5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

transmission issue

well heres what is actually happening.... when the car is cranked up for the first time of the day it will run just fine for about 15 to 20 minutes. At that point the trasmission will not shift outta first at all. I have to stop and park it for about 20 to 30 minutes and then it will run again for about another 20 minutes until it gets stuck in first again. it appears to be something with the coolant because i can cool the radiator and transmission lines down and the car will run and shift fine until it heats back up. Now one thing that has changed is before i took the thermostat out, it would run alot longer before the transmission would act up. Took the thermostat out and itt might make it ten minutes before im stuck in first. ive changed the filter and fluid without any success. flushed radiator also. does anyone have any idea what could be going on? would a separate transmission cooler be of any help??
Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by lewismwagner
well heres what is actually happening.... when the car is cranked up for the first time of the day it will run just fine for about 15 to 20 minutes. At that point the trasmission will not shift outta first at all. I have to stop and park it for about 20 to 30 minutes and then it will run again for about another 20 minutes until it gets stuck in first again. it appears to be something with the coolant because i can cool the radiator and transmission lines down and the car will run and shift fine until it heats back up. Now one thing that has changed is before i took the thermostat out, it would run alot longer before the transmission would act up. Took the thermostat out and itt might make it ten minutes before im stuck in first. ive changed the filter and fluid without any success. flushed radiator also. does anyone have any idea what could be going on? would a separate transmission cooler be of any help??
You need to give us a bit more data; also, a bit more coherency would help:
  • How did the problem start?
  • Why and when did you take out the thermostat?
  • When the car gets "stuck in 1st", what temperature does you temperature gauge indicate?
  • Is the CEL light on?
  • Have you checked for any pending codes? What are they?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i installed a seperate transmission oil cooler and it fixed the issue
Old 09-25-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by lewismwagner
i installed a seperate transmission oil cooler and it fixed the issue
Hhmmm ...... .
Most of us only have the OEM AT cooler and our transmissions work just fine. So, if you had to install another cooler there is some underlying problem that you didn't fix. You just worked around it, so that your car is driveable, at least for a while.
I would try to find out what the root problem is. The questions in my earlier message above should help you to find out.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Hhmmm ...... .
Most of us only have the OEM AT cooler and our transmissions work just fine. So, if you had to install another cooler there is some underlying problem that you didn't fix. You just worked around it, so that your car is driveable, at least for a while.
I would try to find out what the root problem is. The questions in my earlier message above should help you to find out.
Yeah there is an underlying problem in my opinion, and it's an under-specced transmission. Mine is wonderful until I take it into the mountains. After half an hour of canyon-climbing it's had it; the engine temp still completely normal but with symptoms very very similar to those quoted by the thread poster.

But it's not realistic to expect this behaviour after just ten minutes
So in the case of the thread poster, I agree that there must be an underlying problem - I'd check for tranny codes esp the valve body.