, let me say that if your tire looks like this you should address it quickly. Second, I don't believe rotating the tires are going to help much. Especially not in the long run. You've either got a horrible alignment issue(did you align after the drop?), you have worn steering components (my inner tierods were completely shot and my tires didn't look that bad), or you have blown struts(are your c/o's used?). Anyway, it's not safe to drive like that. Safety is the utmost priority. However, you can also damage other suspension/steering components by driving on those tires. If you were aligned, I definitely think it won't be aligned after driving with the constant vibration.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Wow, slim! That is horrible! I hope your tires aren't that bad. First, let me say that if your tire looks like this you should address it quickly. Second, I don't believe rotating the tires are going to help much. Especially not in the long run. You've either got a horrible alignment issue(did you align after the drop?), you have worn steering components (my inner tierods were completely shot and my tires didn't look that bad), or you have blown struts(are your c/o's used?). Anyway, it's not safe to drive like that. Safety is the utmost priority. However, you can also damage other suspension/steering components by driving on those tires. If you were aligned, I definitely think it won't be aligned after driving with the constant vibration.
rotating the tires will allow me to see if they are cupped by examination and rotating them would just move the vibration (if there is one) to the back. so yes it will help, but yes not in the long run. i'm going through procedures right now, cheapest to the most expensive as i mentioned in the posts above. instead of just jumping to conclusions and spending money, its best to try the cheapest/alternatives first then move on to the bigger/more expensive things.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

rotating the tires will allow me to see if they are cupped by examination and rotating them would just move the vibration (if there is one) to the back. so yes it will help, but yes not in the long run. i'm going through procedures right now, cheapest to the most expensive as i mentioned in the posts above. instead of just jumping to conclusions and spending money, its best to try the cheapest/alternatives first then move on to the bigger/more expensive things.
How many miles on your LCA assemblies and tierods? fcpimport offers a great deal. Loaded LCAs, inner and outer tierods, and sway-bar endlinks. It's a cheap and quick way to get your DD back quickly instead of separately diagnosing every component. $140 shipped for the whole thing? C'mon. I'll even give you pointers on how to change everything. Took me about two hours on jack stands and I had trouble removing the inner tierods. This way, you can keep your stock LCAs and replace the bushings(ES) and ball joints(Moog) at your convenience.

First thing you gotta do is find a tire shop painted like a salsa (rojo or verde) and buy a cheap replacement tire for like 20 bucks. If it's the tire, you'll end up adding fatigue to the wheel bearing and other dynamic components in the rear if you keep it.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM

like i said, i'm not just going to buy parts and thats not going to solve the issue. i'm going with testing out other thigns first to pin point my problem. all that i can remember i never had issues with vibrations when i had my 19s on. my outer tie rod ends have been changed, everything else has 204k miles on it. while yes it may very well possibly be that, btu like i said in my previous post, i'm going through first things first. i cant just keep dumping money into this car just off assumptions from other persons (while yours are viable)...but, if rotating tires (seeing that they arent cupped) and raising it doesnt fix it, then its back to spending money into it.

and yes, i've been linked to that thread about the LCAs so if nothing that i do in these next few days does anything i will be purchasing the LCA kit and a set of motor mounts
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Wheel bearing+hub. my last passenger axle vibrated so bad it chewed up the bearing
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM

^i swear i was thinking it was my wheel bearing, no bull****, but everything on both wheels seem sound, there is no roaring noise, no nothing. i'm seriously thinking its my motor mounts(mainly trans mount), it only vibrates when i accelerate (putting pressure on the engine/trans) you know when you accelerate the engine moves and stays in teh position until you let off the gas, putting pressure on the components attached. i think i'm going to get motor mounts next wk pending what i try this wkend doesnt work.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM

yea check the mounts. my wheel bearing showed no sign of roaring until months later when it gave me a warning lol times was hard so i rode on it like that. all i need now is the passenger axle from dss which im gonna order tomorrow and i'll be good!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 AM
You embarrass me.

I'm ready, I'm ready...

Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM

I'm ready, I'm ready...

Curious. Does your DSS axle have the dampner? Only reason I ask is I noticed it's packaged differently than the Op Parts axle by DSS that I purchased...

Quick Reply: GSP Passenger Axles SUCK! - 6MT - Pictures.