5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

switching from manual A/C to auto A/C controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

switching from manual A/C to auto A/C controls

Has anyone done it?

I was getting a SECU unit for my maxima and whilst I was in there got the automatic a/c control unit thinking I could just swap it with the crappy manual one, not so fast!! The 2 small plugs plug right in, exact same, however, there is no socket for the fan plug, and no plug I see to plug it in and loop it back through. So there has to be a place this plugs into, I've been to the junkyard a couple times to cross check, and i don't see that plug in the car I took the unit from, but there has to be a plug or a factory extension or something.......
Also, on the manual one, it has a fan relay, the auto one has a fan amp. They are different and have different slots they fit into, looks like the whole bottom of the fan enclosure clips off and I can swap it with the other, but then the plugs are different, huh?
I find it hard to believe they made seperate harnesses for cars with or without auomatic climate control, so any ideas?? Maybe other plugs not used are taped up? Appreciate any input, Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

You can't easily swap the types of climate controls. So many pieces are different and there are more of them with the auto climate controls. Yes, the wire harnesses under the dash are different for the 2 types of controls. The auto climate controls use 4 temperature sensors and one of them requires a different dashboard.

There was a 3rd gen org member, Craig Brace, who did the swap and he said that if he had known in advance what it required, he would have never tried it.

I would say forget it.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

thought about doing this a while back and when i did all the research required for this transformation from manual to digital controls i said the hell with this **** swapping out the entire dash, full dash harness and all that crazy stuff..... i made my crappy manual a/c controls look sick with full leds and all that good stuff
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, looks likes a pain in the ****, figure I'd ask anyway, thanks