5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Double Din with Nav Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Double Din with Nav Install Help

Hey Guys and Gals.. So ive been a long time lurker on these boards and love it ill be honest i learn a ton... first time starting a thread though because figured you guys would give me best info and help ..

So This is the deal i have a 2002 Maxima with the stock "Bose" system. and i was just given a new headunit which is a Koolertron 8 Inch Car DVD GPS Navigation System - QL-CRL703

and i really wanted to install this bad boy in... supposedly its for Toyota Carola i belive... Anyway.. I wanted to really find out.. If it were possible to install this and have it fit properly .. .. Since the Climate Control. is there.. Dunno if this unit would be able to control the climate control as well.(just a dream).. But anyway.. What do you guys think. or suggest.. Would it be possible for me to do it.. Because i really wouldnt want it to go to waste. Ive like added an Aux port and hard wired Usb to bose .. and like i have to redo it and its just getting to be annoying and wanted to add some new speakers maybe some Apline SpR-60's and a Alpine SWR-12D2 Sub.. Amp Im not sure yet about what to get.. maybe just stick to getting an Alpine AMP as well. Obviously this setup is not like set in stone to be honest its. just what i was looking at.. and done some reading so got the idea and suggestions from around here.. But If anyone has something else they would do.. let me know.. Cause im assuming i cant really use the Stock Speakers and Sub with Amp and get the most out of the system.. I know a new Headunit def makes a difference compared to stock (which i dont really think is terrible ,buts that just my honest opinion).. Just getting annoyed and im a real Audiophile.. I Produce music and like LOVE ME SOME Quality sound.. If my studio room sounds great.. and My car is actually where i test out my tracks to see what they would sound like.. since studio monitors and acoustics in room you cant always get the real idea of whats going on . then bring it to the car system and some sounds are just heard very differently.. Anyway getting off topic..

So Just wanna say Thank you all for really being so cool and helpful throughout my time lurking on the boards.. This is the place i always come to when i have some down time.. Just to see whats going on in the Maxima World.. So if anyone thinks they got some ideas for me and how to make this happen .. All are welcome obviously. and please.. If i sound like im all over the place. dont mind me.. I just got this headunit for free basically from a buddy of mine who i did some computer work for that owns a pawn shop. and happen to have this laying around.. So Hes like here bro.. take it.. It may or may not be like top quality or anything but its def better than what i have now.. So **** Free and i get to upgrade to something usefull why not right..

What kind of a Double Din Installation Kit would i need and also.. What other things will i need. like any harnesses wiring.. and such..

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Thumbnails Double Din with Nav Install Help-main-menu-interface-corolla-dvd-gps-navigation-player-300x300.jpg   Double Din with Nav Install Help-size-information-car-dvd-player-300x300.jpg   Double Din with Nav Install Help-toyota-corolla-dvd-gps-navigation-system-300x199.jpg  

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 09-18-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 PM

You have picked a real project for yourself. Every aspect of installing that unit is going to be a custom, hand made, one of a kind thing.

Is it impossible? No, nothing is impossible. With enough money and resources, you can do it.

Will it be easy? Absolutely not.

Mounting that in the dash will be a small engineering feat. Nissan does not make their radios to the industry standard din or double din dimensions. Nissan radios are bigger. And the way the radio mounts is unique to Nissan and no other manufacturer. That's why you need an adapter kit.

Ditto for Toyota.

And there is no Toyota into Nissan adapter kit.

And then you have the electrical connections. Did you get the connection pigtails for the Toyota radio? Do you have the Toyota wiring diagram for the radio?

Hardly a practical, realistic thing to do. I bet your so-called buddy is still laughing his azz off that he suckered you into taking that radio instead of a cash payment.

