5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Double Din with Nav Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Biatchzxz
So I ordering the headunit as we speak. Ans I got some cash left over. I was wondering. About speakers.

Ho bout maybe some ideas on speaker,setups now. Maybe can order at least fronts. Should I go with components for front? Any specific brands you guy like or use or models that aren't crazy expensive. Since this is my first system upgrade on THIS CAR! I'm not stuck on alpine. So if all opinions and suggestions are totally welcome

Thanks so much
Install the HU first. If wired properly, it will make your current speakers sound BETTER.

Re-evaluate how they sound after the HU, then decide if/how to proceed.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Yeah headunit should b here tomorrow. So I'll toss it in and hopefully everything works with stock system. And see what's up headunit is only 22 rms per channel though. Is that more then tbr stock headunit I ordered the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598. And i ended up ordering the Alpine 610c Type S components 6.5 for the front. But won't be here for a week. But I'm hoping at least the stock speakers sound better. With the new headunit. Before I install the components. Amp and sub. What u guys think. Would that be a decent setup. Compared to stock. Or did I not make the right move.

As far as you saying wiring it properly. Meaning what exactly

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-20-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 PM

The HU's power rating is pointless and will have no effect since you're not using the HU's built in amplifier. Instead you'll be using the wiring harness to send the preouts to the Bose amp. Just make sure you look at the Bose thread you mentioned previously and do the following things...

1.) Connect the HU's remote turn on lead to the correct wire in the Bose wiring harness, the amp won't turn on without it.
2.) Ground the Bose amp to the car chassis.
3.) Ground your trip computer if you want it to keep working (i.e. Trip Odometer, Temp gauge, DTE, etc...) If you don't ground it the trip computer will be stuck on one of it's settings, I don't recall which one.
4.) I believe the thread also mentions connecting a power wire for the Bose antenna. If I recall correctly the antenna is powered so you won't get good radio reception unless you give it power.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
The HU's power rating is pointless and will have no effect since you're not using the HU's built in amplifier. Instead you'll be using the wiring harness to send the preouts to the Bose amp. Just make sure you look at the Bose thread you mentioned previously and do the following things...

1.) Connect the HU's remote turn on lead to the correct wire in the Bose wiring harness, the amp won't turn on without it.
2.) Ground the Bose amp to the car chassis.
3.) Ground your trip computer if you want it to keep working (i.e. Trip Odometer, Temp gauge, DTE, etc...) If you don't ground it the trip computer will be stuck on one of it's settings, I don't recall which one.
4.) I believe the thread also mentions connecting a power wire for the Bose antenna. If I recall correctly the antenna is powered so you won't get good radio reception unless you give it power.
Agree on all points.
3. The wire is brown/white in the secondary harness. Ground it with your radio ground.
4. Yep, make sure power antenna gets power from the solid blue wire in the aftermarket harness. Wire colors should line right up...
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 AM

I mean aren't some/most of those already setup with stock head unit. Like ground wires for odometer ans bose amp etc should already be done isn't it? And the othet I would need to match up correctly. Also I should def be able to find a wiring diagram for the harness in that thread or another right! Ugh. Wish dtuff was plug and play lol. Like connect this one that and we have s party. I.been preparing my car for this a while.sound dampenjng with FatMat and also sold plastic no more rattles and wind noise Also Runnjnt Amp install kit. Sucks *** though causw j ran an 8 gauge and realized that was stupid. Because ill prolly want to run more than 300w total between the front door speakers which alone are bout 80 rms a piece I believe. And then sub def will be 300 min ,? So I got a 0 gauge Kit that I have to redo everything.

