5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Megan Or Cattman EXHAUST? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 PM

yea man that megan does sound sweet, wish they made em 3" though
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I'd like to see one bad review of Cattman please, sir. Been only a couple times there were minor manufacturer issues and were resolved- going to happen time to time.
Last few pages in here: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-cattman.html

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
If youre going all out then, yeah go 3". A tune will kinda rectify what you will lose down low.
404: Low end loss not found http://forums.maxima.org/6241702-post29.html
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 PM

My butt dyno disagrees but you cant argue numbers.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 AM

What about OBX? Most threads on this are old and the sound clips are gone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Cat-back...b8b1c6&vxp=mtr
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

HUH? Post One. Just one. Two if you're serious.

Cattman's exhaust is the most well rounded best built for htis car, period.
I beg to differ. See link below.

I'd like to see one bad review of Cattman please, sir. Been only a couple times there were minor manufacturer issues and were resolved- going to happen time to time.
What happened to us 4th geners was no "minor manufacturing issue". Shoot, even you 5th gen guys have had several issues with your catbacks, yet you accept it. Hard to believe considering the coin you guys have spent like myself. Please read the link below when you have a good 30 minutes to kill.

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Yep, start at post #413 Tuner and Chris and then tell me if you still want a Cattman product on your car.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I beg to differ. See link below.

What happened to us 4th geners was no "minor manufacturing issue". Shoot, even you 5th gen guys have had several issues with your catbacks, yet you accept it. Hard to believe considering the coin you guys have spent like myself. Please read the link below when you have a good 30 minutes to kill.

Yep, start at post #413 Tuner and Chris and then tell me if you still want a Cattman product on your car.
I love my Cattman headers and 3" exhaust...NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with fitment AT ALL 0!! So sorry for what happened to yall 4th gen folks...... YES, I still want Cattman products on MY car!! I'd pay for them over and over again and I'm sure any 5th gen person with Cattman products on their car would say the SAME thing!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Read several pages, specifically begining with the post you mentioned. I have the utmost respect for you and do NOT discount the issue you had. I will say that your issue with Cattman was on the 4th gen and we indeed are discussing Cattman on a 5th gen, so your input does not fit for the topic originally posted here. I'll even challenge to say for purposes in this thread and generation forum, seems more personally motivated than to be helpful.

Yes, have us 5th genners had issues, sure. I did as well but ...sufficient to say that it was completely my installation. I AM NOT making a judgement (just to be clear) that this was indeed an install issue for you, you've made a case I cannot dispute.

But, to answer your question, would I still have Cattman on my car. I do. I would again. I will continue to recommend Brian's products.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I love my Cattman headers and 3" exhaust...NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with fitment AT ALL 0!! So sorry for what happened to yall 4th gen folks...... YES, I still want Cattman products on MY car!! I'd pay for them over and over again and I'm sure any 5th gen person with Cattman products on their car would say the SAME thing!
5th gen guy guy lol.. i would also prefer the 3" cattman on the car, as far as headers go, i dont really care lol
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Not to be annoying or whatever but this question has been lingering in my head for quite some time too. I have all supporting mods, port n polish, ssim, nwp spacers, nwp bop, obx headers y pipe etc etc. the megan sounds great but idk about the drone, the price is definitely right. 3" exhaust is great but cattman is damn near impossible to get without a ridiculously long wait. My only real concern is the total low end loss of power with bigger piping. idk what do you guys think?
It could be argued, sure, but on the 3.5 litre engine (what I'm assuming you have based on mod notes), just get the 3"

Gains far outweigh minor theoretical losses down low on that engine.

3", do it.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Not to be annoying or whatever but this question has been lingering in my head for quite some time too. I have all supporting mods, port n polish, ssim, nwp spacers, nwp bop, obx headers y pipe etc etc. the megan sounds great but idk about the drone, the price is definitely right. 3" exhaust is great but cattman is damn near impossible to get without a ridiculously long wait. My only real concern is the total low end loss of power with bigger piping. idk what do you guys think?
That's redundant.

I didn't see any low end loss, or at least not on my dyno comp. Although, since it's automatic, can't really see any lower than this.

Top = testpipe + 3"
Middle = Fastcat + 3"
Bottom = testpipe + 2.5" Cattman B + Stock rear

All lines = torque

Name:  TPCMFC.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  129.4 KB

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That's redundant.
Not necessarily, NmexMAX. He could have popped the VIAS valve back in with his SSIM, which of course if funny and pointless.

Personally, I think it's more accurate to label the mod VIAS-Delete, because BOP seems kind of silly.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM

I was happy with my megan exhaust. Sounded great until I installed headers, then the drone was just too much.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not necessarily, NmexMAX. He could have popped the VIAS valve back in with his SSIM, which of course if funny and pointless.

