5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Carltonator: 18"long/ 6" round Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mules5555
I just got rid of the y pipe completely and went with a dual in single out Magnaflow resonator. 2 1/4 inlet 2 1/2 outlet and also removed that bracket that was mentioned above. It's been off for a few years now and have also done some exhaust jobs on maximas that I have removed. No harm done to mine and no complaints from customers so must be ok! Lol
Pics or video please.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fakie j farkerton
pics or video please.
+1
Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Ok so you have cattman headers, yes? So the two front o2 sensors are on the headers themselves. Then where do you have your secondaries placed? On the longer portion of tubing right before the 30" MF resonator? On the Ypipe? They don't throw a code with the cat removed?
Yes cattman headers, and the 2 front sensors are disconnected and resting in my garage. So I do have primary sensor codes (obviously), but not secondaries. Whenever I make time, I plan on getting them in there. Secondaries are plugged into my primary port. Because at the time the primaries weren't long enough. But I think I can cut the tape/wire stalk and get them to plug in without extending the wires. When I find that this is possible, I'll have 2 more bungs added in. Like I said, there are a few members with this set-up and no SES light.

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Yeah louvered resonators seem to really have a bad rap. Though I've tried, I cannot find any data or measure for 'how bad' the flow restriction really is. I spoke to the owner of a muffler shop recently and he said "our louvered resonators only cause a 7% reduction in exhaust flow"... but that's the best I've found. I wonder how quiet the system would be using that MF 30" w a louvered core.... and if you'd notice a loss of power.
It wold sound stock. I always used louvered resonators, until I read about them and yeah, not cool. That's the beauty of perforated cores, they are stright through, so they do no obstruct flow in the least bit. Though, considering the dimensions of this thing (6" round x 30") it does take quite a mammoth to be effective. If this unit was louvered, it would sound like a Prius while in electric mode.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM

I have a pic.. But can't figure out how to post it.. I'm not new on here just have never posted a pic
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM

I have a pic.. But can't figure out how to post it.. I'm not new on here just have never posted a pic
Photobucket works well.
There are several other image hosting sites as well.
All free.

I use the photobucket app on my phone.

Now snap to it!!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 AM

Name:  54D2991A-F1DD-48C1-A87E-4BBFB6FE379C_zpsi4xd9zjx.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  92.4 KB

This was before i welded it all up and got it straight and all that.. But you get the idea.. I have gutted pre cats. Not third cat. And a Flowmaster muffler with a tip. Also added in the glasspack behind the dual in single out resonator to tone it down. It sounded good but man was it noisy.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-08-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Nice innovative thinking.....I think you would've had a better design using this Magnaflow muffler:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11465

Or using a Magnaflow Tru-Y transition p/n:10758 and a 27" long 6" round muffler p/n:12640, If this is a 2.5" system!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11886
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11459

Last edited by CMax03; 02-09-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Thank you ^^ I just use whatever's on the shelf.. It's free lol
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

This was before i welded it all up and got it straight and all that.. But you get the idea.. I have gutted pre cats. Not third cat. And a Flowmaster muffler with a tip. Also added in the glasspack behind the dual in single out resonator to tone it down. It sounded good but man was it noisy.
I thought about doing something like this, looks good.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 AM

It was definitely thinking outside the box even if it did sound worth crap! LOL! `
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That setup looks awesome. Is it possible to make it sound as good as it look? Like a bigger glasspack or resonator being fitted after the dual in single out resonator? Combined with equal length headers on a VQ30 I think the sound could be absolutely musical.

And there's no check engine light with the main cat deleted?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:39 PM

Nice work Man...
Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 AM

Thanks. And I have never threw a code for not having a cat. Sounds amazing. Real deep tone. Anyone ever heard a WRX with exhaust? Sounds real similar because it's so deep
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks. And I have never threw a code for not having a cat. Sounds amazing. Real deep tone. Anyone ever heard a WRX with exhaust? Sounds real similar because it's so deep
you won't throw a code with just a main cat missing for it isn't monitored with o2 sensors.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 PM

