5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 VQ35 Knock @ 2k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM

2002 VQ35 Knock @ 2k rpm

Yes, I know, you probably only opened this thread to flame me about using the search button, I've actually seen and used it many times.

In all my research, one thing I never found was a video or sound clip (that lead to a valid link, anyway). My car has been doing this since I purchased it last December. It occurs between 1500 and 3k rpm. Gear does not matter, does it in 1-6 at light throttle, around 10-20% I'd say.

It does not sound like octane ping, it is much more of a hard knocking sound, not a ping/tick from within the engine. I've always run 92/93, usually Shell V-Power. Is this the same issue every one else has had? If so, are there any definitive fixes? Thanks for all your help!

Video I took this morning (on a closed course that wasnt within sight of a public highway where others could have been endangered)

At the 5sec mark I gave it more throttle, then let off and the sound came back.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Based on the frequency of the knock I would be looking at the drivetrain, possibly a CV joint. We can probably rule out most of the transmission since it happens in all gears, motor mounts can make noises when bad but it's usually a single clunk when accelerating/decelerating.

Does the frequency of the knock change based on the speed of the car or the RPM of the engine? If it follows the speed of the car then I'm leaning toward something downstream of the transmission.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM

I hadn't really considered anything in the drive train, I guess maybe due to the main problems of pinging/knocking that many people have mentioned and I presumed I had the same issue.

As far as frequency, I havent heard it enough times in significantly different gears to give a valid answer. It sounds the same in 3 and 4, but does seem a bit slower in 1. In 6 @ 75mph, it doesnt sound fast enough to be in line with tire rotation. I may see if I can get under it and check out the CV's.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Claybob86
I hadn't really considered anything in the drive train, I guess maybe due to the main problems of pinging/knocking that many people have mentioned and I presumed I had the same issue.

As far as frequency, I havent heard it enough times in significantly different gears to give a valid answer. It sounds the same in 3 and 4, but does seem a bit slower in 1. In 6 @ 75mph, it doesnt sound fast enough to be in line with tire rotation. I may see if I can get under it and check out the CV's.
It doesn't sound like engine ping to me, and the frequency doesn't follow the engine RPM (2,000 in the video). The knock being slower in first gear tells me it's downstream of the engine and transmission, if it was upstream the frequency would be higher. Is the noise coming from one side of the car? I'd also be looking at the tires if you haven't already, maybe swapping them front to back.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Can't tell if its coming from a specific side. I also forgot to note that I can feel it in my foot. Not through the pedal, but feel the vibration in the floorboard.

If it is drivetrain related, I just wonder why it does it between those rpms. Not at 4k with same throttle.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM

Sounds like rod knock and thats not good
Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 AM

Can't tell if its coming from a specific side. I also forgot to note that I can feel it in my foot. Not through the pedal, but feel the vibration in the floorboard.

If it is drivetrain related, I just wonder why it does it between those rpms. Not at 4k with same throttle.
I'm leaning more towards a drive axle, probably the drivers side. Try driving with the windows down, it might help determine which side of the car is affected.

Can we assume the frequency follows the speed of the car?

Last edited by slo-ryde; 04-10-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by TurboA32
Sounds like rod knock and thats not good
It's not rod knock. If it was it would get louder as the RPMs get higher. Check your lug nuts. They might be loose.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by slo-ryde
I'm leaning more towards a drive axle, probably the drivers side. Try driving with the windows down, it might help determine which side of the car is affected.
Windows down hasnt help, I may try to find a place with retaining wall or buildings close to the street and drive by that. Although it would reflect the sound regardless, it would probably be louder when that side is against the wall/building...

Can we assume the frequency follows the speed of the car?
I'd be okay with saying that, because in first gear it's literally "clunk... clunk... clunk...," but at 30 it is as you see in the video. 75mph isnt THAT much faster than 40, but I also havent driven at 75 in a few weeks, so my memory could be serving me wrong.

Last edited by Claybob86; 04-10-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Windows down hasnt help, I may try to find a place with retaining wall or buildings close to the street and drive by that. Although it would reflect the sound regardless, it would probably be louder when that side is against the wall/building...

I'd be okay with saying that, because it first its literally "clunk... clunk... clunk...," but at 30 it is as you see in the video. 75mph isnt THAT much faster than 40, but I also havent driven at 75 in a few weeks, so my memory could be serving me wrong.
Yeah, that slow clunk you mention sure does sound like a CV joint to me. As the other member suggested, make sure the lug nuts are tightened to specs (around 90 foot pounds), get an eyeball on the tires and look for possible tread separation. Swap the tires front to back (one at a time) to get them out of the equation. Maybe have someone stand outside as you drive by as a way of narrowing it down to one side of the car.

Do you notice any vibration in the steering wheel?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same exact thing in a previous Sentra 5 speed I had. I took it to my mechanic, he said he didn't know what it was BUT,it was definitely something in the tranny. I replaced the tranny with a used one and that sound was gone.

