5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AC bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AC bearing

Just wanted to ask a little advice - my ac bearing is making noise and my mechanic acknowledges this. However he doesn't want to replace the bearing, he wants to replace the whole compressor. His reasoning is that there's a chance for a leak and that I would have to bring it in again; therefore replace the while thing.

Is this right? Or should I be looking to have just the bearings replaced. This is a 2000 SE with 185k.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 AM

just replace it...FYI mine started about 190k and lasted til about 210k....IJS

(ill say this, since the search button is fail right now, some people have replaced just the bearing, but i'd just recommend getting another one so you dont have to worry about it again, hopefully)

either way replace it yourself and just have him recharge the system

Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 AM

Ok so just have the bearings replaced. If he's unwilling and adamant about it I'll probably go elsewhere and have it done.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 AM

He won't replace it. It's pretty frustrating but I'll have to go elsewhere. He also tells me I can't put on a shorter belt to bypass it, which I thought you could...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by VRod
He won't replace it. It's pretty frustrating but I'll have to go elsewhere. He also tells me I can't put on a shorter belt to bypass it, which I thought you could...
and what about when you actually need the a/c to help you defrost the windows or clear all the moisture from the inside of the front windshield when it gets all fogged up???

with that many miles just replace the unit and be over with.... the mechanic is right, replacing the ball bearing is an option but it will just eliminate one of the potential problems that could occur with the compressor...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Cool air is coming out though which makes me think that the compressor itself is just fine. The compressor replacement is about $700 and I'm trying to not replace the whole unit if I don't have to
Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 AM

the compressor IS fine, but just replace the unit, its easier that way. go to autozone, picked up mine for under $300...price varies in diff places though might be just over $300..maybe less
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM

I'd like to see you replace just the pulley, and then read about the results.

Last week, my mechanic replaced the tension pulley, and that eliminated about 90% of the mystery rattle noise that I've been living with for over a year now. That other 10% we're both sure now is the A/C. It gets louder with the A/C on.

However, just like your mechanic, mine is mostly sure the entire compressor needs to be replaced. I've said otherwise, and his answer was for me to research it here first, then talk more with him about it if I decide to go that route. (Your mechanic seems for more adamant about his opinions.)

Since the tension pulley solved most of my problems, I'll probably leave well-enough alone. But I can't help but be curious about this solution.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 AM

tensioner pulley is an easy replacement, i wouldnt touch going into a compressor like that, risk of screwing something up is high
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM

The A/C clutch does complicate things; yeah, I get that.

I wish Advanced Search worked... makes it impossible to research this crap.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM

agreed
Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Last year, another mechanic who listened to my engine (back then it was not so noticeable) replaced the idler pulley and that obviously didn't do anything.

So I left the mechanic today and called another person who would be willing to replace the bearing, if that was the case.

At Autozone, i found this bearing (if the hyperlink fails; it's part MT2206). For those that would know, can you confirm that this would be the correct part number?
Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM

i initially thought the noise was my oil pump, ended up being my compressor....GL w/ it and post results...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
and what about when you actually need the a/c to help you defrost the windows or clear all the moisture from the inside of the front windshield when it gets all fogged up???

with that many miles just replace the unit and be over with.... the mechanic is right, replacing the ball bearing is an option but it will just eliminate one of the potential problems that could occur with the compressor...
The AC should never come on unless you need it. I'm furious that the stupid *** thing always runs. Why the hell would I need it running when it's zero degrees? Stupid *** car manufacturers.

Heat is for defogging windshields. Idk why you're using AC.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Heat is for defogging windshields. Idk why you're using AC.
Ha. No.

While you take 30 seconds to Google why that's a common misconception, take a little more time to research the phrase "conventional wisdom" and its derivative association to the word "convenient".
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Rochester
Ha. No.

While you take 30 seconds to Google why that's a common misconception, take a little more time to research the phrase "conventional wisdom" and its derivative association to the word "convenient".
I'm aware why it's used, but it's dumb. It's an unnecessary use for the compressor. It already runs all spring and summer. I don't need it running while it's zero out all winter, too.

Heat works just fine for defogging and I no longer allow the compressor to run unless I'm using the damn AC.

If I wanted the compressor to fail twice as fast, then I'd have it running anytime I drive the car.

I started to notice how it runs for no (good) reason at all when my bearing started making noise. Now, had it not been running all these years, then I wouldn't have to replace the damn bearing, now would I? That's why I'm pissed.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 PM

I'm aware why it's used, but it's dumb.
Heat works just fine for defogging...
OK there. Good to know.

Now, had it not been running all these years, then I wouldn't have to replace the damn bearing, now would I?
The pulley is always spinning, regardless whether or not the clutch engages the compressor. You know that, right?

Last edited by Rochester; 10-06-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Rochester
OK there, Michelangelo. Good to know.
I don't have an AC belt on my current DD. It's magic, I know. Fairy Jesus himself must be curing my fog.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM

I don't have an AC belt on my current DD. It's magic, I know.
There's the missing piece of the puzzle. Got it now.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 AM

if heat is used for defrost, why when i push the defrost button, the compressor engages.........IJS
Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 AM

The defrost system uses the a/c compressor to dry the air used to defrost the windshield. It may not be that beneficial in humid climates; however, it is vital in dry climates. I've actually had the fogging get worse when I ran a defrost system in Colorado without a functioning a/c system.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 AM

The a/c compressor should not run when the temperature is below 35 degrees, regardless of what you set the dash controls to. If your compressor runs below the freezing temperature, you have a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by PadawanKnight
The defrost system uses the a/c compressor to dry the air used to defrost the windshield. It may not be that beneficial in humid climates; however, it is vital in dry climates. I've actually had the fogging get worse when I ran a defrost system in Colorado without a functioning a/c system.
Funny you should mention this. This car, over any of my previous Maximas, fogs up like crazy! I don't know why it is, but even my wife mentions it (she still drives a '91 Maxima.) You would think with our normally dry air, the A/C wouldn't make a difference.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by PadawanKnight
The defrost system uses the a/c compressor to dry the air used to defrost the windshield. It may not be that beneficial in humid climates; however, it is vital in dry climates.
That seems backwords. The more humidity, the more need for the AC to take the moisture out of the air.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
That seems backwords. The more humidity, the more need for the AC to take the moisture out of the air.
I believe it's due to a humidity imbalance. It seems like there is extra humidity in the system without the dryer. In a more humid climate, I think the air is similar in humidity levels.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
Funny you should mention this. This car, over any of my previous Maximas, fogs up like crazy! I don't know why it is, but even my wife mentions it (she still drives a '91 Maxima.) You would think with our normally dry air, the A/C wouldn't make a difference.
When was the last time you changed the internal cabin air filter, excessive fogging of the windshield is also cause by a very dirt cabin filter as the internal air is not moving correctly through the system.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
When was the last time you changed the internal cabin air filter, excessive fogging of the windshield is also cause by a very dirt cabin filter as the internal air is not moving correctly through the system.
That's a good idea right there. All this nonsense about hot air... no, cold air... no, hot air.

Wasn't this a thread about changing the pulley on the A/C? How's that going?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Automotive 101. The reason the A/C Compressor runs in defrost mode is twofold. 1) Dehumidify the interior air, especially during recirculation mode. 2) Prevents A/C compressor seizure/seal failure due to lack of lubrication. When sitting idle for long cold periods the lubricant in bearings/seals/etc drys out. The lubricant is in the coolant. No compressor actuation=no coolant flow=no lubrication.