5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM

OEM Garage door opener

I am pretty sure some models of the Max came with an OEM garage door opener. I have a GXE so have to use the regular garage door opener which I find gets in my way a lot. I was just curious as to what options were out there for OE openers and if they would just be a direct install without any cabling.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
I am pretty sure some models of the Max came with an OEM garage door opener. I have a GXE so have to use the regular garage door opener which I find gets in my way a lot. I was just curious as to what options were out there for OE openers and if they would just be a direct install without any cabling.
Uuh, I'm pretty sure that you will need to do some cabling because the energy source of the OEM door opener it's the car's battery.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Get a used sun visor that matches your interior color and the only other thing you need is power and ground, which you can get from the dome light
Old 06-10-2011, 03:48 PM

I have a 2000 GLE that came with the garage door opener. Other than needing the sunvisor with the opener built into it, the other wires may be in the A pillar.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have a 2000 GLE that came with the garage door opener. Other than needing the sunvisor with the opener built into it, the other wires may be in the A pillar.
come to think of it....if the car has lighted vanity mirror on the sun visor, the power and ground wiring for the garage door opener is already there.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by fd3rew
come to think of it....if the car has lighted vanity mirror on the sun visor, the power and ground wiring for the garage door opener is already there.
I do have a lighted mirror. Can you tell me if it is gonna be a plug or am I gonna have to splice?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM

I do have a lighted mirror. Can you tell me if it is gonna be a plug or am I gonna have to splice?
Check if you can find that plug in first place. Sometimes the manufacturers use the same wiring for every model of one kind of car, for example:

In my former Sentra I found some plugs that was from cruise control but my car come without it.

So check your FSM and search for that plug, if it comes then it will be a "piece of cake" of installation. Greetings.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM

IF you have lighed mirror, then it should be plug and play, if not it is just a matter of splice and play. There are only two wires going to the visor with and without remote controller, one is 12v and the other is ground, the remote control version also only two wires going to visor, the connection splits inside the visor and power and ground for the remote are tapped from the lighted mirror. Your only concern would be whether or not the connector is the same, chances are, for ease of manufacturing, they are identical. If not, all you need to do is splice the wires. Like I said, it will be plug and play.

As for the actual remote unit that is inside the visor, it is pretty much a standard unit made by ehome, homelink or something like that. The same unit you see in the nissan is also used in lexus models around the same era. They all have only two wires going to the visor.