5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No spark in cylinder 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Here is a link to a TSB on your car.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...Gey9nESrJwgUiU

Check the harness where it says.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Never have liked that All Data format. Here is another view:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-076b.pdf
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have to admit that I am at a loss to figure this out. If you checked the continuity of the wire between the ECU and the coil and found it to be good, why would you want to run a replacement wire?

But more to the point, you need to figure out if the coil is getting the signal to fire. And for that matter, is the fuel injector getting its signal? Theoritically you need an oscilloscope for this, but maybe you can see the reading on a voltmeter jumping around.
Yes, I did check the continuity and it's fine. Maybe the wire is tripped somewhere and touches another wire. The coil is not getting signal.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by tosheto
Yes, I did check the continuity and it's fine. Maybe the wire is tripped somewhere and touches another wire. The coil is not getting signal.
Continuity doesn't mean anything, necessarily. That only means there's low enough resistance for a small amount of power to travel. Even measuring the actual resistance may not tell you jack.

Running new wire is the only way to know for sure.

I repaired a light socket and had continuity with near zero resistance, but almost no power crossed it. I no longer trust those tests haha.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Continuity doesn't mean anything, necessarily. That only means there's low enough resistance for a small amount of power to travel. Even measuring the actual resistance may not tell you jack.

Running new wire is the only way to know for sure.

I repaired a light socket and had continuity with near zero resistance, but almost no power crossed it. I no longer trust those tests haha.
Continuity can also be back feed through the harness. Check every wire in that bundle of harness the tsb talks about. Cause even small cracks or tears can cause a short or open to ground which can make seem like there is continuity, other than that find a known good ecm and test it.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKarebear
Continuity can also be back feed through the harness. Check every wire in that bundle of harness the tsb talks about. Cause even small cracks or tears can cause a short or open to ground which can make seem like there is continuity, other than that find a known good ecm and test it.
I would, but where am i going to find exactly same ECM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

I would, but where am i going to find exactly same ECM.
Just talked to my master tech here at my nissan shop and he says the only way you can fix that code is by replace the factory plugs and factory coils. He stressed to replace them all otherwise its just gonna jump from cylinder to cylinder. I'm sorry that its the coils of all things. But he is a 10 year vet here and I trust his word, you should too. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Bad *** Newb

Just talked to my master tech here at my nissan shop and he says the only way you can fix that code is by replace the factory plugs and factory coils. He stressed to replace them all otherwise its just gonna jump from cylinder to cylinder. I'm sorry that its the coils of all things. But he is a 10 year vet here and I trust his word, you should too. Good luck.

good point if it's shorting
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

There is factory coils there and the plugs are NGK. I do not believe there is a problem with either one of those.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 AM

There is factory coils there and the plugs are NGK. I do not believe there is a problem with either one of those.
Tested coils resistance dont work in this case. the coil is good but the transistor in the coil that receive the signal is bad. So your coils is good and bad at the same time.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 AM

Tested coils resistance dont work in this case. the coil is good but the transistor in the coil that receive the signal is bad. So your coils is good and bad at the same time.
How come the "bad" coil works just fine if swapped to another cylinder?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 AM

How come the "bad" coil works just fine if swapped to another cylinder?
Like I said it is but its not, it is the transistor is bad in it but replacing them will only fix the p1320 code. For the misfire code check your #4 injector with a know good one. I have a feeling that might be your problem. Maxima injectors have always been know to foul up. Sorry for the confusion early if i didn't make myself clear. And sorry for the late reply been very busy.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Like I said it is but its not, it is the transistor is bad in it but replacing them will only fix the p1320 code. For the misfire code check your #4 injector with a know good one. I have a feeling that might be your problem. Maxima injectors have always been know to foul up. Sorry for the confusion early if i didn't make myself clear. And sorry for the late reply been very busy.
No worries about the late response. Injector should be fine I think. I have checked all of the coils and I still have the P1320 code. I am looking into the ECU now. So we will see
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM

No worries about the late response. Injector should be fine I think. I have checked all of the coils and I still have the P1320 code. I am looking into the ECU now. So we will see
Just keep in mind that the only known way to fix a p1320 code is to replace all the coils cuz the transistor in one or more of them is bad. There is no way to test which one is bad till you get a new OEM coil and start swapping your coils with it.

You can't rely on OHM reading from an injector cuz a bad one will still test good sometimes. If the new ECU don't fix it your misfire and the coil is good than its your injector. If you need a injector you can get one off any 99-01 Maxima(you might be able to get one off a older one but most 4th and 5th gens should have the same injectors but you should verify first).
Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM

KillaKarebear - I think what he's saying is that if he removes the #4 coil (which you say probably has a bad transistor) and swaps that coil with the one from, say, #2, he still gets the same cylinder 4 misfire, which tells him (and me) that it doesn't have to do with the coils, unless multiple are bad, but, in that case, it should cause a P0300 random/multiple misfire and/or multiple cylinder misfire codes (in the scenario described P0302, P0304).

I think what we're looking at here is an injector issue on number 4, a harness issue, or a troubled ECM. I think the OP is on the right track.

I would pull the rail and make sure that all the injectors are firing like they should. Get a container big enough to catch any and all fuel, pull the rail off with the injectors still connected, disconnect all the coils, and crank the engine. If you can use separate containers for each of the injectors that would be best. Otherwise, this is a two man operation, as one of you will have to watch the injectors to make sure each one fires. That will tell you pretty clearly if #4's injector is really spraying fuel or not. Just a thought.

