5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

turbo charging 2001 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

turbo charging 2001 maxima

hey, i am new to this forum. i was wondering how many of you have turbo charged your 5th gen maxima, i am debating on turbo charging my 2001 maxima with low compression pistons, and need a tips on what i should get for it, i do not know much about cars, but i was told a properly installed turbo would be better for my car then a super charger. i am looking to spend about $5000 tops to do these modifications on my car, is that a reasonable price range? i am buying a cummins in the spring so i would like to turn my maxima into a drag car.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Depends on what you want to do and how far you wanna go money wise. Personally I am a big fan of a supercharged maxima but turbo is cool and probably more capable of putting down even bigger numbers. Have a search on this forum. There is PLENTY of turbo/supercharged maximas. Or Google it.

I just started following this thread. Its wicked cool... check it out...
http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...rbo-build.html
Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 AM

I've been thinking about turbo/supercharger lately. I've pretty much built up my VQ30 all the way at this point, only thing I don't have is the headers which are a pain to fit on the VQ30 anyway for only another ~20hp or so. I'm at 211whp currently, built up N/A. So instead of headers, I'm just thinking spend the $3000 and get a violent car instead of continuing w/ headers and keep spending just hundreds and hundreds on small gains.

There's a company called JGY here in VA that builds Nissan engines, not only do they sell already built engines, from VQ30DET to SR engines, but they can also build up any other Nissan engine for you. Prices range from $2000-3000. Supercharger build on the VQ is a bit more expensive (closer to $3000) but so far I'm leaning towards supercharger. $3000 for roughly ~350whp which also comes with new cams, pistons, rods, MAF, bored and stroked, etc.

It seems like the supercharger is the better build, and the guy at the shop told me the supercharger is usually more reliable than turbo. Supercharger also makes much better low-mid range power.
I'd say do a good bit of searching to see what you really want, turbo and supercharger have their differences. If I was building a drag car like you, I'd be going turbo. Otherwise, for best overall performance I would go supercharger since the power is distributed way better throughout the whole power band not like turbo.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM

how long can these superchargers last
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM

The VQ30 engine takes boost very well. If the engine is in good shape, there's not a lot of reason to have it built if you are supercharging.

If you are going with a big *** turbo or something, sure, but even a small turbo will be fine on stock internals as long as the engine is in good condition. Don't spend money you don't have to

Also, low compression pistons with a supercharger or small turbo will leave you very unsatisfied, you will lose all the low end torque and the car will feel sluggish for 90% of the driving you do, assuming the car will still be a daily driver.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
SLOW

honestly, you should not turbo your car. by your own admission you don't know much about cars. avoid yourself a nightmare and drop this idea until you either have way more money or way more knowledge, preferably the latter ($5000 is a fine budget to turbo a maxima for someone who knows what they are doing, but not for someone who doesn't).

D.Stillwell this advice goes for you as well. I'm advising you not to turbo or supercharge your maxima.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The VQ30 engine takes boost very well. If the engine is in good shape, there's not a lot of reason to have it built if you are supercharging.

If you are going with a big *** turbo or something, sure, but even a small turbo will be fine on stock internals as long as the engine is in good condition. Don't spend money you don't have to

Also, low compression pistons with a supercharger or small turbo will leave you very unsatisfied, you will lose all the low end torque and the car will feel sluggish for 90% of the driving you do, assuming the car will still be a daily driver.
True, you can definitely run stock internals like that. I'd rather not, especially if I decide to go the twin-turbo route. But even if I do the supercharger, I'd still rather have at least new cams. I don't care how good the VQ30 is and how strong it is, I wouldn't want to run stock internals with forced induction. Definitely would make the engine stronger, and not because you necessarily need it, just because it's way more reliable that way.
If you don't have the extra money though, then yeah you can just buy the Stillen Supercharger kit and install it, stock internals, done deal for under $2k. The deal I'm talking about is only a few hundred bucks more ($2000 total) to get the supercharger AND new internals PLUS have it all done for you by a professional shop.

BTW, could you tell me more about the low-compression pistons + supercharger and how it robs all your low-end power? That is definitely something I'm very interested to know about. Because I've driven a 350z built by this shop, supercharged VQ35 in it and it was a beast, low-end was awesome, and I know that engine had all new internals. Of course, VQ35 vs. VQ30 is different, but it's a known fact a properly built turbo/supercharged VQ30 is going to be better and more reliable than a boosted vq35.

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
honestly, you should not turbo your car. by your own admission you don't know much about cars. avoid yourself a nightmare and drop this idea until you either have way more money or way more knowledge, preferably the latter ($5000 is a fine budget to turbo a maxima for someone who knows what they are doing, but not for someone who doesn't).

D.Stillwell this advice goes for you as well. I'm advising you not to turbo or supercharge your maxima.
Why? Could you please elaborate?

