5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen: What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
^^ They could've used bead sealer, and it could still leak. Like it did on mine. All it takes is a big enough idiot to do your tires, who doesn't know how to work with alloy wheels.

Besides that, here is pics of last night after installing LED side markers:
The amber looked great in my lightly smoked markers, but the red during the day just looked pink b/c the sun is so bright. We need like a deep red LED.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Took the Y-pipe off for uperp oil pan removal.
Just thought I'd share.

It was going to get gutted it but looks good to me.
A cleaning should be good Don't know why it throws cat codes. It even passes smog on the dyno!! wtf nissan
Same with the main cat, perfect, just going to soak it.

Also, I'm not going to gut it....
But how do people even get to it?
The 5.0 gens aren't bad like the 5.5s. You replace the ypipe and gut the front (only on 2001 and cali iirc). But if you don't care about performance, then it doesn't matter since they don't fail.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM

My heater blower motor fan didn't turn on yesterday, so i pulled the fan control amplifier (auto climate control) and did some troubleshooting.

Turns out a 46 cent thermistor opened up so I soldered a piece of wire in until I can get the part. Sure beats buying a whole new assembly.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Today; I received my Koyo Rad/picked up Nissan Coolant at dealer for $18.50/Got both hoses...Tomorrow i replace my Radiator at the crack of dawn
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Stillen rear strut bar install, what a pain in the ***. very worth it and im never removing it again lol
Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 AM

^^ Good luck with radiator bro, should be a breeze besides draining the coolant being a bit of a pain...

^^ I have a few questions bout that stillen RSTB for you. Why was the install hard just out of curiosity?

Do you really think its worth it, especially at the Stillen price?

Whats the most noticeable improvement you saw with the rstb added?

I still have to get a RSB at some point but RSTB was also a consideration since Im gonna have everything else done..
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Stillen rear strut bar install, what a pain in the ***. very worth it and im never removing it again lol
I assume you indeed mean "strut", not "sway".

I have Stillen strut bar up front, and the Stillen (anti)sway bar in the rear. From my experience, the sway bar made a huge difference - it really leveled the car; the front strut bar made much less difference, if any.

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 11-26-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 AM

^^ Thats why I was asking. I know RSB does great things for our cars to finish out the suspension once it's done.

But not sure about RSTB so was wondering if there is any reason for doing it, especially considering the cost??
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Radiator Replacement went well Stillwell. Shes running healthy! Coolant that came out was nastyyyy.
Also, i want to ask others here...Is it just me or can coolant and a better? cooling radiator attribute to higher mpg. Iv driven about 150 miles since and my calculated mpg is higher than recent. next tank of gas will tell me for sure.

Yesterday, i also got my windows tinted; all around and my sunroof Love the new look!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 PM

^^ Very nice bro. I would say it can have a positive on mpg for sure. Engine is running more efficient at the correct temps, makes sense.

I went ahead and threw on a pair of new shoes on maxi today. Right as the snow n slush hit us.

Went with Goodyear F1 asymmetric this time and so far I'm really liking them very much, way better than the continental extreme dws' that I had...
Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM

^^ Very nice bro. I would say it can have a positive on mpg for sure. Engine is running more efficient at the correct temps, makes sense.

I went ahead and threw on a pair of new shoes on maxi today. Right as the snow n slush hit us.

Went with Goodyear F1 asymmetric this time and so far I'm really liking them very much, way better than the continental extreme dws' that I had...
:

my barber tryna show off his legend, raised the prices on me wtf i told him we'll race and if i win i get the old price he agreed.....FTW!!!

I don't know what he got,but hey i gotta get a haircut anyway rite, and $5 is $5 (used to be a gal of 93oct around here!)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM

^as in you beat the legend?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well it wasn't today, been a month and a half in the making due to throwing cylinder 3 rod and disintegrating the rod bearing, but got my engine replacement in, new oe clutch and slave, gutted pre cats, post cat delete with magnaflow resonator free sts mood with es bushings, clutch line dampener delete, blackout headlights, ambered out fogs, full led interior and exterior lights, rain guards on windows, big four ground kit plus a few extras, timing advanced to 17°... And a partridge in a pear tree!!! Just drove it home from my shop, vq35 ftw!!! I thought it was bada$$ before!!!