-Nathan
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
KillaKarebear - I think what he's saying is that if he removes the #4 coil (which you say probably has a bad transistor) and swaps that coil with the one from, say, #2, he still gets the same cylinder 4 misfire, which tells him (and me) that it doesn't have to do with the coils, unless multiple are bad, but, in that case, it should cause a P0300 random/multiple misfire and/or multiple cylinder misfire codes (in the scenario described P0302, P0304).

I think what we're looking at here is an injector issue on number 4, a harness issue, or a troubled ECM. I think the OP is on the right track.

I would pull the rail and make sure that all the injectors are firing like they should. Get a container big enough to catch any and all fuel, pull the rail off with the injectors still connected, disconnect all the coils, and crank the engine. If you can use separate containers for each of the injectors that would be best. Otherwise, this is a two man operation, as one of you will have to watch the injectors to make sure each one fires. That will tell you pretty clearly if #4's injector is really spraying fuel or not. Just a thought.

-Nathan
That is exactly what I am trying to say. I have another 5th gen that I use as daily driver (no codes, runs like new). I took all coils from the daily and swapped it into the project one. Guess what.. still P1320 and P0304. I have checked spark plugs, coils, signal wire many times. They all check out fine. The problem is most likely the ECU. That's what I am looking into right now. If that does not solve it I will look into the injector again.

Thank for the clarification Nathan!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 AM

No worries mate. Though, I do recommend the injector test first since it's easier. As a matter of fact, it may be that the injector is operating properly but is clogged. Might be easier to do, and will definitely be the cheaper fix if that's what it ends up being. Keep us posted.

-Nathan
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM

-Nathan
Swapping the coil is only for the misfire code. Like a I said before the only known way to fix the p1320 code is to replace all the coils unless its the ECU. But if he has changed them with the daily driver than i would think its the ECU too. But as far as the misfire goes I still think it's an injector. It's really the only component left. I also agree with Nathan on how to find the injector that is acting up(if any at all). I would use Gatorade bottles on each injector. I would also compare it to the other injectors and watch on the spray pattern on make sure they all act the same.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Swapping the coil is only for the misfire code. Like a I said before the only known way to fix the p1320 code is to replace all the coils unless its the ECU. But if he has changed them with the daily driver than i would think its the ECU too. But as far as the misfire goes I still think it's an injector. It's really the only component left. I also agree with Nathan on how to find the injector that is acting up(if any at all). I would use Gatorade bottles on each injector. I would also compare it to the other injectors and watch on the spray pattern on make sure they all act the same.
Definitely right. The spray pattern can tell you if there is any kind of clog or obstruction inside the injector that could be causing a problem.

-Nathan
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM

New ECU is on the way
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Issue fixed. It was the ECU. Thanks to everyone who helped!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Bad *** Newb

Issue fixed. It was the ECU. Thanks to everyone who helped!
Ugh, that sucks.

I'm assuming bad ECUs must be very rare aside from the 4th gen IACV thing. You never want to think it is until you have to haha
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Ugh, that sucks.

I'm assuming bad ECUs must be very rare aside from the 4th gen IACV thing. You never want to think it is until you have to haha
Ain't that the truth. I'm starting to think that my P0300 misfire is due to a bad ECU, since nothing else has worked, but I've been avoiding it like the plague.

-Nathan
Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 AM

Ugh, that sucks.

Not really. I fixed it for cheap just took a while. Put all parts I pulled out back on the car including ECU for 30 mins. Now I need to take the car in for detail.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Ain't that the truth. I'm starting to think that my P0300 misfire is due to a bad ECU, since nothing else has worked, but I've been avoiding it like the plague.

-Nathan
If your plugs are new, coils too, continuity checks fine on the wires and your injectors are good, then chances are your ECU is gone. Look on ebay. They got everything on there.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM

I'm glad that you got it fixed. I bet you were pulling your hair out. Got any left?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I'm glad that you got it fixed. I bet you were pulling your hair out. Got any left?
Thanks me too. I actually shaved mine some time ago. Now it's barely starting to grow again. So, I do have a little.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 AM

Havin the same problem replaced ECU and nothing going to swap engine harnesses now
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
Havin the same problem replaced ECU and nothing going to swap engine harnesses now
Double check everything after you swapped the ECU. I still had the same issue after the swap in turned out I forgot a bad coil in that cylinder after so much swapping. Check plug, coil, signal wire and injector before you get new harness.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks me too. I actually shaved mine some time ago. Now it's barely starting to grow again. So, I do have a little.
Glad to see you got it fixed. Bad ECU is a rare problem.

Smiles for everyone! lol
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM

Glad to see you got it fixed. Bad ECU is a rare problem.

Smiles for everyone! lol
Me too! Believe me. Just detailed the car yesterday and I am done. Yay!
Old 02-10-2023, 10:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That is my problem. ECU is good, wire checks out good, coil is good, plug is good and still no signal and therefore no spark on cylinder 4. I am getting really frustrated with this car
I have a 96 Nissan Maxima with the exact same problem no spark on cylinder 4 to the coil somebody's gotta help us
Old 02-11-2023, 10:11 AM

I had to replace all the coil connectors on my engine harness. heat and plastic aren't a good combo.

not the most ideal wiring method but it hasn't given me any issues so far and it has been at least a year...