And for what its worth - if you replace a Bose head unit with a standard radio and leave the Bose speakers in, you need to use a line level adapter or you will over drive the speakers and blow them out.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Hey bro. Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it a lot. Honestly. He's my boy. And I was going to do the job for him for free anyway. He still gave me some cash And the head unit was just sitting there. So I randomly mentioned the fact I want some new speakers and he said bro I got a double din if you want take it. So. I saw it I was super excited. Now I feel like crying :-(. Cause by what your saying. It's basically. Gonna be such a job and a half and costly. To the point that I could probably just buy a new unit that will be "made" to sit in there better and easier. I mean if its possible to fit in there which when I saw it I'm like damn that **** looks big. And I know my car well and stock head unit and climate control very well from taking It apart in and out 30 times. That I had a feeling there would be issues. And then I looked the unit up and saw it was for Toyota. I'm like ****. I def know this is going to be a problem.

So. Basically your telling me I'm Assed out and shouldn't bother even trying to make this thing work. I mean worse case I can try selling it online. And hopefully get a few bucks for it and use that towards a head unit. Which doesn't have to be a crazy unit like that with all those features although I would love it. But. Alls I'm trying to do is just get me some better sound is all. Stock head unit or not.

Was thinking about just doing speakers and amp But that's pointless and prolly not going to work anyway from what I understand. And besides headunit. Should be first thing to focus on. IMHO. Cause that's the source of it all. So now I just really got sad. It's not your fault or anything I was kinda expecting it.

What to do now !

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 09-18-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

take it to a shop and get a quote on the install and start there. Once you know the damage, you will know if you need a HU or stick to the Bose....
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 AM

I have never heard of koolertron? Just find something from here, but its harness install and be happy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vehicle-Elec...uza222&_sop=16
Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM

That's what it's gonna have to be done is get a quote from a shop and see if it's possible period first. And what it will cost and what I would need to get it installed. Then if I know. I'll just work it out myself or if it's not to costly I'll just pay them to do it.

Money is def a factor. If it wasn't. I would just buy something that would be easier to install with a dd installation kit etc.

crush - I never heard of the brand either. And was looking on the bay believe me to see what I can get. Problem is money. I don't have the money to drop on some gear like I would want. Unless I sell this one on there and use the money to get something else. Even if I get $100-$200 for it which would be lucky. I'll probably end up just getting something single din. But the hail point if I do change my HU I would want the nav. Bluetooth etc. or get a single din. And use some extra cash. To get some speakers. Roughly. What do you think a decent setup could run me total. Harnesses and all that silly **** included

Ball park figure I know it all depends and such.

Anyway. Thanks guys for the responses. I appreciate any and all the help for real
Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM

So. I took my stock head unit out. Only cause I wanted to resolder aux port to board. And figured lemme see if this new unit would fit in there. And took some pictures of what it would look like and how it would fit

It's def really just Slightly a little to big although maybe. Just maybe if I shave off each side it might fit a little better. It will probably protrude out a little bit though. And that's probably not smart if I could sell it and get some money for another unit. We'll see what a shop says. I'm sure they won't want to mess with it. They'll prolly just say nope it won't fit. Buy another one from us that will fit

-edit I'll throw more images up soon as I get to my computer. Cause can't upload multiple image from phone
Attached Thumbnails Double Din with Nav Install Help-image.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 PM

uhhhh that look big bro
Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
uhhhh that look big bro
You think ? Lol. Totally. Like I don't know why I'm so in denial About just saying eff it. Instead of sitting here trying to think of ways to make it for somehow. I'll post up some more photos of what the sides look like and where there's a problem. I mean it's not completely impossible to do. But why go through all the trouble. (Well money I guess. ). Because I don't currently have a few extra hundred bucks to gets me a new one. I need to just get rid of it and sell it and call it a day. Any money I get. Will go towards new gear. I'm just not so happy with the quality I'm getting from my stock HU. Aux port. Volumes lower then the tape player adapter. Which still bugs me out. I can hear it blatantly and SPL meter confirms it. And I've read all bout it. Probably skimmed through a bunch of Threads on it. Dunno if there's anything I can do to fix that. Or using connecting it to cd changer with silent cd (can't remember where the thread was on how to ). all I want is a friggin quality sound. Without no volume peakage distortion. It just annoying.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM

The one photo you posted says everything that needs to be said. It won't fit into the Maxima's dash. I say don't waste any more of your time with this. Post it on Craig's List and get rid of it for a few bucks.