Last edited by Mr.Snuggles; 11-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM

that legend looks pretty
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 PM

^Yeah George. Iv got mad love for the legends...iv had 2 of them and an RL as well. the Successor. Amazing cars with a fan base.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
^Yeah George. Iv got mad love for the legends...iv had 2 of them and an RL as well. the Successor. Amazing cars with a fan base.
I only like the first gen RL, second gen looks has that chubby circular design I hate (think Nissan Maxima gen 6)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
^as in you beat the legend?
Precisely!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Precisely!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM

Hmm. Believable but not always the case (depending on the Legend). My legend that i miss deeply was a 3.5 Hybrid. Type 2 Heads/Manifold/Chipped ecu/RL Block for the 3.5 displacement. To say the least thats a beastly setup; I never had the super amazing 6 speed tho :/ Besides all that, the Legend was a car way ahead of the curve in its day. Still has a special place in my book for me. They have their plaged issues (namely bhg) but are nice cars.

Precisely!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

Installed a under hood led kit with 2 12'' white led strips....they're heat resistant and waterproof. Used a add a circuit and got power from the horn near battery

it is so bright at night it's awesome, but i feel like putting more strips lol

add a circuit -
Name:  20141124_163910_zps1d2f7efd.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  98.4 KB

leds -
Name:  20141124_161851_zps72c98843.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 11-27-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by JonBlz
Installed a under hood led kit with 2 12'' white led strips....they're heat resistant and waterproof. Used a add a circuit and got power from the horn near battery

it is so bright at night it's awesome, but i feel like putting more strips lol

add a circuit -

leds -
This is pretty bad *** dude. I was just talking about trunk led and glove box led last night...

But an under hood LED may be the most useful and functional led mod yet. I cant think of how often I want to do something under the hood when its dark and im out somewhere without my projector..
Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM

@JonBlz

What Da F00k

Good job
Old 11-28-2014, 01:30 PM

story time

Last night, or this morning I guess, coming home from black Friday shopping with my sister in the car, it was around 2:45am and pouring down rain on interstate 5. I saw behind me about a half mile back that a BMW had passed two cars in kind of aggressive manner and came up behind me pretty quick so I sped up to about 80 and didn't let the BMW pass.
Now we were both going 80 and I didn't go faster or slower. He was on the outside left and I was I in the center. I was the one that had to pass cars. But I'd pass on the right rather than slowing to get behind the bmw. So then that went on and I passed a few more cars. Now we are both on the outside lanes, he was left I was right, center open. We are gaining on two cars about a mile ahead going the same speed as well, and their center lane is open. So I thought to myself, "well, he I definitely going to try to take that lane" so I sped up maybe 10 feet in front of the bimmer to make it look like I was gonna take it but I didnt. I was waiting for him. Then lo and behold, he cuts in to the center flying by and then cuts out back to the left. And right as that happened I knew what was going to happen. Water and fast lateral movement don't mix. He immediately loses control and starts fishtailing, almost hits the retaining wall to the left, and almost an accord that was in front of me, then back left then finally right and off the road. I pointed and laughed
Now, I'm a 17 year old. Not all teens are lunatic drivers, I do drive faster than I should a lot of the time though I know when enough is enough. The person who went of the road was probably and Asian in college. I'm also asian, though I've lived in Oregon for quite a while and I also know that hydroplaning isn't a thing to take lightly, I had hydroplaned several times that night. Moral of the story, don't mess with a max 😃😃
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

^^^your a idiot for going that fast in the rain period your as guilty as the other guy you lucky that **** did not happen to you smdh. young kids never learn
Old 11-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by AT978
Last night, or this morning I guess, coming home from black Friday shopping with my sister in the car, it was around 2:45am and pouring down rain on interstate 5. I saw behind me about a half mile back that a BMW had passed two cars in kind of aggressive manner and came up behind me pretty quick so I sped up to about 80 and didn't let the BMW pass.
Now we were both going 80 and I didn't go faster or slower. He was on the outside left and I was I in the center. I was the one that had to pass cars. But I'd pass on the right rather than slowing to get behind the bmw. So then that went on and I passed a few more cars. Now we are both on the outside lanes, he was left I was right, center open. We are gaining on two cars about a mile ahead going the same speed as well, and their center lane is open. So I thought to myself, "well, he I definitely going to try to take that lane" so I sped up maybe 10 feet in front of the bimmer to make it look like I was gonna take it but I didnt. I was waiting for him. Then lo and behold, he cuts in to the center flying by and then cuts out back to the left. And right as that happened I knew what was going to happen. Water and fast lateral movement don't mix. He immediately loses control and starts fishtailing, almost hits the retaining wall to the left, and almost an accord that was in front of me, then back left then finally right and off the road. I pointed and laughed
Now, I'm a 17 year old. Not all teens are lunatic drivers, I do drive faster than I should a lot of the time though I know when enough is enough. The person who went of the road was probably and Asian in college. I'm also asian, though I've lived in Oregon for quite a while and I also know that hydroplaning isn't a thing to take lightly, I had hydroplaned several times that night. Moral of the story, don't mess with a max ����
Don't bother trying to race and beat cars... These Maxima aren't the best for that for reasons like FWD and that's probably what helped prevent you from having your guts splattered all over the road.