Anyway. So.Bottom line headunit will be here today and im going to try to install it likd you said. Hopefully it has some sort of directions in there to guide me. If not. I'm coming right back on here and asking for some help. :-). Thanks guys for you being patient and helping me out
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 AM

I mean aren't some/most of those already setup with stock head unit. Like ground wires for odometer ans bose amp etc should already be done isn't it?
Yes, the Bose amp and trip computer grounds are already setup but they use the Bose HU as the ground source. When you remove the Bose stereo you remove the ground. The Kenwood HU is not designed the same way as the Bose so when you remove the Bose you have to find an alternate source of ground. It's not difficult, just ground to the chassis behind the center console. On the right hand side there's a pillar with some holes in it. I got some ring terminals and grounded my Kenwood HU/Bose amp to the same spot on the pillar (Bose amp ground below the HU ground) and then grounded the Trip computer to the chassis of the Kenwood HU. I left my antenna power unhooked since I never listen to the radio.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Someone please help me I'm gonna kill myself. I just got my headunit. Harness and all the stuff j need. Now basically dash kit is all done. Which is a joke. Now for the wiring part. I'm literally lost man I dont even know where to begin dude. I got the metra harness that tbeh gave me which is made for the bose system. Now I don't know what exactly in doing with it. What I have to do. I know it can't be as sinple as just connecting the stock harness to metra. Headunit has its own harness right so now I don't know what I'm doing. And I wanna do this on my own. I'm good with my hands and just need some help and guidance at first and then Im good with working. Believe me If you guide me in the direction I can figure it out in sure. Because directions. I have are co fusing me. I don't know if I'm just having one of those days whwre im clueless but I need help. What do j have to match up. Splice the whole nice so many wires. Dude and I don't mnkw where to start
Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM

I suggest you call Crutchfield and talk to one of their tech support people. They'll be able to walk you through it over the phone which will be easier for you than a back and forth over an internet forum.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM

I suggest you call Crutchfield and talk to one of their tech support people. They'll be able to walk you through it over the phone which will be easier for you than a back and forth over an internet forum.
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Talking to them is tough and like embarrased that I had to ask same question a couple times. My. Main questions was

The 3 black ground wires.

- a. Amp ground wire. -metra bar harness
B - chasis ground
C - kenwood ground wire

2. And the blue wires which are remote turn on wire and antenna power or whatever. Which from what I understand and read some thread. Is the same thing basically. So they said. To connect blue wires from Metra harness to Kenwood blue wire

So that's where I am at.

Basically I only need to connect 3 wires to tbe harness from the HU wires. Is
Bottom line

I just wanted to be sure I do it right. So I don't **** anything up

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Basically I only need to connect 3 wires to tbe harness from the HU wires. Is
Bottom line

I just wanted to be sure I do it right. So I don't **** anything up
I don't recall the number of wires but there aren't that many you actually connect to the harness since there's no speaker wire to deal with. Sounds like you got it figured out though.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM

I don't recall the number of wires but there aren't that many you actually connect to the harness since there's no speaker wire to deal with. Sounds like you got it figured out though.
It's about 3-4 wires. Roughly. The grounds(black) Amp turn on(blue) And red and yellow

Now my question is this. IF I do want to connect an aftermarket amp what would I need to do. Because when my alpine speakers come I'm going to want to use an aftermarket amp to power them. But the thing is. That I only ordered from component speakers. And not the backs yet. So should I wait to connect them until I get the back or can I run set it up to run an aftermarket amp to power the alpine soeakwrs and also an aftermarket sub. Basically. If I get the back coax speakers. My system will be complete and I will just not have to bypass the bose
Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Truth is I'm sorry for. Being a pain in the *** because I'm she's that the Bose replacement thread has every answer I possibly need and I'm just lazy to read through it but has to. Done cuz. I'm annoying the **** out all you guys n your prolly like this dudes a moron. But I def appreciate feh help you guys blessed me with. Because I did buy the HU Was recommended to me here. Snd the front component speakers. So far the setup I have to connect is:

HEADUNIT
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X 598-
-built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
-6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer

SPEAKERS

FRONT - Alpine SPS-610C 6-1/2" Component 2-Way Type-S

-480 Watts Peak / 160 Watts RMS. 80 x2

REAR - stock until I get the alpine coax

SUBWOOFER

- Sony Xplod XS-L100P5W -1100w
-Peak: 1100 watts
- RMS: 300 watts

Amplifier

-Sony XM-502X (laying around) -don't know what to use it for
50W x 2, or 130W x*1 RMS
-

So this is what's I'm working this that I would like to put it eventually. For now I'm just installing the headunit and leaving the rest and see how that's going to be. And take it from there what do your guys thin so far any suggestions. I know the amp sucks.