A nav unit from a car audio store is going to cost at least $500. If you can find out what year Toyota that came out of, you might be able to get $150 or more.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The one photo you posted says everything that needs to be said. It won't fit into the Maxima's dash. I say don't waste any more of your time with this. Post it on Craig's List and get rid of it for a few bucks.

A nav unit from a car audio store is going to cost at least $500. If you can find out what year Toyota that came out of, you might be able to get $150 or more.

Yeah that's what I came to conclusion. Pointless to even bother thinking of it or trying to do anything with it. Like you said I'll just toss it on Craigslist or whatever and take it from there. Because I don't want to deal with it. And I prolly won't get a double since it's just crazy expensive. I've seen some on amazon for super cheap like $150. Which is suspect. And prolly crap. I rather get a single that's going to get me better sound then to get some cheap ****. At least the head unit will be something quality to work with or spend the money on something that will be at least useable
Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

That's way over kill, you could install a nice pioneer andhave it sit nice and flushed with a GXE radio trim
Old 09-23-2014, 09:24 PM

ditch this idea....get a decent pioneer/kenwood for 3-400$ when you can afford it.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Hey guys and gals. Thanks for your suggestions. Yah I ditched the project and just going to try and sell it for a few bucks And put it towards another unit.

Got a question which may be off topic but I didn't really want to start a new thread if I didn't have to.

Now If I got some gear. Like a Sub and Amp. Is there a way I can hook em up to my stock Head Unit. For the time being Just cause I feel like my stock sub is kinda dull and seems like it's on it's way out or the amp. Either or. Just figured if I got the gear. Might as we'll use it got the time being. At least I'll have that.

im sure I can find out the answer if I do a search and what not but figured I would ask you guys directly since your familiar with the system and can guide me with a direct answer made specifically for our stuff. Just figured I would at least try to install a sub and AMP so I can enjoy some beats without having to worry about distortion and lowering everything so it won't be. Or at least just some additional thump. Nothing major. Not trying to add a huge box. Maybe just a single bazooka tube or I'll build my own box but just need to know if I can hook it up to the stock headunit. Maybe I need a LOC to do it. And I'll be honest I wasn't to familiar with the LoC before reading about it recently and still even a little confused on what it really does. I get that it hooks up to speaker wire to line out if I'm not mistaken. ? Or i could be confusing it. Anyway sorry if I sound like a dumb freak right now I'm just spitting random nonsense out of my brain skull

I'm basically thinking of just taking the stock sub out also so that if I do hook up an aftermarket sub and amp they won't clash or have some delays. Since signals can differ. That's how it is in audio production in my studio. If I let's say hook up 2 separate sets of monitors different company's. They could have a slight delay and it would sound off or even phase out a little. I'm also aware that the Bose HU and aftermarket gear run at different ohms. Estimated. So would that be an issue ?
Thanks guys for the help In advance. Hopefully I don't get *****d at for not posting it in a new thread. Or whatever

And yes. I totally agree about. Just getting aftermarket headunit. Rather then toying with the stock. But first things first I need to gather up some cash for it. And second I want to choose the right one. (To my liking and preference of course). I'm super picky about my music and sound quality. And It needs to be what I want it to be to a point if I'm going to drop some cash on it. I mean of course thata what we all want. I don't want to just buy something just to buy it. Anyway. That's understood. But just saying UNTIL then ! What can I do. LOc. , PAC audio (Glorified LOC). Or whatever I need to do to get a good signal to the aftermarket sub and amp replacing the stock ones

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 09-24-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Biatchzxz
Now If I got some gear. Like a Sub and Amp. Is there a way I can hook em up to my stock Head Unit. For the time being Just cause I feel like my stock sub is kinda dull and seems like it's on it's way out or the amp. Either or. Just figured if I got the gear. Might as we'll use it got the time being. At least I'll have that.
Yes, it's possible and plenty of people have done it. But the recommendation is still to start with replacing your HU. It will make your OEM system sound BETTER if installed properly. The OEM HU output is very flat and low quality. With a decent source signal, you'll then be able to really tell where you feel your system is lacking, and proceed accordingly. Start with a good foundation.

