5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission or Flywheel slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 AM

Transmission or Flywheel slipping?

Today driving my 03 6MT, if I gave the car a lot of throttle, the RPMs kept on jumping up but the car wouldn't do anywhere. It seems like something in the drivetrain is slipping. Finally, the car would catch up and start moving normally. I'm not sure if this is that my transmission is slipping or what. Not too sure, this is my first car and my first manual, so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. It happens from 2-6. In 6th, if I put my foot down, the RPMs would try to rocket up to 4000 RPM. Would like any help from anyone before I take it to a mechanic or the dreaded stealership...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 AM

same thing happened to my 01 and tranny went bad in about four months
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by book
same thing happened to my 01 and tranny went bad in about four months
Was it a manual?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 AM

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me lol
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxima.713
But I'm not on the clutch at all when this happens, I'm in gear, on the gas, and I just give it some more, and this happens. Please excuse my noobness on this, this is my first MT car and I more or less learned to drive stick on it.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by maxima.713
Originally Posted by djkevinnn
But I'm not on the clutch at all when this happens, I'm in gear, on the gas, and I just give it some more, and this happens. Please excuse my noobness on this, this is my first MT car and I more or less learned to drive stick on it.
Noobness excused... its your clutch.

What you described is a way to test for a slipping clutch. Your clutch failed the test.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Can someone give him options and expectations for repair at a shop? I'm thinking a full-day in labor, plus parts. $1000 on the high-end, maybe? But I really don't know... that's a very broad guess.

Pretty sure Kevin is looking for OEM repair, and not an upgrade with a stronger clutch and a lightweight flywheel.

Sometimes I wish my clutch would go, so I'd have an excuse, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-27-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM

In NY? Just a clutch switch? Easy peezie, NYCMaximas... Buy your own parts, offer up lunch and beer someone should show up.

OEM Clutch kit for a 350z/g35 is all you need, and you're good to go.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
In NY? Just a clutch switch? Easy peezie, NYCMaximas... Buy your own parts, offer up lunch and beer someone should show up.

OEM Clutch kit for a 350z/g35 is all you need, and you're good to go.
Easy for you, Action Jackson. The OP is a college student here in Rochester.

NYC is 8 hours away.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Can someone give him options and expectations for repair at a shop? I'm thinking a full-day in labor, plus parts. $1000 on the high-end, maybe? But I really don't know... that's a very broad guess.

Pretty sure Kevin is looking for OEM repair, and not an upgrade with a stronger clutch and a lightweight flywheel.

Sometimes I wish my clutch would go, so I'd have an excuse, LOL.
LOL John. I wouldn't mind upgrading, just worried that I do drive this car on long distance drives often and you know of all the snow in upstate NY, not sure how I will fend with a upgraded clutch. However, flywheel, if the price is right, I wouldn't mind upgrading for a lil extra acceleration.... just once it's not VTEC (kidding, used to want a Honda....haha)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM

NYC is 8 hours away.
Actually John, I'm home right now. LOL plus Greg and I wouldn't mind ripping into it with the FSM and doing it.

Plus, 8 hours is a little on the high side there. I usually do it in about 5 - 5 and a half. 330 miles, 70 mph, less than 5 hours. Plus calculate some stopping time and the 90+ moments haha
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Actually John, I'm home right now. LOL plus Greg and I wouldn't mind ripping into it with the FSM and doing it.
So you're in a comfortable locale, with friends and access to NYCMaxima gear-heads, AND you're willing to get your hands dirty with some upgraded, aftermarket parts.

Sorry, bud. I assumed way too much. Carry on and good luck.

Plus, 8 hours is a little on the high side there. I usually do it in about 5 - 5 and a half. 330 miles, 70 mph, less than 5 hours. Plus calculate some stopping time and the 90+ moments haha
Well... 8 hours with two kids in the back screaming, "Daddy, she touched me!", "Daddy, I gotta go!". And my favorite, "Daddy, can you turn off the radio, I can't hear my iPod."

Last edited by Rochester; 07-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM

So you're in a comfortable locale, with friends and access to NYCMaxima gear-heads, AND you're willing to get your hands dirty with some upgraded, aftermarket parts.

Well... 8 hours with two kids in the back screaming, "Daddy, she touched me!", "Daddy, I gotta go!". And my favorite, "Daddy, can you turn off the radio, I can't hear my iPod."
No problem on assuming. Thanks again for your help.

And LOL on the kids, I have a 7 year old brother and a 1 year old sister, so it's almost as if I have two kids And the iPod thing..... I don't get why all of these younger kids want iPods, my brother is dying for one and my thought is, what the heck, when I was that age there was something called hanging with friends, going to the park, etc... All these kids are getting hooked on technology. A professor at RIT told me that this generation is going to go deaf earlier than any other because of all the mp3 players and iPods.... Let me stop there before this thread goes off in a rant..
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Crap, I just realized, I need to drain the transmission oil.... I literally JUST changed it with MT-85....
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM

NYC is 8 hours away.
NYCmaximas isn't only local to NYC pops....

