5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Happy Easter!
Anyone know where I can buy these?

2001 Nissan Maxima with 6000k fogs, angel eyes, and LED running lights - YouTube

Ive been wanting to do a projector retro in my stock 01 headlights.. but I noticed today the tops are starting to show the slightest of oxidation. I shoot for perfection and the oxidation is a no go. Ive tried headlight restoration kits on other people's cars and have not been happy with the results. So I figured if im buying new lights.. I might as well get 02/03 styled ones. OEM is out of the question.. if I had that kinda cash I wouldn't have an 01 lol. So, after a bit of searching.. Ive decided I want non rice ones like in the video. Ill be adding an HID kit if necessary to cope with the poor output. If I cant get that to work out the way I like without blinding everyone ill do a projector retrofit. If the halos are too dim during the day ill retro new ones in.
I know ebay headlights are typically rubbish.. but as long as I have the housing as a base to retro non crappy stuff in thats fine.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Well the reason I couldn't find the lights in the video was theyre sold as 02-03 headlights...-_- regardless they should fit my 01 id hope..

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlights

I am doing the same as you on my 2000 just ordered a pair of ebay. installation is easy
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 PM

I have these but with black housing and non-projector. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. Installation should be easy enough for you though. It was a bit involved on my 5.5 but that's different.

In short, the light projection is not very good.

Let me find my pictures so you can see what I'm on about.

Name:  CIMG0162_zps27a1f232.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  CIMG0160_zpsdf59eb33.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  78.3 KB

Those are both shots with low beams and are approximately 6 feet or so from the wall. You can see how the projection line is not consistent and scatters in a few areas. When they are not up against a wall, the light scatters pretty badly. Not so much that it's dangerous or anything, but it is far from ideal. The bulbs that I have are fairly bright which may be the reason I can still see OK. I don't think I would recommend them per se, but they're not bad if you're on a budget. I do wish I had bought factory replacements personally.

Hope that helps. I have plenty of other pictures if you'd like to see them before deciding whether to buy them or not.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kpotts_
I am doing the same as you on my 2000 just ordered a pair of ebay. installation is easy
Best of luck!

Originally Posted by dfj240
I have these but with black housing and non-projector. They're cheap and you get what you pay for. Installation should be easy enough for you though. It was a bit involved on my 5.5 but that's different.

In short, the light projection is not very good.

Let me find my pictures so you can see what I'm on about.

Those are both shots with low beams and are approximately 6 feet or so from the wall. You can see how the projection line is not consistent and scatters in a few areas. When they are not up against a wall, the light scatters pretty badly. Not so much that it's dangerous or anything, but it is far from ideal. The bulbs that I have are fairly bright which may be the reason I can still see OK. I don't think I would recommend them per se, but they're not bad if you're on a budget. I do wish I had bought factory replacements personally.

Hope that helps. I have plenty of other pictures if you'd like to see them before deciding whether to buy them or not.
Thank you for the pictures! I do see what you mean though. I will say theyre better patterns than what I expected! Now you said you have an 02.. did you get rid of HID? Or did you get HID hooked up again?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 AM

I got mine off ebay and they aren't that bad. I get way more visibility than my old stock HIDs. I can visibility at least 4 lanes wide and very far. I went with the 10000k bulbs. I have an 03 so had to have the conversion installed. I'll try to fine a pic to post I think I have one.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 AM

OMG that light beam pattern is horrible... simply trowing money out the window... a simple HID retorfit will most likely run you another $100 to $150 more and actually you will have a legit HID projector, bulbs and ballasts...
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
Thank you for the pictures! I do see what you mean though. I will say theyre better patterns than what I expected! Now you said you have an 02.. did you get rid of HID? Or did you get HID hooked up again?
The only reason I went with these lights is because the previous owner completely hacked up the headlight wiring trying to fit 00 lights on because my car was in a collision that ruined the passenger side headlight. I did not want to spend the extra money to get the factory headlights because I was taking care of what was quickly becoming a very expensive running and drivability issue related to the P0300 code. I should have just sucked it up and spent the extra money for OEM quality.

I'm not pleased with the down the road projection and it required getting some very impressive bulbs from autolumination to be able to see down the road. Those are NOT HID btw, those are simple halogen bulbs. Lows are 55w 8000k, highs are 100w 5500k. I also got indicator bulbs and fogs from them. Fogs are 55w 3000k I believe. Don't remember what I got for the indicators.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend getting them honestly. Now, I have seen a few people get them and do a custom projector housing from TSX or TL or something like that. You'll have to search for it, it's on here somewhere.

Let me organize my photo bucket and give you a link so you can see all the pictures I have of them.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/dfj2...%20Maxima%20SE

You'll see the headlights that the PO installed. The wiring he did was such that when the headlights were turned on, the low beam on the right side would be on, but no marker light, and the high beam would on the left side. Then when the high beams were engaged the left side would turn off completely and the right side indicator would come on. It was totally screwed.

Anyways, I can take more pictures if needed, including some long distance projection pictures to give you an idea of that. Will have to wait until tonight obviously as I haven't taken any yet, but just let me know.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM

In toronto pigs will be all over you for that purple color.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM

The only reason I went with these lights is because the previous owner completely hacked up the headlight wiring trying to fit 00 lights on because my car was in a collision that ruined the passenger side headlight. I did not want to spend the extra money to get the factory headlights because I was taking care of what was quickly becoming a very expensive running and drivability issue related to the P0300 code. I should have just sucked it up and spent the extra money for OEM quality.