I won't answer the remainder of your questions because they really are now N/A if you take the above approach. Also your thoughts are all over the place and hard to follow. I recommend reading the "Bose radio replacement thread" (in its entirety) so you understand all the baseline information you need about the system in your car.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Yes, it's possible and plenty of people have done it. But the recommendation is still to start with replacing your HU. It will make your OEM system sound BETTER if installed properly. The OEM HU output is very flat and low quality. With a decent source signal, you'll then be able to really tell where you feel your system is lacking, and proceed accordingly. Start with a good foundation.

I won't answer the remainder of your questions because they really are now N/A if you take the above approach. Also your thoughts are all over the place and hard to follow. I recommend reading the "Bose radio replacement thread" (in its entirety) so you understand all the baseline information you need about the system in your car.

I know dude your right. I wrote the reply. Late and was zombied out from being up all night. The previous night. I re read it I said oh man. I'm gonna sound like a freak to them lol.

But yeah. I like try to avoid the fact that i KNOW that a HU is so key to getting better quality. And I'm dancing around the subject meanwhile I keep telling my self. Why go crazy doing all this other stuff. When the truh is. Without a good source to start with. It won't matter. "Can't polish a turd" right. And yeh I love that Bose thread. Have it bookmarked on my home screen. Anyway lemme try not ramble on for no reason. Thanks man. Now I just have to decide on what type of headunit I should get. without having to drop $400. I'll honest. My budget is limited at the moment so if you have any recommendations on a simple HU. No Nav or anything silly like that. Lemme know
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 AM

My budget is limited at the moment so if you have any recommendations on a simple HU. No Nav or anything silly like that. Lemme know
If you're looking for affordable HU options that have a lot of good features I would recommend any of the following Kenwood and Alpine HU's. These range from $120 -$220 and they all come with free installation gear like the dash kit, Antenna adapter, and wiring harness. They all have 6 channel 4V preamp outputs.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Ihg 2 free nights

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
If you're looking for affordable HU options that have a lot of good features I would recommend any of the following Kenwood and Alpine HU's. These range from $120 -$220 and they all come with free installation gear like the dash kit, Antenna adapter, and wiring harness. They all have 6 channel 4V preamp outputs.

Yeah that's more like it. And the fact that it comes with dash kits and harness and as well as antenna adapter. That right there is def up my alley and what I want. I'm def an Alpine fan. And been seeing a lot of people with Kenwood gear. So that's the way I'm going to go. Thanks so much man. I appreciate the info. At least now I have a route. And I'm going to take it. And they got. 6 chan. W/ 4v preamps is all I need. That's plenty good enough for me to get some quality sound into my face. !
Old 09-26-2014, 11:06 AM

If you ever decide to not get a HU for now and run subs off the stock deck then all you need is a Line Output Converter.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
If you ever decide to not get a HU for now and run subs off the stock deck then all you need is a Line Output Converter.

yeah. I see that. So I've rEad. Not sure how it's going to sound though. Like would it be also to replace stock sub n amp? Or I can't disconnect stock amp cause the speakers use them as well
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Ugh. So now I'm at the point where I'm getting annoyed. I def think my stock sub is shot. Blown. Sounds like doody. And just distorted andrattly. I need to do something ASAP. Just until this headunit is ordered. Because If there one thing I hate is distorted music due to ****ty system/blown speakers. or Like played way above a good dB level. Anyway. So now I have a dillema. Can I tough it out a little while longer (not sure how long ) or do I just do what I can. I also have another head unit I can use. Which is a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT 4.3-Inch In-Dash Navigation Receiver with CD Player and Bluetooth. But it's got 2 pairs of 2V preamps I believe not 4vs. So like prolly not gonna sounds good. I mean even just for the time being until I get the head unit I want. Now if I need to order any additional stuff to get this alpine or Kenwood head unit in Like any harnesses or whatever. So I'm at least prepared. Or does it come with everything I need to get hooked up and installed. Now even if I buy the. New headunit. Will have the issue of low volume and what not with stock speakers n sub?.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:30 PM