BTW, $5000 is quite a big number. One should be able to not only turbo a Maxima, but have it done professionally by a good shop and get all new internals. And likely still spend way less than $5000, that's A LOT of money.

Now what I really want to know at this point, is about twin-turbo. Can someone (anyone WITH a twin-turbo would be really awesome) please give me some details on doing a twin-turbo VQ30? Especially the PROS/CONS of twin vs. single turbo vs. supercharger. Thanks guys!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Now what I really want to know at this point, is about twin-turbo. Can someone (anyone WITH a twin-turbo would be really awesome) please give me some details on doing a twin-turbo VQ30? Especially the PROS/CONS of twin vs. single turbo vs. supercharger. Thanks guys!
To make it fit is too much work vs. the gains. you can get a single to spool up plenty fast on a vq30/35. You are going to be limited by fwd and the fact you will have to build the block for high HP numbers.

The deal I'm talking about is only a few hundred bucks more ($2000 total) to get the supercharger AND new internals PLUS have it all done for you by a professional shop.
the parts alone cost 2k. your numbers are off.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 07-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 AM

What Nealoc187 said. Don't think you're going to have a budget and you're done, you just started spending money. There's a dozen factors to consider when boosting any car like condition of engine, how much power you plan to get, internals, condition of your tranny "very important", finding a good reputable installer that won't give you the run around if stuff breaks and the list goes on.

Before I had intentions to do my 6thgen and when I found out how much it would cost I made a hard u-turn and just did straight bolt-on's. That 5k limit you have is just the turbro installation and if you wanna go into the internals and tranny, computer, tuning etc you're just getting started. By the time all is done if ever you'd probably invest 20k and counting because with turbo there's no end. You're always gonna break stuff or want more power.

If you have the 5thgen just do the regular stuff like light weight pulley's, engine mounts, intake, headers with full exhaust, IM, spacers and BOP, tune, and some light weight rims and weight reduction and you can easily run low to mid 13's with practice. I do 14.2 @ 100.2 mph with a way heavier 6thgen and half the mods.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM

True, you can definitely run stock internals like that. I'd rather not, especially if I decide to go the twin-turbo route. But even if I do the supercharger, I'd still rather have at least new cams. I don't care how good the VQ30 is and how strong it is, I wouldn't want to run stock internals with forced induction. Definitely would make the engine stronger, and not because you necessarily need it, just because it's way more reliable that way.

There's a crapload of Maxima guys running SC's and Turbos on stock internals. The VQ30 is solid, and they're a dime a dozen. Even if you did blow one up, you could just buy another one and install it, and it would STILL be less than building an engine.

The VQ35 is less reliable with boost, but there's still plenty of guys running them boosted without issues.

Your comment about getting new cams means nothing, cams flow more air, which makes more power, reliability has nothing to do with replacing cams, period.

done deal for under $2k.
The deal I'm talking about is only a few hundred bucks more ($2000 total) to get the supercharger AND new internals PLUS have it all done for you by a professional shop.
You will not ever install a supercharger and have it running for under $2000. Ever.

You will ESPECIALLY never have it installed by a shop anywhere near that price point.

And the fact that you think you can get new internals, a supercharger kit, plus labour and installation, even by a backyard mechanic, for under $5000 is laughable. No offense, but you really have no idea what you're talking about.

The price to build the internals plus supercharge is a minimum of $4000+ $2000 and that's if you do everything yourself.

The +$2000 is for all the stuff you didn't think about that you need during the job. Anyone who has actually done a build knows about this mysterious, unlisted amount of money that is ACTUALLY costs.

The fact that you think $5000 is a lot of money to go FI on any car, is funny.
For instance, to purchase a bare-bones Supercharger kit for the RWD VQ35DE is about $4000. That is without injectors, fuel delivery, Engine management, gauges, widebands, installation, any engine internals, spark plugs, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM

If you don't believe what TunerMaxima3000 just said then you will have to learn on your own. Point of the story is there's no budget when it comes to installing a super or turbocharger, especially on the maxima's. Good luck though...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

All he has to do is talk to Crusher!

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Don't do it if you do not know enough about cars and turbos. Even if someone did it for you it will be expensive and you still have to maintain it and fix it in the future when it brakes down.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
SLOW

Why? Could you please elaborate?

Without being too harsh and going in to specific detail, just about every single sentence you've typed in this thread is way off base, not applicable, or just flat out wrong. It is very clear that you are woefully ill-informed.

I strongly suggest a ton more reading and research (like months and months if not years) before you even consider taking on this project. You'd be really out of your depth at this point.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Without being too harsh and going in to specific detail, just about every single sentence you've typed in this thread is way off base, not applicable, or just flat out wrong. It is very clear that you are woefully ill-informed.