I'm sure there other members in Rochester who wouldn't mind lending a hand for a tranny drop + clutch install.....

And he's willing to do some work on his part, should be nooo problem... Have fun rotating and taking that tranny off... Certainly aint as easy as the 5mt that's for sure...

And put in fresh oil... It's only like what another $30???
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I'm sure there other members in Rochester who wouldn't mind lending a hand for a tranny drop + clutch install.....

And he's willing to do some work on his part, should be nooo problem... Have fun rotating and taking that tranny off... Certainly aint as easy as the 5mt that's for sure...

And put in fresh oil... It's only like what another $30???
I'm actually in NYC right now, so no biggie. The oil literally has like 2000 miles on it, if that much... Why waste good oil? Who knows, I'll see once i get parts.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM

What exactly do I need. Do I need both the cover and the disc, or just the disc?

Here are the links:

Cover
Disk

I want to buy the parts ASAP.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Try four and change

Just to call you out Kevin..I told you it was clutch -_-

Last edited by luvlexus101; 07-27-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Maxima enthusiasts in Rochester, NY?

Just me and the crickets, bud.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 AM

This thread brings back BAAAAD memories....like everyone said, yea your clutch is done..just dont end up like me and have it completely fail on the PA turnpike and have to leave your car there + pay an arm and a leg to get it back because they know youre not local SMH...

NYCMAXIMAS backyard mechanics FTW
Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 AM

What exactly do I need. Do I need both the cover and the disc, or just the disc?

Here are the links:

Cover
Disk

I want to buy the parts ASAP.
You're doing it wrong....

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate.
Clutch:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/30100-d...t-p-14582.html
Pressure Plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...s#ht_682wt_939

TOB, National Brand @ Advanced Auto Parts has it for like $20, if they don't have it in stock goto O'rielys for a price match.

Pilot bearing? It's up to you rather or not you want to put it on your car. Do your research, but some use it, some don't.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by essential1
... its your clutch.
What you described is a way to test for a slipping clutch. Your clutch failed the test.
This.

... However, flywheel, if the price is right, I wouldn't mind upgrading...
If you're not adamant about the lw flywheel, save yourself a few hundred bucks by having an experienced shop resurface (read: grind) it for less than a hundred bucks.

Crap, I just realized, I need to drain the transmission oil.... I literally JUST changed it with MT-85....
Drain it into a new pan and refill. I wanna know where Aaron is getting his Amsoil for 10 bucks a quart. I call BS.

... Have fun rotating and taking that tranny off... Certainly aint as easy as the 5mt that's for sure...
Definitely this. What's worse? Putting it back up. Of course, I did it alone on the floor () without a tranny jack.

Pilot bearing? Wtf does that thing do? It's not on my car
Some stores call it a bearing, some call it a bushing. It's actually either by definition. What do you mean you don't have one on your car? I hope you do.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Removing it was impossible for me, I was able to call a friend and watch him install it w/ no effort.

And nope, no such thing on my car.
How did he install it if you coudn't remove it and you don't have one on your car? again.

I've got a trick that makes removing them take one minute. Serious. You really don't want your input shaft having an extra 3 degrees of freedom.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

the pilot bushing/bearing should ride on your main shaft and without one I am unsure how your tranny works...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM

You boys need to get a room.

The OP's clutch is slipping, and here you are talking about crack ******, and whether you do or don't have some pilot bearing widget.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The OP's clutch is slipping, and here you are talking about crack ******, and whether you do or don't have some pilot bearing widget.
True and fixed.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Crack ****** are always necessary in any conversation, I dunno watchu talkin 'bout pops
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM

its ok i remember when i didnt know anything either lol. Now i do all the work on my car. I dont even remember the last time i took it to a shop lol

But like I said and everybody said its your clutch all you need is a clutch kit
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Gram Lights addict

your clutch is slipping. it doesnt have enough bite left in it to stick to the flywheel and get the car moving so when you give it gas, it revs freely like its in neutral. change it before it goes out on you and leaves you stranded.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM

I came across this post via the search, figured I want add to it. I seem to be having the same issues with my '03 Maxima (116k). I press on my gas after releasing the clutch and my car does not pick up right away. Not sure, if it is the transmission or clutch. Also, when I have engaged the cruise control while driving, and the rpm gauge is raised suddenly (i.e. slight ramp, puddle of water), my cruise control is disengaged. This has never happened before till recently. I regularly change my oil. My last manual transmission oil change (redline) was one year and half ago. Any ideas? Also, anyone know of a Nissan/Infiniti specialty shop in New Jersey (central or north)?