When I replaced the stock bose stereo on one of my maximas, My stock bose sub was blown so i got a Pioneer double din. All you do is hook up the remote wire(blue) from the OEM bose to your deck. That will get your door speakers and tweets working strong with theyre amps. As for the sub, I just ran another amp and aftermarket sub. Sounds good because bose still functions
Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Driveguard run flat tires

Originally Posted by svillegas2253
When I replaced the stock Bose stereo on one of my maximas, My stock Bose sub was blown so i got a Pioneer double din. All you do is hook up the remote wire(blue) from the OEM Bose to your deck. That will get your door speakers and tweets working strong with they're amps. As for the sub, I just ran another amp and aftermarket sub. Sounds good because Bose still functions

that sick dude.. Great news.. although I'm a tad confused though on what your saying.. . Your saying that the sub was blown right.. and that you got a new head unit correct? And you hooked it installed. But hooked up the blue remote wire from wheres the wire coming from? and hooking up to the new pioneer deck. going into ? and as far as aftermarket sub and amp. I got that too that i can use.. So i have Pioneer HU, Sub, and Amp that i would like to basically toss in the car. Instead of the Stock Head Unit, Sub, amp.. Is that what you did your saying? cause that would be clutch if you got it to work well with the stock door speakers.. if thats the case.. Im pumped.. What will i need to get to make this work.. what Harness?
My apologies if i am asking questions that have been answered already somewhere else.. Just easier for me to ask here then scroll and search through a bunch of pages. when i can get a direct answer from someone here with the same situation setup as myself.. Im pumped because ill gather all this stuff up and try to get it installed tomorrow.. I mean i dont have a dash kit yet. But if this sounds good at least ill have a temp setup until i splurge for a newer Headunit.. at least this pioneer i have has Nav. and Bluetooth. which is def bettetr thatn what i have now. only thing thats iffy is the 2V preamps
Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 PM

They do come with everything I would need to install it rigt. I wouldn't need to get anything else right? And great they offer free shipping as well. I think I'm going to make an order soon. With this week hopefully
Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

You need 3 things to install.

1. Wiring harness. If you're getting something with 4v preouts or more, you need Metra 70-7551 or generic equivalent. Crutchfield may try to sell you an an LOC, with 70-7550, but trust me...70-7551 is what you need. Insist on it.

2. Dash kit - self explanatory.

3. Radio antenna adapter - also self explanatory.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM

They do come with everything I would need to install it rigt. I wouldn't need to get anything else right? And great they offer free shipping as well. I think I'm going to make an order soon. With this week hopefully
Yes, they do come with everything you'll need (see djfrestyl's lists above). If you want to see what they come with click on one of the stereo links on that comparison page to view the product page. On the product page there's a link that says "Installation gear worth $49.96 - Free." Click on that link to view what installation accessories come with the stereo. As long as you select your car as a 2002 Maxima w/Bose you'll get the 70-7551 wiring harness. If you select without Bose it will give you the 70-7550, which you do not want.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Hey guys. Sorry for bringing this thread up again as I didn't really want to star a new thread unless I might have to.

Ok so I got rid of the headunit. And now. I'm looking to get the new headunit. Now my questions is about speakers

I'm def looking to change out the stock speakers.

But if I buy a new headunit my budget will be shot for a little while so. I'm thinking of getting some aftermarket speakers. Either first or second. Just I have an opportunity to do so now. What do you think. I have a 10 or 12" subwoofer now to use and and amp . Now My question is this. Suggest me.

Get a new unit and use stock speakers. Or get speakers. All around ans get headunit soon.

And. Also any suggestions on some good speakers and what type. Cause I'm not sure anymore if to grr component setup for front. Or stick with 6-1/2 or 6x9 - f. And I'm guessing 6-1/2 for back. And a sub I have for trunk.