I have gutted out cats. Like I mentioned in previous reply to this thread.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With respect to Chris Gregg....perhaps Mules5555 should make a new thread
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Mules5555, what size tubing was used here? Let Us know how it runs on the street cause it looks like you will have alot of vibration transmitted from that muffler throw the floor cause it's to wide....After the resonator is this stock size tubing or larger? how about a video?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CMax03
Mules5555, what size tubing was used here? Let Us know how it runs on the street cause it looks like you will have alot of vibration transmitted from that muffler throw the floor cause it's to wide....After the resonator is this stock size tubing or larger? how about a video?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 PM

I can work on getting a vid. It's 2 1/4 pipe from flex pipes into dual in single out resonator. Then 21/2 pipe out right into a glasspack the 21/2 pipe all the way to the back with a Flowmaster and then a stainless steel tip. My pre cats are gutted. No vibration there is plenty of gap all the way around it. Sounds great and I love it. I had to do something. My stock y-pipe was rusted and leaking.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 AM

i don't know where to begin but I need help redoing all of my exhaust.

lets start from from to back

I plan to gut my precats (very over due, and no headers so please dont suggest)
-should I get a y pipe?
-if I get a test pipe, I fail omissions right?
-the b pipe is what the carltonator is, what are my options here? ( i know keeping the piping thickness of the y-pipe is important)
-do I go custom? keep it stock after test pipe??

I feel i have to do the precats, i just know at 175k they can't be good, and if I am going to do them, I mind as well replace the rest of the old beat up and getting loud exhaust.

-Main priorities are practicality, price, and quiet noise. It seems like the resonator is the biggest factor along with the final muffler.

Thanks, i am having trouble since every piece has options, and it could possibly get pricey and noisey!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 AM

my car got annoyingly loud with these mods

headers
y-pipe
2.5"
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 AM

thanks for the useless and irrelative info. would you like any spam from me in return?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM

whats the difference here in warpspeeds 2 y-pipes?

VQ 2002-2003 ALUMINIZED STEEL Y PIPE MAXIMA INFINITI I30
VQ 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima INFINITI I30 W/2.5" aluminized steel mandrel bent ypipe with all gaskets and hardware NO PRE-CATS DELETED
VQ 2002-2003 ALUMINIZED STEEL Y PIPE AND "HEAVY LOADED" CAT CONVERTER INFINITI

VQ 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima INFINITI W/2.5" aluminized steel mandrel bent ypipe and hi flow "HEAVY LOADED" magnaflow catalytic converter with all gaskets and hardware *NO PRE-CATS DELETED *cat not legal in California (WILL PASS EMISSIONS IN 49 STATES, NOT CALIFORNIA)
is this essentially packaged with a cat or test pipe? any one have expereince a magnaflow cat? or is a test pipe better just not law worthy?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
thanks for the useless and irrelative info. would you like any spam from me in return?
Welcome
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Gut the precats. I would leave the main cat on. With a test pipe in the philly area, you will fail the visual inspection unless you are tight with the garage mechanic. And, your exhaust will smell worse with a test pipe.

If the catback is intact, I would leave it alone. Any mods to it and the car gets louder and/or you will have the dreaded drone at 2k rpm.

If you need a catback, look into the walker quiet flow b pipe and muffler section. I have it now and its holding up better than the previous Bosal system.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Gut the precats. I would leave the main cat on. With a test pipe in the philly area, you will fail the visual inspection unless you are tight with the garage mechanic. And, your exhaust will smell worse with a test pipe.

If the catback is intact, I would leave it alone. Any mods to it and the car gets louder and/or you will have the dreaded drone at 2k rpm.

If you need a catback, look into the walker quiet flow b pipe and muffler section. I have it now and its holding up better than the previous Bosal system.
do you feel a y-pipe , gutted precats and every else stock will be too loud?

i have some kind of leak around the b-pipe or resonator, and i just had a shop put one in last year this time.

and the y-pipe just looks really rough.

Thanks Talltom for your input.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 PM

i don't know where to begin but I need help redoing all of my exhaust.

lets start from from to back

I plan to gut my precats (very over due, and no headers so please dont suggest)
-should I get a y pipe?
-if I get a test pipe, I fail omissions right?
-the b pipe is what the carltonator is, what are my options here? ( i know keeping the piping thickness of the y-pipe is important)
-do I go custom? keep it stock after test pipe??