I had the issue for some time, like 3 months. Initially, it sounded like yours does now, but as time went on it got worse. The thump would become so loud and aggressive that you'd think that something was going to break through the firewall.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I had the same exact thing in a previous Sentra 5 speed I had. I took it to my mechanic, he said he didn't know what it was BUT,it was definitely something in the tranny. I replaced the tranny with a used one and that sound was gone.

I had the issue for some time, like 3 months. Initially, it sounded like yours does now, but as time went on it got worse. The thump would become so loud and aggressive that you'd think that something was going to break through the firewall.
That's good to know. Maybe the bearing on the output shaft was worn out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Do you notice any vibration in the steering wheel?
Nope, no steering wheel vibration.

I'll get under it this weekend and check things out. Really hoping it isnt a tranny...
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Is there anyway you can get the front on jack stands and put it in gear to see if you can get a better idea of where the sound is coming from.

The best plan would be to get it on a lift but i know most people don't have access to one.

The dull knock sounds more like drive drain and also like a bad tire but hard to hear.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Update while sitting in Atlanta traffic:

Now that I think about it, it has gotten progressively worse/easier to make it happen over the past month or so. This leads me to believe it could be something like an axle. I'll get under it and give an update this weekend.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM

The sound is as if the axle was installed at a tilted angle, right? I thought that too but replaced the tranny anyway. The sound did go away and it could be because when they re-installed the same axles they were installed properly the 2nd time. I think I tried to figure out which side it was on to see whether it was the left or right axle but could never figure it out. The thumping would occur even while going straight ahead and I think that's why the mechanic concluded it was something inside the tranny.

Of course I didn't see all of this at the time, so you may benefit from my hindsight.

You may want to have someone re-install your axles and hope the sounds goes away......who knows
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM

I've been pondering this problem today, even went out and put eyeballs on the front drive-train, motor mounts, and a few other things.

My original thought remains, that this noise is coming from something in the final drive from the trans-axle out through the axles since the frequency follows the speed of the car.

Both axles exit the trans-axle in very close proximity to the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment. I would try to grab the axles where they connect to the trans-axle output shaft and see if there's any noticeable play. Another option might be to get the front wheels off the ground and see if you can reproduce the noise, then watch the axles for any unusual vibrations. My guess is reproducing the noise with the front wheels off the ground is going to be tough since there's no load on any of the components.

The only other thing that hasn't been touched on is the limited slip differential that the manual transmission cars have. Has the oil in the transmission been checked? Most limited slip differentials require special additives (friction modifiers) but I don't know if this applies to the differential in the Maxima. I'm big on trying all the easy stuff first, replacing the oil in the transmission/differential/trans-axle is easy and cheap and it gives you a chance to see if there's any metal in the oil that would point to some type of internal failure. Check the lug nuts for both front wheels, move the tires to the back, look for something that might be wrapped around an axle and literally thumping on something underneath.

Last edited by slo-ryde; 04-11-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM

I listened to it some more this evening. Have decided that it is definitely on the passenger side, but still sounds like its very close to the firewall. And it seems to be getting worse by the day, which makes me think the cv is very much a possibility.

Trans fluid has not been checked, I do plan on changing the fluid when I go to my parents house in KY in May. I'll def be doing a lot of checking. I've got to get this figured out, it's drivin me nuts!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, does it knock in reverse as well?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
Just out of curiosity, does it knock in reverse as well?
Yes, I noticed this as well last night.

This morning, it would also knock as I took off from a stop.

Not sure if I ever mentioned, but its a 6spd HLSD.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM

I did some quick math, at 27mph, a 225/55/17 tire (assuming this is what you have on your car) does 5.4 revolutions per second. The frequency sounds about right with the video, I'm counting about 5 or 6 clunks per second...

It's definitely downstream of the layshaft in your transmission. It may still be a problem with the transmission (output shaft bearings?) or CV joints... Dumb question, have you checked your wheel lug nuts? I had a clunk like this on my car too a while back, it was driving me nuts... turned out the lug nuts on my front passenger wheel were loose...
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Yep, lug nuts are tight. It sounds like it's coming from right behind the firewall. Really hoping it's a CV and not the trans!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM

Do you have Cattman Gen 3 Headers?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 AM

I listened to it some more this evening. Have decided that it is definitely on the passenger side, but still sounds like its very close to the firewall. And it seems to be getting worse by the day, which makes me think the cv is very much a possibility.

Trans fluid has not been checked, I do plan on changing the fluid when I go to my parents house in KY in May. I'll def be doing a lot of checking. I've got to get this figured out, it's drivin me nuts!
Check that Passenger side motor mount just in case it's failed and just bouncing around...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Do you have Cattman Gen 3 Headers?
Nope. 100% stock.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Yep, lug nuts are tight. It sounds like it's coming from right behind the firewall. Really hoping it's a CV and not the trans!
Does the sound change when in turning? If it does, then it's the CV or CV related. If not, however.....................
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM

I did some quick math, at 27mph, a 225/55/17 tire (assuming this is what you have on your car) does 5.4 revolutions per second. The frequency sounds about right with the video, I'm counting about 5 or 6 clunks per second...
That was my conclusion too, maybe even something simple like tread separation.