Or spend the cash on a new headunit. And use stock speakers. Because i know I'll have to gtr other stuff to make stock speakers work properly. I just wanna make right choice and buy now. Whatever would be less headache is the truth. And I'm a fan of alpine which isn't really nec. Budget but I've seem some combo bundles online for not such and prices. Dunno if there amazing but I'm nt looking to enter any competitions. I just want better quality sound th what I have now. Which actually stock are on the way out for sure I can really here them. I figure a new unit would be a good start right. Or if there is maybe a cheap headunit and just front speaker combo to start I don't mine doing that ans worry abiyt back doors after. If that's possible. Sorry for the questions. Just need to make this choice like today or tomorrow type deal. Please understand I don't have the money to drop on whole setup at the moment otherwise I would believe me. The fact that I gave a Sub which is. Nothing crazy. Xplode 10" 1100w it says. Peak I believe was 300 something I'm 100% sure take a look and post it. And amp I have a couple choices I can take from. My boys shop(pawn shop)to use for now. So any suggestions would be. Great. I already got some great suggestions here so I figured I trust you guys more than most to guide me

I mean I would love to have me some Alpine SPR-60C all around. Alpine all around car. but can't afford me at the moment

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-16-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Your car has a Bose system which makes things a little more difficult. You can't just run aftermarket speakers off the Bose amp due to impedance mismatching. If you try you'll either blow your new speakers or your Bose Amp. Neither would be a favorable outcome. You also can't just throw aftermarket speakers in the doors and easily connect them to your HU since the speaker wiring in your car all leads back to the Bose amp.

I would suggest getting a HU first and keeping the Bose amp/speakers until you have funds to complete the system.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Now that you have ditched the other deck; I would suggest saving enough money to buy speakers and a deck of choice at the same time. Its not hard to bypass the bose amp. You will need to when using an after market deck; and speakers to to the imp.
There will be a notable diff just having 2 ways in the fronts; powered by a decent indash.
Also mentioned before; buy used to make the $budget stretch. I have awesome Focals all around now; both sets bought used.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

exactly that is the dilemma im facing.. as i know i cant use either or with this BS Bose effing setup that they make so annoying.. where there differnt bs ohm setups and amp setups.. Im literally going to post a video of meaning throwing all of that **** in a big *** fire. as im installing the new gear.. cause all ive had is frustrations man.. i remmeber this is why i didnt or couldnt upgrade the whole system a while back is that i would basically have to lay out for a headunit and speakers setup at the same time.. Im going to be Amping the Speakers not using the Bose Amp though.. Im going to be ditching the bose amp and sub and using 2 sepereate amps one for speakers and one for sub.. the amps arent a problem because i have access to a couple used amps i can toss in the car temp. until i get what i want... So basically i shouldnt even bother buying a headunit or speakers period? until i save up for the whole shabang.. Im not really the save up type ill be honest is why. Im triying to buy something now . So that later on when i do get some dough together i can buy the second piece of the puzzle.. Whether ill be able to use them or not . I guess thats another issue. LOCs. Line Levels. whatever the frick
as long i get me a 4v pre.. im happy.. and hopefull some alpine component for front and coax for the backk. Ill be super pumped as far as sub goes the 10 i have now to use.. ill be happy with.. im not into trunk rattling bass. Im into clean Thump.. around 60-100hz thump .. Nothing too Subby where it starts to sound delayed and not inline with the Tracks played.. I hear some systems where it just sounds so off im like bro you really need to check your settings man.. Way to Subby.. And delayed

So.. Im going for a simple Setup as long as my front speakers are clutch im happy.. the rears really dont do **** from what im hearing anyway..

i already have some sound deadening mat ready to be thrown in as well.. So its such a **** tease to not have the proper dough to just buy this ****.. So this is why i was asking what you think i should spring for today .. Head unit or speakers... My Answer i think might just be the Foundation which is the HeadUnit.. Since Building a House without a Foundation is just useless. I was recommended a couple different headunits.. Which basically have what im looking for.. blutetooth for phone.. and audio stream.. and 4v pres.. Thats simple enough ..

Hey . Just to be clear.. the HeadUnit i need would need what to support. 4 speakers and a mono Sub. . Using 1 Amp for Speakers and 1 Amp for Sub.... Im sorry i just fiured. if theres any other options available besides the kenwood and alpine.. i have no problem doing that...