I feel i have to do the precats, i just know at 175k they can't be good, and if I am going to do them, I mind as well replace the rest of the old beat up and getting loud exhaust.

-Main priorities are practicality, price, and quiet noise. It seems like the resonator is the biggest factor along with the final muffler.

Thanks, i am having trouble since every piece has options, and it could possibly get pricey and noisey!
No! The Carltonator is a 3" in/out resonator that Chris Gregg Named after myself since for the 3" Cattman Catback the volume was a bit much for some of as A/T guys so I fitted a 6" round x 18" long Magnaflow muffler with flanges to bolt in as a substitute/replacement of Cattman smaller 4" round resonator! The task of this larger was to reduce the volume in which it did!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM

do you feel a y-pipe , gutted precats and every else stock will be too loud?

i have some kind of leak around the b-pipe or resonator, and i just had a shop put one in last year this time.

and the y-pipe just looks really rough.

Thanks Talltom for your input.
No, it won't be loud. I'm rocking gutted precats with the walker system and the stock precat. It has a slight growl to it with no drone on the highway (I do lots of driving to/from Philly area).

The warpspeed will give you a small gain, but quite a few people on here lately had issues with theirs when they got it - mostly with the flex pipe. Some have since swapped it out before installing the y-pipe.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 PM

I think gutting the precats will increase your volume slightly but what affects your sound quality is the cat the Catback...A setup I loved was the Cattman Headers, WS Metallic Substrate Cat 2.5", Cattman 2.5" Bpipe with Oem rear muffler...This setup was like a V8 snarling and gurgling upon accel and decel! Very quiet in town, absolutely no drone! So what I would do if I were you is run a Hi Flow Cat, gutted precats, a Dual O2 Sim, WS ypipe, and the Oem catback or whatever you're rocking....If noise becames an issue (which it won't if you have an OEM catback) you can always install larger Resonator!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
No, it won't be loud. I'm rocking gutted precats with the walker system and the stock precat. It has a slight growl to it with no drone on the highway (I do lots of driving to/from Philly area).

The warpspeed will give you a small gain, but quite a few people on here lately had issues with theirs when they got it - mostly with the flex pipe. Some have since swapped it out before installing the y-pipe.
Awesome, thanks Tom for the feedback! I read that a little too, What did they do? replace with custom flex pipe?? sounds stupid buying a new part and having half of it a waste?? ugh.

I think gutting the precats will increase your volume slightly but what affects your sound quality is the cat the Catback...A setup I loved was the Cattman Headers, WS Metallic Substrate Cat 2.5", Cattman 2.5" Bpipe with Oem rear muffler...This setup was like a V8 snarling and gurgling upon accel and decel! Very quiet in town, absolutely no drone! So what I would do if I were you is run a Hi Flow Cat, gutted precats, a Dual O2 Sim, WS ypipe, and the Oem catback or whatever you're rocking....If noise becames an issue (which it won't if you have an OEM catback) you can always install larger Resonator!
Thanks a ton Cmax. and what do you mean by warpspeed Metallic Substrate Cat 2.5"? this --> link it seems like this is that the cat they include in the y-pipe cat combo? and cattman b-pipe is another word for test pipe right? or is that the piece after cat and before muffler (long pipe with resonator)? and I thought cattman is done and gone? with your suggestion it seems practical to get the hiflow cat that ws provides as a combo, and do stock all the way back. But if there is a good reason to get any other highflow cats I am open.

also please correct me if I i am missing something with this statement, if I get a ws y-pipe i thought the 02 sensors were plug and play? no sims, and the y-pipe has bungs in it??

Thanks a ton guys, for all these years exhaust has been lowest priority on my list. and sadly the precats should have been on the top of the list.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM

Awesome, thanks Tom for the feedback! I read that a little too, What did they do? replace with custom flex pipe?? sounds stupid buying a new part and having half of it a waste?? ugh.