Too bad you didn't have a dashcam!

^^^your a idiot for going that fast in the rain period your as guilty as the other guy you lucky that **** did not happen to you smdh. young kids never learn
Come on! Don't use the age card

Last edited by george__; 11-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 PM

x1000
Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
x1000
Guy was only going ~130 km/h

Not that fast
Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Speaking from another younger persons standpoint.. I too drive fast at times and do borderline stupid things with friends;however, I NEVER have and NEVER will drive stupidly if my mistakes would cause injury or harm to another person, their vehicle, or their property. Sure, i occasionally will pull the ebrake in an icy parking lot..or get myself into the hundreds. But you can bet your a__ that nobody and nothing is around. The only person who should face the consequences for my stupid actions is me. In the situation above, i wouldnt ever drive that fast in downpour, and I wouldnt have been messing with the bimmer with all those other cars in the mix.

My .02.. Take it with a grain of salt :3
Old 11-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by AT978
I also know that hydroplaning isn't a thing to take lightly, I had hydroplaned several times that night. Moral of the story, don't mess with a max 😃😃
Correction for you, moral of the story is don't mess with hydroplaning NOT with your Maxima!

Maxima, Rain, and 80mph just don't mix well regardless how good your tires are, please be safe!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 PM

My puppy peed all over the passenger seat today
Old 11-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by george__
My puppy peed all over the passenger seat today

And I dont care if you already cleaned it up, make the puppy do it again and take pics!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 PM

And I dont care if you already cleaned it up, make the puppy do it again and take pics!
I posted some pictures after her first bath in the off topic section :P.

She's initially peed sitting, then I shouted at her and she peed even more and all the way home curled up into a ball and just sat in the ****. So you can imagine, due to size of the dog, the amount of pee that was all over her head, tummy, paws etc.

Worst thing though is the car still reeks of **** because the pee got into that angle spot between the bottom and top part of the seat. Luckily car has fake leather seats and not cloth

Last edited by george__; 11-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by george__

I posted some pictures after her first bath in the off topic section :P.

She's initially peed sitting, then I shouted at her and she peed even more and all the way home curled up into a ball and just sat in the ****. So you can imagine, due to size of the dog, the amount of pee that was all over her head, tummy, paws etc.

Worst thing though is the car still reeks of **** because the pee got into that angle spot between the bottom and top part of the seat. Luckily car has fake leather seats and not cloth
Lol man...you cant yell at the dog when its already peeing...get some of that urine gone spray for pets, it really works.

Fake leather seats? I thought the max had real leather

My dog used to fit in front seat when he was few months old and around 20lbs. Now hes 70lbs and 3.5yrs and sits in front seat like a human. I almost was able to put seatbelt on him once but he refused. Lol
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 AM

Now hes 70lbs and 3.5yrs and sits in front seat like a human. I almost was able to put seatbelt on him once but he refused. Lol
Lmao. D.Stillwell if it wasn't wearing a seatbelt in Cali your dog would proly get a ticket, but hey hov lane becomes an option

Yo' i heard spray can WD-40 is illegal in California this can't be true?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Lmao. D.Stillwell if it wasn't wearing a seatbelt in Cali your dog would proly get a ticket, but hey hov lane becomes an option

Yo' i heard spray can WD-40 is illegal in California this can't be true?
Lmao you just heard about this? California is nuts about those things, you cant buy any "harmful" chemical there. Haha

Wd-40 is illegal for commercial use there, but apparently still legal for household use? Its weird...but apparently if you get caught with wd-40 in Cali its like drug dealer selling dope you get fined and jailed possibly...but weed is legal. Go figure hahaha
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 AM

I was cleaning them 20s ......ok they're 16" but i keep em clean tho'.

Sprayed wd on them and noticed the can had the s!ht printed on it....smh

Also tried on some new dressing on the black trim around all the windows and grill..very satisfied..we'll see how long they stay glossy since they'd get dull again pretty fast with the others I've used.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Don't get caught smuggling full strength WD40 across state lines.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Don't get caught smuggling full strength WD40 across state lines.
My work voted to ban the use of WD40 due to all the accidents we had. Scary stuff
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 AM

OMG i LOVE YOUR SPELLING.....MUST BEE SPELLING BE CHAMP? So thats what $880 is all about huh

Quick Reply: 5th Gen: What did you do to your 5th Gen today?