Personally, I think it's more accurate to label the mod VIAS-Delete, because BOP seems kind of silly.
Um, he specifically stated, NWP BOP, which has no valve.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Um, he specifically stated, NWP BOP, which has no valve.
Poking at you for your choice of words, is all.

It's not redundant to list the BOP, it's simply unnecessary.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Rochester
Poking at you for your choice of words, is all.

It's not redundant to list the BOP, it's simply unnecessary.
An SSIM and NWP BOP listed as a mod together is an oxymoron.

I have a 6 cylinder engine with 6 cylinders.

Either way, this thread has just about run it's course.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM

An SSIM and NWP BOP listed as a mod together is an oxymoron.
That's not what "oxymoron" means, either.

However, this is a good opportunity for you to use the word "moron" in a sentence, if you're so inclined to continue with inaccuracies. Go right ahead, buddy... all in good fun.

Good morning, Manny.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM

That's redundant.

I didn't see any low end loss, or at least not on my dyno comp. Although, since it's automatic, can't really see any lower than this.

Top = testpipe + 3"
Middle = Fastcat + 3"
Bottom = testpipe + 2.5" Cattman B + Stock rear

All lines = torque

lol funny i mentioned this to him n a few more NYC locals but they still insist that there is this big loss somehow lol...
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
I was happy with my megan exhaust. Sounded great until I installed headers, then the drone was just too much.
auto or manual? the drone wouldnt have went away with the cattman neither, you best bet to getting rid of that drone is back to stock exhaust then you deal with the raspy sound where there would be droning lol... pick your poison lol
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
auto or manual? the drone wouldnt have went away with the cattman neither, you best bet to getting rid of that drone is back to stock exhaust then you deal with the raspy sound where there would be droning lol... pick your poison lol
Manual.

Pretty much what I did. I left the megan b-pipe and installed my oem axleback. No noise issues at all now. Nearly sounds stock minus a slightly deeper tone. I am considering getting a nice magnaflow dual tip can but will wait a while.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Manual.

Pretty much what I did. I left the megan b-pipe and installed my oem axleback. No noise issues at all now. Nearly sounds stock minus a slightly deeper tone. I am considering getting a nice magnaflow dual tip can but will wait a while.
.. maybe ill try this, i have a cattman B pipe now, uninstalled
Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Read several pages, specifically begining with the post you mentioned. I have the utmost respect for you and do NOT discount the issue you had. I will say that your issue with Cattman was on the 4th gen and we indeed are discussing Cattman on a 5th gen, so your input does not fit for the topic originally posted here. I'll even challenge to say for purposes in this thread and generation forum, seems more personally motivated than to be helpful.

Yes, have us 5th genners had issues, sure. I did as well but ...sufficient to say that it was completely my installation. I AM NOT making a judgement (just to be clear) that this was indeed an install issue for you, you've made a case I cannot dispute.

But, to answer your question, would I still have Cattman on my car. I do. I would again. I will continue to recommend Brian's products.
My post was not personally motivated. Too often, people ask questions like, "I want the exhaust with the most power" or "What exhaust will give me this sound?" etc etc. Hardly do I see people ask any of the questions like, "What exhaust gives the most hp, sounds good and fits great?" or "Anyone have any issues with brand xxx?" or "How does fitment of the Megan catback compare to Cattman's?" or "What's the warranty/customer service like on part X ?"

I wouldn't be surprised (would almost expect) at fitment issues to occur on 3g's, 4g's, 5g's, etc from ebay parts, not Cattman parts at the price point they're offered at. FTR, although some of the Cattman 5g issues have been installation related, some have been manufacturing/R&D related IMO.

Megan is cheaper than Cattman. How's fitment in comparison?

Just to reiterate, my post was/is not personally motivated. My post was merely to get the OP thinking and allow him to make an educated choice before he spends his hard earned cash.

That is all I will say on this matter. Good day fellas.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM

I love my cattman 3", the drone isn't bad and im a 3.0 5MT. Only problem is getting one, i got of the last 2 from his last batch, so its probably gonna take a while for another new batch to be made. My only problems is the exhaust hangers rubbing on the cross brace thing, and even with that annoying rattling it sounds really good. If you can find the cattman, go for it, just my .02
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Interesting read, Cattman 3'' FTMFW....fitment was good till you toss the Headers on, then it gets pushed back a little, got a couple vids in the Sig, got to hit the Dyno like Nmex...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Whaterever fits ur need and what u can afford.That is ur answer.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Yea this thread is stupid really... When simply typing in youtube... Cattman exhaust or Maxima Megan exhaust would easily compare both lol... As for money, only the op knows the deciding factor.... Dumb thread... But hey op if u decide Megan shoot me a pm
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
My post was not personally motivated. Too often, people ask questions like, "I want the exhaust with the most power" or "What exhaust will give me this sound?" etc etc. Hardly do I see people ask any of the questions like, "What exhaust gives the most hp, sounds good and fits great?" or "Anyone have any issues with brand xxx?" or "How does fitment of the Megan catback compare to Cattman's?" or "What's the warranty/customer service like on part X ?"