I strongly suggest a ton more reading and research (like months and months if not years) before you even consider taking on this project. You'd be really out of your depth at this point.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM
SLOW

I'm not trying to own anybody. Just trying to save both of these guys a lot of money and headaches until they are much better prepared for this sort of undertaking with their max.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to own anybody. Just trying to save both of these guys a lot of money and headaches until they are much better prepared for this sort of undertaking with their max.
Brother some people just will never listen no matter how much you explain,show,document and give past experience to.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM
RR5

Step 1: Click http://forums.maxima.org/supercharged-turbocharged-38/

Step 2:
Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Well said!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM

You should ask simpleNclean how much his setup cost since he is doing basically a ground up build....

I could not guess the amount but I am sure its not cheap and he has definitely surpassed the $5000 limit.

EDIT: Where's the op at? We haven't gotten a response from him...

Last edited by deloa84; 07-09-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

He passed 5k before even thinking about going turbo.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
He passed 5k before even thinking about going turbo.
Amen.

I'm past 3k already just in bolt ons, haven't even started on suspension and tires yet. I would love to have a super/turbo charger. But you're talking some serious cash to have it done properly.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Wow, taking on an F/I project with very little knowledge and or a budget? Yea......I may be new to this site, but I am hardly new to the automotive world.

The best thing you could do OP, is listen to the vets around here. They're not trying to jerk your chain, but they are trying to help you.

Building an F/I car is not like a movie or video game. When the poster above said something about years and years of experience and education before taking something like this, THAT HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

With all do respect, you sound young. So get yourself a starter car and start taking her apart. I started with a stock 88' 5.0 Fox at 16 and turned it into a 480 RWHP animal within a few years. Clutch went out, dad forced me to learn or walk.

Learn the ins and outs of cars (they're all different, but the same concept) and get a build or two under your belt before you go jumping onto the track with Jeff Gordon.

Last edited by TexasTex; 07-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM

$5k FTlolz not to mention long term financial requirements keeping everything in working order. I dont even have my V2 installed because I know I don't have the money if something were to break and thats only at 8PSI.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM

So, a week and several posts of advice and the OP has no response whatsoever? Hmmmm...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
RR5

That sort of thing happens all too often. Nubs join, post then never reply.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM

OP got his answer.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Banned

/thread
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Turbo 5th gen

I am thinking of doing same thing, despite all the people saying its not worth it, its actually quite simple. On stock internals and the 3-7 PSI boost range ,as someone said before you will be fine (as long as your engine is in good nick). A bigger turbo will cause low end lag, so best to use a turbo from a 1500 or 2.0 car. The maxima will take care of low end torque ,and small turbo will increase your top end. 2001 is 227 hp stock. a t25 on 4 PSI will give it a 300+ jobby.
Main problem with increasing power is auto tranny, eventually even if in good condition it will break down, but with a tranny recondition ,and not trashing the s**t out of her all the time box should last 5 years or so. There are some tranny mods but quite costly. I'd be happy with replacing or reconditioning tranny every 5 years. If you do turbo,add headers, Y pipe , highflow cat, straight pipe from cat and dont **** round with any metal work, car will push 400 hp and you wont even need to certify. Turbo can be installed by relocating battery to boot, and some very clever pipe workings. Small intercooler can go underneath car fitted horizontally just behind grill with a scoop, but dont be driving through any puddles.lol.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by samuraipsy
I am thinking of doing same thing, despite all the people saying its not worth it, its actually quite simple. On stock internals and the 3-7 PSI boost range ,as someone said before you will be fine (as long as your engine is in good nick). A bigger turbo will cause low end lag, so best to use a turbo from a 1500 or 2.0 car. The maxima will take care of low end torque ,and small turbo will increase your top end. 2001 is 227 hp stock. a t25 on 4 PSI will give it a 300+ jobby. Main problem with increasing power is auto tranny, eventually even if in good condition it will break down, but with a tranny recondition ,and not trashing the s**t out of her all the time box should last 5 years or so. There are some tranny mods but quite costly. I'd be happy with replacing or reconditioning tranny every 5 years. If you do turbo,add headers, Y pipe , highflow cat, straight pipe from cat and dont **** round with any metal work, car will push 400 hp and you wont even need to certify. Turbo can be installed by relocating battery to boot, and some very clever pipe workings. Small intercooler can go underneath car fitted horizontally just behind grill with a scoop, but dont be driving through any puddles.lol.

Well you have three posts, so you beat the OP in your dedication so far.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton

Well you have three posts, so you beat the OP in your dedication so far.
Im a newb for sure but I have mucked around with cars all my life so , what are your main problems with my original post on this thread?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM

DO it!

Financial costs? F=8k it!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by george__
DO it!

Financial costs? F=8k it!