I'm not pleased with the down the road projection and it required getting some very impressive bulbs from autolumination to be able to see down the road. Those are NOT HID btw, those are simple halogen bulbs. Lows are 55w 8000k, highs are 100w 5500k. I also got indicator bulbs and fogs from them. Fogs are 55w 3000k I believe. Don't remember what I got for the indicators.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend getting them honestly. Now, I have seen a few people get them and do a custom projector housing from TSX or TL or something like that. You'll have to search for it, it's on here somewhere.

Let me organize my photo bucket and give you a link so you can see all the pictures I have of them.

You'll see the headlights that the PO installed. The wiring he did was such that when the headlights were turned on, the low beam on the right side would be on, but no marker light, and the high beam would on the left side. Then when the high beams were engaged the left side woud turn off completely and the right side indicator would come on. It was totally screwed.

Anyways, I can take more pictures if needed, including some long distance projection pictures to give you an idea of that. Will have to wait until tonight obviously as I haven't taken any yet, but just let me know.
Thank you much for taking the time to go into all that detail. I do appreciate it! And do you think there's room for an HID kit to fit in the housing? Thats the only thing im concerned about now. Ahh a nasty job from that PO.. im lucky that there was only one owner before me and it was an older couple. I may try out some of those bulbs you have! Im interested in color matching my fogs and low beams. My current headlights have switchback leds in right now so I wanted to do 6000k all around but if I get these then I wont need switchbacks anymore.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM

The only reason ive ever wanted HIDs is to color match haha
Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Yea an HID kit should fit fine in the housing. The housing dimensions are spot on to the factory 02-03 headlights, so I can't see any great issue with that. The site I got those lights from is www.autolumination.com. They are masters of their craft for sure. They make bulbs for everything imaginable. I can definitely recommend them for bulbs. Plus, they're VERY reasonable on their prices.

The low beam I got is called diamond blue I think, and the highs are hyper white. Those are REALLY bright. Lol.

Anyways, I've got a couple pictures of the engine bay side I need to upload, so I'll drop those in tonight with the long range projection pictures. It's pretty bad. Lol
Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Please for the love of GOD dont stick HID in regular headlights it does nothing but create glare and blind people!your light output and throw distance is cut in half so it does not make it better!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
Please for the love of GOD dont stick HID in regular headlights it does nothing but create glare and blind people!your light output and throw distance is cut in half so it does not make it better!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Ricers will be ricers. Can't change that.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
Nowhere was it stated that im putting HIDs in my stock housing! Thats reckless, ricer, and stupid. Ive only ever consider HIDs for the colors attainable.. I want pure white. Not ghetto blue or anything so no worries. . BUT if I were ever to do the conversion I would NEVER put them in the stock housing!! The only way I would do HID with my current housing is if I did a projector retrofit. Trust me im on your side!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Ricers will be ricers. Can't change that.
Hope youre not implying im ricey..:'(
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Yea an HID kit should fit fine in the housing. The housing dimensions are spot on to the factory 02-03 headlights, so I can't see any great issue with that. The site I got those lights from is www.autolumination.com. They are masters of their craft for sure. They make bulbs for everything imaginable. I can definitely recommend them for bulbs. Plus, they're VERY reasonable on their prices.

The low beam I got is called diamond blue I think, and the highs are hyper white. Those are REALLY bright. Lol.

Anyways, I've got a couple pictures of the engine bay side I need to upload, so I'll drop those in tonight with the long range projection pictures. It's pretty bad. Lol
Thanks a ton for the help. Ill let you know what ends up happening
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 PM

Yea, definitely agree. No HID lights in Stock housing. Like I said earlier, there are a few on here that have used TSX projectors into the stock housing and it worked brilliantly. And again, the only thing I would recommend on my setup is where I bought the bulbs from. It was a bad decision buying these headlights.

To prove that further I've got distance projection pictures for everyone to laugh at. Lol. It's awful. They're uploaded to the same album as before. Link below.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/dfj240/library/02%20Maxima%20SE
Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Yea, definitely agree. No HID lights in Stock housing. Like I said earlier, there are a few on here that have used TSX projectors into the stock housing and it worked brilliantly. And again, the only thing I would recommend on my setup is where I bought the bulbs from. It was a bad decision buying these headlights.

To prove that further I've got distance projection pictures for everyone to laugh at. Lol. It's awful. They're uploaded to the same album as before. Link below.

Those arent the worst ive ever seen! But im gonna go ahead and get them sometime soon and once I do ill play with them until they look good and safe!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Purchasing my lights soon. Thinking about the halo projector fogs if I end up doing a projector retro in the headlights. My fog lights literally do nothing. Barely any light output.. honestly all they do is look good..

Im honestly hoping the headlights have bad output so it gives me a better reason to retro a projector when I replace the halos.

I want to make the projectors demon eyes.. I cant decide on color though. I want to do blue.. but thats illegal.. so I figured id do yellow or orange. Maybe ill just invest in color changing.. who knows.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 AM

I was wondering if anyone here knew how to install the halo headlight from a 00 maxima on an 03? I wish I didn't have to but my housing were broken and the lenses are beyond restoration, tried 5 times and the oxidize right back up. Oems are just too pricey for my daily