5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No air from vents??

Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM

No air from vents??

Hey everyone!

I have done a lot of reading and searching this far but have come up empty handed still. So this morning I went out to go to work and go and behold went to turn ac on and no air coming through the vents. So I tried all the different settings. I have the electronic controlled system. So I kept trying on the way to work. I can hear the ac compressor engage but nothing. So after a few hours I go out and try again. Nothing still. Once I left work, it worked no problem. While driving home they just stopped working again out of no where. I checked some fuses and they look fine. Can someone please direct me to the right place as to what to look for?! Any input is appreciated!

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM

with the auto climate control the blower motor resistors go bad, some replace both the resistor and fan motor since sometimes the high resistance in the motor takes out the resistor.

you can try just the resistor but it is expensive so some bite the bullet and do both just in case it gets knocked out again.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

if you are not getting air anywhere when you hit different modes, such as the floor, vent or the dash, then the possibilities are the blower motor, fuse/ relay. Suggestion would be take the blower motor out and check it from your battery and wire to the connection and see if the motor spin, if it does then it quite possibly the relay or fuse. Otherwise, Resistor usually quit working, if you only have one speed such as Hi fan speed.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
if you are not getting air anywhere when you hit different modes, such as the floor, vent or the dash, then the possibilities are the blower motor, fuse/ relay. Suggestion would be take the blower motor out and check it from your battery and wire to the connection and see if the motor spin, if it does then it quite possibly the relay or fuse. Otherwise, Resistor usually quit working, if you only have one speed such as Hi fan speed.
with the auto climate control the resistor controls all speeds, or at least it did in my 02 maxima, my 04 I35, and a buddies max. replaced the resistor and fan motor and havent had an issue since.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Hi everyone. Just to revisit this post. I replaced the resistor a while back and all was well. Vents began working again. Today all of a sudden while driving the vents stopped working again. This time I notice the ac compressor doesn't engage when I select the option. Any ideas as to what the issue is? What fuses/relays should I check? Thanks for any and all replies!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:23 AM

Fuse # 19 powers the control panel. Middle row, 2nd from right end, 10 amp.

There are 2 fuses (15 amp) in the under hood fuse panel. The cover is labeled BLOWER MTR. But if these are blown, the compressor should still run unless...

Are you aware that if the outside temperature is below 35º F, the a/c compressor will not run? But you should still have air blowing out of the dash vents.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think about the compressor not running under 35 degrees until after the fact and it makes sense as it was in the negatives yeaterday. My vents began working again last night randomly and have been working all day today.. I'm not sure what it was/is but I'll continue to monitor or it. Thanks a lot for the re
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM

Hey everyone. Well the issue continues. The vents work at random for a while then go back out. I tried swapping out the resistor again and checking fuses and relays. Any ideas as to what else it may be? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:00 AM

Try wiggling the wire harness plug on the blower motor when it isn't working. Also try hitting the blower motor with the handle of a screwdriver or something.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks again. I've tried messing with the blower motor a bit with no luck. It still works when it wants though it is much less than it was. I hear a noticeable noise when it does work coming from the motor area. I'm thinking of just replacing the motor this weekend and see if it's the culprit.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:37 AM

Hey everyone. Just needed a little help and was wondering if anyone can advise me as to which blower motor I need. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/blower-motors/15907?isAllVehicle=false&showTitle=&vehicleIdFromR eq=-1&vehicleIdSearch=49917

There are three to choose from and I don't want to by the wrong part. Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 PM

All three of those would fit. But the top one does not come with the squirrel cage and I have not been able to remove one from the old fan.

I have used the TYC brand on 2 cars and they fit and worked fine. I just don't understand why advanced auto is charging 3 times the price for the TYC blower motor. It's $34.79 + shipping on rockauto.com and $40.46 on amazon.com including shipping.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

similar issue

i think i am having a similar problem. My blower motor only comes on sometimes. I can hear it moving position when i switch it to different vents but it won't come on only randomly, but when it is on it works perfectly fine. Im having the same issue with my sunroof. The switch that opens it fully only works sometimes but the switch that moves it up and down always works. Are these related possibly?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 PM

^ Ill add to this list of this issue as well. My fan speeds work selectively as well. Odd thing i have noticed is When i do get it to work off a fresh "restart" of the car...once i turn the fan off (say it gets too cold and i turn it off) if needing to turn it on again it never seems to work until the car is turned off and restarted again. This has happened few times...
just weird.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
^ Ill add to this list of this issue as well. My fan speeds work selectively as well. Odd thing i have noticed is When i do get it to work off a fresh "restart" of the car...once i turn the fan off (say it gets too cold and i turn it off) if needing to turn it on again it never seems to work until the car is turned off and restarted again. This has happened few times...
just weird.
I wonder if this could be a problem with the blower motor relay. It is located on the back side if the fuse panel. There are 3 relays there, the ignition relay, the accessory relay and the blower motor relay. There are also 3 wire harness connectors, but they don't play any part in this.

The 3 relays form a triangle, 2 on top one down. Of the the 2 on top, the one towards the side of the car is the blower motor relay. You can swap it with the relay below it.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by atripptwice
i think i am having a similar problem. My blower motor only comes on sometimes. I can hear it moving position when i switch it to different vents but it won't come on only randomly, but when it is on it works perfectly fine. Im having the same issue with my sunroof. The switch that opens it fully only works sometimes but the switch that moves it up and down always works. Are these related possibly?
I don't think your 2 problems are related. You have 2 separate problems.

It sounds like you need a new blower motor. The brushes in the motor are probably worn out and make intermittent contact.

As for the sunroof, the motor itself is probably OK because there is only one motor that moves the glass. So either the switch in the control panel is bad or the limit switch for movement is bad. But if the limit switch is bad, you may have to replace the motor because it is built into the assembly that is the motor.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik

It sounds like you need a new blower motor. The brushes in the motor are probably worn out and make intermittent contact.

As for the sunroof, the motor itself is probably OK because there is only one motor that moves the glass. So either the switch in the control panel is bad or the limit switch for movement is bad. But if the limit switch is bad, you may have to replace the motor because it is built into the assembly that is the motor.
I took out the motor and tested and it works fine. I connected my test light to the wiring harness that goes into the blower and there is power! So at this point it has to be the control right?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik

i pulled out the resistor even though it didn't seem like that would be it because it wasn't working at all not just certain speeds but the thing was completely coroded. I got an auto zone one and its working great! now just gotta figure out the sun roof.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 PM

IF you have the electronic climate control, there is a way to go in as a "test mode" and it should tell you exactly what it wrong with itself. It's all in the FSM which is around here somewhere.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
IF you have the electronic climate control, there is a way to go in as a "test mode" and it should tell you exactly what it wrong with itself. It's all in the FSM which is around here somewhere.
go into test mode by holding the off button for five seconds within five seconds of turning the key