Agreed , even professionally , its not gonna cost 8k its 4k for kit, and install not gonna be more than 1k
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 AM

^^ The point is, I think, that even if you get it done well for $5k instead of 8k...thats a lot of money

And now you got a turbo maxima with tons of power in straight line and nothing else...no handling, zero traction, worse reliability, sucks to use in snow, etc...

It really makes more sense to tackle everything else first and make the car stronger...do all your bolt ons, mayb even upgrade internals, and do suspension. At this point you should still have a nice, reliable, quick maxi that you can use as a daily driver..

At that point if you still want the turbo and you got more money, do it. But that would be doing it right, and you then would have a proper turbo car not a stock maxima with blower.

This is how I see it at least
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM

OP maybe better off using the Maxima as a DD and buying another car for weekend fun... What about the Mazda Miata ?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM

I am thinking of doing same thing, despite all the people saying its not worth it, its actually quite simple. On stock internals and the 3-7 PSI boost range ,as someone said before you will be fine (as long as your engine is in good nick). A bigger turbo will cause low end lag, so best to use a turbo from a 1500 or 2.0 car. The maxima will take care of low end torque ,and small turbo will increase your top end. 2001 is 227 hp stock. a t25 on 4 PSI will give it a 300+ jobby.
Main problem with increasing power is auto tranny, eventually even if in good condition it will break down, but with a tranny recondition ,and not trashing the s**t out of her all the time box should last 5 years or so. There are some tranny mods but quite costly. I'd be happy with replacing or reconditioning tranny every 5 years. If you do turbo,add headers, Y pipe , highflow cat, straight pipe from cat and dont **** round with any metal work, car will push 400 hp and you wont even need to certify. Turbo can be installed by relocating battery to boot, and some very clever pipe workings. Small intercooler can go underneath car fitted horizontally just behind grill with a scoop, but dont be driving through any puddles.lol.
Not to be rude, but have you ever done a turbo install, let alone a custom turbo install? Calling it fairly simple is just naieve.
A few things, perhaps I'm just reading your post wrong (it's somewhat slammed together and a difficult read).
Intercoolers don't intake air, so going through a puddle doesn't mean anthing.
Small turbos tend to give you low end power and no top end, big turbos the inverse.
A Small turbo won't give you top end power.

And so on.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM

^
Holy crap. WELCOME BACK
Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 PM

BTW, $5000 is quite a big number. One should be able to not only turbo a Maxima, but have it done professionally by a good shop and get all new internals. And likely still spend way less than $5000, that's A LOT of money.

You are freaking DREAMING 100% pipe dream. $5,000 is allot of money for a kid who works in fast food and is dreaming about turboing his moms maxima, ya. Then I agree.

Just sorta kidding.
$5,000 would maybe get you the materials and a second hand turbo, all ebay stuff too. Then you get to cut and weld everything together yourself.

A shop doing all of this plus rebuilding the engine with NEW STUFF. You are straight up DREAMING.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Not to be rude, but have you ever done a turbo install, let alone a custom turbo install? Calling it fairly simple is just naieve.
A few things, perhaps I'm just reading your post wrong (it's somewhat slammed together and a difficult read).
Intercoolers don't intake air, so going through a puddle doesn't mean anthing.
Small turbos tend to give you low end power and no top end, big turbos the inverse.
A Small turbo won't give you top end power.

And so on.
thats why I put lol after my intercooler/puddle comment.

I have done about 5 turbo installs now , its not hard , just space,flow, oil and water feeds.

as for turbo size , a t30 on a small engine is going to take so long to spool up that ,it will cause massive lag. had one on an r32 and it only kicked in about 5k rpm and real power was not till around 5.5 -6 .

So small turbo and low boost is way to go for maxima done cheaply .

Strut braces and wider wheels should take care of any problems arising from a 60-70 hp increase.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 PM

thats why I put lol after my intercooler/puddle comment.

I have done about 5 turbo installs now , its not hard , just space,flow, oil and water feeds.

as for turbo size , a t30 on a small engine is going to take so long to spool up that ,it will cause massive lag. had one on an r32 and it only kicked in about 5k rpm and real power was not till around 5.5 -6 .

So small turbo and low boost is way to go for maxima done cheaply .

Strut braces and wider wheels should take care of any problems arising from a 60-70 hp increase.

also, yes i know how turbos work. a twin turbo has a small and big turbo one for low end and one for high end, and thats why twin charges are so great.
sure he may need to get some welding or fabrication done, but thats not too expensive. there is a VQ30DET turbo kit , 4k NZD ,that obviously fits the VQ30DE. so its just fitting it (thats just making space and undoing/redoing bolts) then taking a water and oil feed from somewhere. most nissan owners are lucky as they have a bolt in head that is designed for an oil feed. water feed is not too hard either.

Quick Reply: turbo charging 2001 maxima