I wouldn't be surprised (would almost expect) at fitment issues to occur on 3g's, 4g's, 5g's, etc from ebay parts, not Cattman parts at the price point they're offered at. FTR, although some of the Cattman 5g issues have been installation related, some have been manufacturing/R&D related IMO.

Megan is cheaper than Cattman. How's fitment in comparison?

Just to reiterate, my post was/is not personally motivated. My post was merely to get the OP thinking and allow him to make an educated choice before he spends his hard earned cash.

That is all I will say on this matter. Good day fellas.
Great post. Strong points.

Personally When the time came for my exhaust I was going to go with SRS witha G35 sedan muffler welded on.

Cattman price is difficult to justify.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Well the price difference in Megan isn't so far off from cattman 2.5" cattback for a fair comparison... Both have great fitment, only reason behind price is the type of pipe Brian uses to make his vs megans.... N maybay a tad bit of name... But both are good systems I just find the comparison a Lil unfair because the 3" is better soley on power gains, nothing else needs to be said... Now if Megan made a 3" catback then o.k but they don't...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 PM

These discussions still exist? lmfao
Both are great systems and just a catback isn't gonna do much as stated before, they look the same and fitment is excellent.

IMO go megan, I loved my megan muffler on my old maxima (03 auto)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BrooklynRussian
These discussions still exist? lmfao
Both are great systems and just a catback isn't gonna do much as stated before, they look the same and fitment is excellent.

IMO go megan, I loved my megan muffler on my old maxima (03 auto)
What happen with your ride, did you sell it.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
What happen with your ride, did you sell it.
Yes sir, sold it a few weeks ago. Picked up a 2012 GTI
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 AM

check out BRM Exhaust,
Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrfxho
So im in the market to purchase a new exhaust.

I want a nice growling/ deep sound but nothing to loud and annoying. Plus i want something that wont annoy me in the car while driving "DRONE"

I know i will hear some cabin noise but a little wont bother me.

What will be the difference between a 2.5 and 3.5 exhaust as far as noise goes?

I would like for it to sound aggressive when I step on the gas but dont want to sound like a fart can.

I want some horsepower gain as well but not looking for something to crazy. Im just looking to invest in bolt-on right now.

Please dont post saying "SEARCH" !!!! Im trying to find out everyone's opinion and experience without having to search thousands of threads.

Thanks in advance,
luis
depends or your pockets and patience....u can get a megan catback within a week of ebay or pay 800 and wait months for a cattman...they both sound good

Originally Posted by Gizm0
You won't gain any HP with just a catback and no other exhaust mods.
you are a idiot
Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Megan's are more on the ricey side IMHO. Cattman's sound great and are a very close second place to GReddy SP/SE series. They actually sound the same except Cattman exibits a tiny bit of rasp whereas the GReddy doesnt.
u only get rasp if u take of the resonators and cat. i have a cattman 3' with a 3" test pipe....no rasp at all..and its still quiet
Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Get a 3" Cattman exhaust. I have it and actually think its pretty quiet for a 3" exhaust. I have a 3.5 6MT with cattman headers and y-pipe too and an intake and its tuned. And I have NEVER EVER seen anyone say anything bad about The Cattman exhaust....matter of fact the shop that installed my exahust on my Maxima said that it sounds better than ANY 350z catback exhaust they EVER installed. The shop that tuned my car asked me where they could buy some because they loved the way it sounded on the dyno.....I get compliments ALL the time on my Cattman exhaust. There is NO comparison at all the the 3" cattman exhaust PERIOD!! MEGAN dont come close (I have heard some and they sound like fart cans if you ask me...the 2.5") and GREDDY dont come close (LOUD).......BUT you will PAY for Cattman exhaust though......top quality = top $$$.
preach
Cattman 3" but both sounds great
yup
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 AM

he can get a megan within a couple of days if he PM me lol...

lmao @ not gaining any power with just catback lol... the dumb shyt ppl say
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM

lmao @ not gaining any power with just catback lol... the dumb shyt ppl say
that guy is a bafoon