5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

exhaust 2001 20th anniversary

Old 09-14-2014, 06:04 PM

exhaust 2001 20th anniversary

Hello all, I was doing some research and it appears the 20th anniversary edition may have different exhaust than normal model. Can anyone confirm? I am looking for a very smooth (not loud tone) exhaust. Something to give more flow but not much louder than a 350z or g35. Any suggestions? I have already ordered my weapon R secret intake. Not looking for a ton of performance but a nice look (not the big ole cannon) but something to smooth it out.

Thank you
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by quick-e
Hello all, I was doing some research
Not so sure that's true, but I digress...

The 20th AE exhaust is exactly the same as the "regular" model, only difference is it has curved down tips.

Weapon R intake? Should've done more research and did your own for WAY less moolah.

Not looking for much performance? You won't get much, not from those mods.

When you say exhaust do you mean catback, axleback? What? Catback will most certainly be way louder and cost more. If you want a nice low sound, just get an axleback.

I have an OEM replacement ANSA exhaust, sounds louder than stock and real sweet but not in any way loud and sounds stock. It has some nice 3.5" tips on there, if you want I'll sell it to you for REAL cheap esp. if you're in NOVA area
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by quick-e
Hello all, I was doing some research and it appears the 20th anniversary edition may have different exhaust than normal model. Can anyone confirm? I am looking for a very smooth (not loud tone) exhaust. Something to give more flow but not much louder than a 350z or g35. Any suggestions? I have already ordered my weapon R secret intake. Not looking for a ton of performance but a nice look (not the big ole cannon) but something to smooth it out.

Thank you
I'll say get your money back from the wepon r and pick up one of the "new new" "a33intakeŽ" you could be one of the first to get it....
Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The mufflers have different tips depending on year. Infiniti's and AE's have the turned down tips due to bumper shape. 00-01 dual outlets with single finisher, 02-03 dual outlet with dual finishers.

Aftermarket exhaust parts will fit all 00-03 (and 04 I35).
Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Yeah buddy not looking for much at all. I have had an intake on all cars that I like and plan on keeping. I just painted her and hope to keep it a while. As for the intake looking for a lil noise not much and the same from the exhaust. Cat back is cool and so is axle back. Someone at an exhaust shop told me the offset is different for this model. I cannot confirm but that's why I'm checking. I appreciate you guys response.

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

The 20th AE exhaust is exactly the same as the "regular" model, only difference is it has curved down tips.

Weapon R intake? Should've done more research and did your own for WAY less moolah.

When you say exhaust do you mean catback, axleback? What? Catback will most certainly be way louder and cost more. If you want a nice low sound, just get an axleback.

I have an OEM replacement ANSA exhaust, sounds louder than stock and real sweet but not in any way loud and sounds stock. It has some nice 3.5" tips on there, if you want I'll sell it to you for REAL cheap esp. if you're in NOVA area
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
The mufflers have different tips depending on year. Infiniti's and AE's have the turned down tips due to bumper shape. 00-01 dual outlets with single finisher, 02-03 dual outlet with dual finishers.

Aftermarket exhaust parts will fit all 00-03 (and 04 I35).

Nice thank you. That helps the exhaust shop was telling me different. But now I know.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM

So do all 5 / 5.5 maximas have the muffler where it opens up a valve after xxxxrpms?
I thought it was only the se and up models for some reason.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
So do all 5 / 5.5 maximas have the muffler where it opens up a valve after xxxxrpms?
I thought it was only the se and up models for some reason.
Yes, they all have the same variable capacity muffler, only tips differ.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Externally the tips appear to be the only difference....It's not! The AE mufflers flow better than the regular Maxima mufflers and offer 5 hp more (227 hp vs 222). I would change the resonator to a Magnaflow 22" unit and correct all the flattened sections! But truth be known...The OEM systemis good for 247 whp and I'm sure you're no where close to it so just relax!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM

I had a Megan catback installed on my old 01 AE. It didn't fit properly, & they had to weld on additional 3" of piping. So beware of that! But I really enjoyed the sound of that catback.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kauaiwyatt
I had a Megan catback installed on my old 01 AE. It didn't fit properly, & they had to weld on additional 3" of piping. So beware of that! But I really enjoyed the sound of that catback.
Yup, common sense. AE rear bumper has no exhaust opening its just straight on the bottom with the lip kit. Hence why the AE muffler had turned down tips to fit behind the bumper.

So you either get a stillen rear lip or make a cutout for the exhaust. Otherwise no aftermarket exhaust really "fits" the AE maxima with that rear bumper. Or you can add extra pipe to extend it past the AE bumper and hang it lower...
Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Yup, common sense. AE rear bumper has no exhaust opening its just straight on the bottom with the lip kit. Hence why the AE muffler had turned down tips to fit behind the bumper.

So you either get a stillen rear lip or make a cutout for the exhaust. Otherwise no aftermarket exhaust really "fits" the AE maxima with that rear bumper. Or you can add extra pipe to extend it past the AE bumper and hang it lower...
Question with those who have regular 5th gens that have done exhaust work, non AE 2000-2001. is the exhaust system all welded together? as in from the cat all the way through the resonator and ending at the axle one welded piece of metal? Because I was under the assumption that it was 3 pieces. I don't have a regular model so im not sure. I was installing my catback today and I found out that it indeed is not in 3 pieces. So, AE exhaust may actually be different other than the tip. I was thinking perhaps that's where Nissan got the extra 5 horses from.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by AT978
Question with those who have regular 5th gens that have done exhaust work, non AE 2000-2001. is the exhaust system all welded together? as in from the cat all the way through the resonator and ending at the axle one welded piece of metal? Because I was under the assumption that it was 3 pieces. I don't have a regular model so im not sure. I was installing my catback today and I found out that it indeed is not in 3 pieces. So, AE exhaust may actually be different other than the tip. I was thinking perhaps that's where Nissan got the extra 5 horses from.
I'm with you as well on that....Maybe a lighter spring on the variable flap...Tips don't do that much of a difference....I would say all the power is in the rear muffler section...But if you get a chance to see a salvaged AE measure the tubing I'm sure it's the same size 2" OD.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

From the factory, the B pipe is one long piece. It bolts to the cat and muffler with 2 bolt flanges on each end. The B pipe terminates before the rear beam.

Its pretty common for the flanges to rust off. Most shops just weld them back together.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Is this why aftermarket mufflers are so freaken loud on the highway? They're always "open"?