It's definitely downstream of the layshaft in your transmission. It may still be a problem with the transmission (output shaft bearings?) or CV joints...
+1 on that.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM

That was my conclusion too, maybe even something simple like tread separation.
I dont think it is tire separation. It seems like if it was separated bad enough to be causing a clunking noise then it would also cause a vibration in the steering wheel. But hey, I'm to the point where I'm willing to check anything
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM

I dont think it is tire separation. It seems like if it was separated bad enough to be causing a clunking noise then it would also cause a vibration in the steering wheel. But hey, I'm to the point where I'm willing to check anything
I always "hope for the best" but leave wiggle room "for the worst".

Last edited by slo-ryde; 04-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Was finally able to lift the car up tonight and take a look at it. Turns out there is some outward play in the passenger side axle. Guess when it would knock back and forth it was pretty much slamming back into the transmission which is why I could never really tell which side it was. Regardless, I hosed down the carrier bearing with WD40 and put a shot on the strut bolts, axle nut, and tie rod nut, and will be trying to round up an axle tonight here in town, although they seem pretty hard to come by, or ordering it offline somewhere.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Hope the axle fixes it!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Hope the axle fixes it!
This post resulted in a loss of 10 experience points!? I'm not sure how the experience points feature on this site works, don't even know who gives or takes them away. Thinking of giving all of my points away to a needy member!

Anyone know how the system works?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Hope the axle fixes it!
You and me both!

For the record, before I posted this I had 387 points
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Replaced the passenger CV axle due to about 1/4" of outward play that made a clunking noise that sounded exactly like the sound I was hearing. But, well, that didnt work.I've checked the driver's side axle, and it seems to be tight and the boots in good shape.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Replaced the passenger CV axle due to about 1/4" of outward play that made a clunking noise that sounded exactly like the sound I was hearing. But, well, that didnt work.I've checked the driver's side axle, and it seems to be tight and the boots in good shape.
That sir, is a drag. What does plan B look like?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM

That sir, is a drag. What does plan B look like?
Not entirely sure, probably one of two...

Plan B.1 - May take it to a local mechanic that I trust to further diagnose/and repair if the price is less than what I want to fool with, because living in an apartment and being 6 hours away from your home garage isn't the best for repairs.

Plan B.2 - Wait until I get a notice about the airbag recall (being an 02, I assume it will), and have the dealership diagnose it, since one of the mechanics there may have seen the issue before. But since no one on here has had this, they may not.

I'm thinking my local guy first, just since his diagnosis will most likely be free, and his labor rates are much less than the dealer.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM

Not entirely sure, probably one of two...

Plan B.1 - May take it to a local mechanic that I trust to further diagnose/and repair if the price is less than what I want to fool with, because living in an apartment and being 6 hours away from your home garage isn't the best for repairs.

Plan B.2 - Wait until I get a notice about the airbag recall (being an 02, I assume it will), and have the dealership diagnose it, since one of the mechanics there may have seen the issue before. But since no one on here has had this, they may not.

I'm thinking my local guy first, just since his diagnosis will most likely be free, and his labor rates are much less than the dealer.
I like the second plan, having a good working relationship with the dealership can be invaluable. My guess is the hour that they charge to diagnose the problem would be money well spent.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM

have you checkout out the bearing in the axle mount (the axle mount that bolts up to the engine)? If that bearing was going bad and clunking (not sure how/why a bearing would clunk but...) it would be passenger side, right near the firewall, and if its 1 clunk per rotation it would be the right frequency.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM

I like the second plan, having a good working relationship with the dealership can be invaluable. My guess is the hour that they charge to diagnose the problem would be money well spent.
That's very true. Today, though, I began to hear a light groaning/grinding sound in very slight right hand turns, it sounds as though it is coming from the driver's side now. I think I will take it to the local mechanic I mentioned and see what they say. If they believe it is anything other than an axle I will definitely go to the dealership!

Originally Posted by Gemner
have you checkout out the bearing in the axle mount (the axle mount that bolts up to the engine)? If that bearing was going bad and clunking (not sure how/why a bearing would clunk but...) it would be passenger side, right near the firewall, and if its 1 clunk per rotation it would be the right frequency.
Isn't this bearing on the axle? I replaced the passenger side axle, so if that bearing is on the axle then it would be new.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Your observations above shows that the sound changes according to which gear you are in. In other words, it's the tranny.

Why go to the dealership? Did they do something and guarrantee their work? If not, any work they do will cost you an arm, leg and your 1st born child.

Goto car-part.com, find a used tranny from a reliable source, the have an independent shop install it. Done.

Quick Reply: 2002 VQ35 Knock @ 2k rpm