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-21-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't bother with that 2 channel amp. It's under-powered for a sub and I don't think it's worth it to drive just two fronts. I'd suggest you ride out the HU with the Bose speakers/sub until you get the rears and a proper amp setup.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 PM

I wouldn't bother with that 2 channel amp. It's under-powered for a sub and I don't think it's worth it to drive just two fronts. I'd suggest you ride out the HU with the Bose speakers/sub until you get the rears and a proper amp setup.

I figured you would say that. Because that's basically what i thought myself. It's just pointless has no power. Not even to power the type s components lol. And a sub pointless. I'm just going to see if I can at least pick up and good amp to power the components and the sub for now.

So my items that I need next would be

Type s coax 6.5 for rear
4 channel amp
Single or 2 channel amp for 10" sub

Don't think I really want 2 10/12" subs going. I think it might be to much. I'm trying to have it as even as possible withohg having the sub over power rest. I'm into really even sound. Like how the bose is setup as crap as people make it out to be its not that terrible. I like that it's evenlt distributionb. So yoh think that would be good enough or really think I need 2 subs. ?

Now I just need to find a good combo package

What you think my best buy should be
the rear coax speakers or amp. I would think the rear coax so at least that would be complete but maybe I'm thinking wrong. What would you do.

Since I ordered the fronts already. Net week there gonna be here.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Can someone explain to me where frick I can ground this **** to. I'm getting pissd off already with thus. Ceap. That's rhe only thing that I can seem to figure out. Is a place where I can ground to
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Suspension Yoda

There are two 10mm studs with nuts on them towards the bottom of the radio cavity, which mount the TCM. Use a ring terminal and one of those studs/nuts.

...Maybe you should have had a professional install. Or, should have done more research.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM

All done. Installed. Eff that ****. I like doing things on my own. Instead of wasting money to do it when it was basically already done. Bottom line I found a good ground. Threw on a ring terminal and soldered it in just for ****e and giggles and got it mounted up. Finally. Bloody hands comes with the gig. Now. Getting this setuo I another ordereal with all tbe settings. At first. Tbe rear speakers weren't workinf on blue toothb but on tuner it was. it was driving me crazy. Realized it was a setting in the head unit. So that's done
Believe be brah I def do tons of research and reading. I don't just dive into without knowing somewhat what I'm
Doing. I'm not sure if it sounds better or same with new unit. I'll be honest can't really tell yet. Then again. Door panels are off. Cause I'm throwing in some Fat Mat and plastic dip. Def gotta get this sub,amp, and speakers for sure. Cause this Bose is doody and not cutting it. So many settings on this headunit that I wasn't aware it even had.

Also gotts to mount this microphone somewhere. Not to sure on wherr I can put/hide it Any

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:11 AM

So yeah I bought me a set of alpine 610 components for front and coax for rear. Cause the stock Bose aren't going to cut it. Loudness factor. Is horrible. All the turned up is not loud at all. I know Thays a common issue. So now I have to get these bad boya installed professionally cause I'm not messinr with tbese components and such. Now I need amps and sub box for the 10" sub I have and I'll be done for now. Can't wait to hear what these alpine speakers sound like compared to stock Bose.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 AM

Can someone recommend me some Amps on a budget that would work for my situation. I'm sorry to ask these questions. But you guys have helped me build my system this far and I have taken the suggestions and bought whatever was recommended. I'll take pictures to prove it of all the boxes :-). So pretty lined up Just need an amp to power these alpines. Btw how do tbey sound amped our without a sub. Just curious. Cause once I hook tbese up im assume f the Bose sub goes bye bye. And I have a sub to hook up but just need to get amp n box for that. So might take some time. And Im impatient to wait and do it all one shot. Might as well get it done step by step so it's done and I don't spend the money on something else