If anyone can maybe give me more ideas of a budget type headunit that has all that i would need. and CD PLAYER I DONT NEED AT ALL

Last edited by Biatchzxz; 10-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Im not really the save up type
If you don't think you'll be able to save up and buy everything at once then buy the HU first. At least you can install that and enjoy it before you ever get any speakers. If you buy speakers first they'll be lying around until you get a HU.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM

On other note; there are infinity speakers i know of that are rated at 1 and 2 ohm. They typically cost more money tho...they should work fine with the bose amp.

Realistically all along this is where you shouldve started and been...happy reading.
https://maxima.org/forums/audio-elec...nt-thread.html
Old 10-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Yeah I'm all over that BOSe thread. I skim thru it sometimes. Haven't really gotten a chance to really go through every page but that's where I get a bunch of info.

So Head Unit it def is then. Speakers will def need to wait. I'm guessing since crutch field basically gives you everything you need free with purchase. That's the way to go. I just not sure if they are including the integration harness I will need to hook it up to stock Bose. I gotta make sure. Might. Just get the kenwood even though I really wanted the alpine headunit I guess it's not that big of a difference really. I liked the tune it app is all
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM

The free installation gear they give you is determined by your car and not by the HU you purchase. You should get the same stuff whether you buy the Kenwood or the Alpine. Just make sure you enter your car as having the Bose system.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM

The free installation gear they give you is determined by your car and not by the HU you purchase. You should get the same stuff whether you buy the Kenwood or the Alpine. Just make sure you enter your car as having the Bose system.

That's what I just saw. Thanks man. I'll def do that I think I'm gknna place the order now. Still killing me on how infant decide between the Kenwood or Alpine man.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598. -$150
vs
Alpine CDE-154BT - $220

I feel like im paying for the name man. Cause that's a big price difference for pretty much the same headunit apart from maybe a few things. Please help me decide. Or if you have any better recommendations. **** lemme know man. Cause I'm so indecisive it's bad dude. I mean to save $50. Is def a plus but to get an alpine unit which I'm a fan of is great. Sound quality to me is worth
More than namebrand. So if anyone can maybe tell me which they think will ultimately be less headache and work better/sound all that silly isht. Then I'll make the choice right now

Thanks guys for being patient with me also
Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM

If money is tight I'd go with the Kenwood. Honestly, I don't think there'd be much of a sound difference between the two at all. They both have 4V preouts and you're sending to an external amp anyways. I'm a big Alpine fan but I have a Kenwood HU currently going to my Bose amp and it sounds great.

And that's $50 towards a pair of speakers.

Last edited by Unclejunebug; 10-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:02 PM

If money is tight I'd go with the Kenwood. Honestly, I don't think there'd be much of a sound difference between the two at all. They both have 4V preouts and you're sending to an external amp anyways. I'm a big Alpine fan but I have a Kenwood HU currently going to my Bose amp and it sounds great.

And that's $50 towards a pair of speakers.

Exactly. Is why I was saying Eff I'll save that cash and get me some alpine speakers snd get my alpine fix there. Cause. There's really nothing so significant different about it besides Eq bands. Look(which I like better) and like other simple stuff. I hear the kenwood has issues seeing in the sunlight or ambient light. I hope that's not true. Screw I'm going for the kenwood. Done deal Im not gonna kill myself thinking about it and plus I find a bunch of coupons saying $20 for new customers so I'll use that tor sure. At least I'll get it for 149.99 - $20. That's 129.99 free shipping.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 AM

So I ordering the headunit as we speak. Ans I got some cash left over. I was wondering. About speakers.

Ho bout maybe some ideas on speaker,setups now. Maybe can order at least fronts. Should I go with components for front? Any specific brands you guy like or use or models that aren't crazy expensive. Since this is my first system upgrade on THIS CAR! I'm not stuck on alpine. So if all opinions and suggestions are totally welcome

Thanks so much
Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i got me some Alpine Type S and they're awesome
Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 PM

no indash double din=no care

Quick Reply: Double Din with Nav Install Help