Thanks a ton Cmax. and what do you mean by warpspeed Metallic Substrate Cat 2.5"? this --> link it seems like this is that the cat they include in the y-pipe cat combo? and cattman b-pipe is another word for test pipe right? or is that the piece after cat and before muffler (long pipe with resonator)? and I thought cattman is done and gone? with your suggestion it seems practical to get the hiflow cat that ws provides as a combo, and do stock all the way back. But if there is a good reason to get any other highflow cats I am open.

also please correct me if I i am missing something with this statement, if I get a ws y-pipe i thought the 02 sensors were plug and play? no sims, and the y-pipe has bungs in it??

Thanks a ton guys, for all these years exhaust has been lowest priority on my list. and sadly the precats should have been on the top of the list.
there are two types of Cats based on their internal core composition:
1. Ceramic
2. Metallic substrate (Stainless/inconel)

Bpipe is the section after the cat and b4 the rear muffler section....

A dual Sim will be necessary if you gut your precats....

Last edited by CMax03; 03-26-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

No the b pipe is from behind the cat to the muffler. Also, I think Cmax was just saying he had a good set-up with the Cattman B, not necessarily saying to go buy it. I had almost the same set-up, (headers, test pipe, Cattman B, stock muffler) and it was very nice. There are other b-pipes on the market available, not sure who, but I have heard of a few companies offering just the B pipe. With the 02/3 exhaust set0up, I really don’t think you’ll see much added sound if you keep your stock muffler especially if you do not get headers.

And yes, you’re correct, the ws-Y has bungs on it for your existing O2’s.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM

there are two types of Cats based on their internal core composition:
1. Ceramic
2. Metallic substrate (Stainless/inconel)

Bpipe is the section after the cat and b4 the rear muffler section....

Thanks, and that stinks I thought some got lucky with no codes and no sims.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No the b pipe is from behind the cat to the muffler. Also, I think Cmax was just saying he had a good set-up with the Cattman B, not necessarily saying to go buy it. I had almost the same set-up, (headers, test pipe, Cattman B, stock muffler) and it was very nice. There are other b-pipes on the market available, not sure who, but I have heard of a few companies offering just the B pipe. With the 02/3 exhaust set0up, I really don’t think you’ll see much added sound if you keep your stock muffler especially if you do not get headers.

And yes, you’re correct, the ws-Y has bungs on it for your existing O2’s.
Thanks man, that really helps hit home and bang it into my head.

Final Plan - gut precats, ws y-pipe, ws hiflow cat, oemish b-pipe and muffler with magnaflow tips tack welded on.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

Thanks, and that stinks I thought some got lucky with no codes and no sims.
I am still of the opinion if you gut your pre cats or get headers, you might not get the secondary code. In 120,000+ miles and 10+ years of having headers, I have yet to this day trip a secondary O2 sensor code.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM

I am still of the opinion if you gut your pre cats or get headers, you might not get the secondary code. In 120,000+ miles and 10+ years of having headers, I have yet to this day trip a secondary O2 sensor code.
Same here....Cattman Headers w/dual Sim nearly 10 years FLAWLESSLY!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 AM

Same here....Cattman Headers w/dual Sim nearly 10 years FLAWLESSLY!!!
Cmax, do you agree with NmexMAX or no? You said you agree but then said its a must you have the O2 sims?

Hopefully it helps i have brand new bosh O2 sensors under 10k.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Unless you want to make bungs and holes into your y-pipe where will the secondary o2 sensors go?

I am using a dual sim o2 sensor as well
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 AM

The ypipe bungs are the secondary O2 sensors....The primary O2 sensors are located on te exhaust manifolds...There's nothing extra to do other than to wire in the O2 Simulator...
Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 AM

The ypipe bungs are the secondary O2 sensors....The primary O2 sensors are located on te exhaust manifolds...There's nothing extra to do other than to wire in the O2 Simulator...
gotcha so (2) O2 sims are needed on the precats (the primary ones that regulate things) i am very slow with this so i apologize, and i was confused in what NemexMAX said, but now if I re-read it carefully he said secondary O2s which is on the y-pipe.

i think I get it now.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Cattman y-pipe didn't come with the bungs but I ended up making one for the wideband o2 sensor. The headers had bungs though

Quick Reply: Carltonator: 18"long/ 6" round Magnaflow