5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil Level - Too High or Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM

Oil Level - Too High or Too Low

2001 I30 w/ 202k Miles

I did an oil change (WITH oil filter change) and I'm very confused about whether I have too much or too little oil in it. I put 3.5 quarts of oil in and when I check the oil, it kinda looks like its overfilled which I don't think should be possible. Oil appears (lightly I guess) beyond where the fill line in and onto some of the area where the "bumps" are. The dipstick is very strange - I haven't seen one that has these bumps.

Could it really be that my oil is overfilled or am I too underfilled for it to really show up clearly? Its tough with oil (I used Castrol GTX) that isn't really dark. Ideally, I'd put another half+ quart of oil in and see what it looks like and remove if overfilled, but I'd hate to get it jacked back up, and make a mess removing some oil only to have to later put more back in or whatever.

What do you guys think? I manual states 4.25 quarts. Should I put 4 quarts in (an extra half quart) to be safe?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Did you start the car after changing oil???
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Did you start the car after changing oil???

Yes, I've driven about 200 miles since that oil change and checked the oil and it still seems the same way.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kirkhilles
2001 I30 w/ 202k Miles

I did an oil change (WITH oil filter change) and I'm very confused about whether I have too much or too little oil in it. I put 3.5 quarts of oil in and when I check the oil, it kinda looks like its overfilled which I don't think should be possible. Oil appears (lightly I guess) beyond where the fill line in and onto some of the area where the "bumps" are. The dipstick is very strange - I haven't seen one that has these bumps.

Could it really be that my oil is overfilled or am I too underfilled for it to really show up clearly? Its tough with oil (I used Castrol GTX) that isn't really dark. Ideally, I'd put another half+ quart of oil in and see what it looks like and remove if overfilled, but I'd hate to get it jacked back up, and make a mess removing some oil only to have to later put more back in or whatever.

What do you guys think? I manual states 4.25 quarts. Should I put 4 quarts in (an extra half quart) to be safe?
Hi,

Did you look under the car to confirm no oil is leaking out? Did you start and run the engine for a few minutes? Do these first. Then in about 10 minutes after shutting the engine off, check the oil again. Then, if need be (probably yes) add a bit more oil to get the level into the crosshatch mark.

Cheers,
Glenn

Edit: Oops, I see my reply is late. The longer you wait after shutting off the engine before checking the oil, the easier to see the actual level on the dipstick - like less oil is getting picked up by the "bumps". You're absolutely sure 3.5 qts went in and not 4.5 qts? I know, it's a long shot, but the extra quart would give the level you described.

Last edited by slovcan; 09-29-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by slovcan
Hi,

Did you look under the car to confirm no oil is leaking out? Did you start and run the engine for a few minutes? Do these first. Then in about 10 minutes after shutting the engine off, check the oil again. Then, if need be (probably yes) add a bit more oil to get the level into the crosshatch mark.

Cheers,
Glenn

Edit: Oops, I see my reply is late. The longer you wait after shutting off the engine before checking the oil, the easier to see the actual level on the dipstick - like less oil is getting picked up by the "bumps". You're absolutely sure 3.5 qts went in and not 4.5 qts? I know, it's a long shot, but the extra quart would give the level you described.

Thanks, I had purchased a 5 quart jug and it looks like there is 1.5 quarts left based on the level on the container , so I'm presuming I used 3.5 quarts.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:22 AM

3.5 quarts is not enough. You should put 4.25 quarts.
Park you car on flat surface and leave it for an hour or two. Then check the oil. Are you sure you drained all of the oil from the oil pan?

Last edited by tosheto; 09-29-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 PM

2001 I30 w/ 202k Miles

Oil appears (lightly I guess) beyond where the fill line in and onto some of the area where the "bumps" are. The dipstick is very strange - I haven't seen one that has these bumps. Could it really be that my oil is overfilled or am I too underfilled for it to really show up clearly?
Hi kirk. I have a 2000 I30 with about the same mileage. I had wondered about the oil level on that odd dipstick myself several times. I usually pull it out and use a rag to wipe the entire metal part of the stick off, then I reinsert it and pull it right out. I can usually get a good read on the oil level this way.

The FSM for that model states 4 quarts (if you change the oil and the filter) and 3.7 quarts (if you just change the oil).
Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to try adding another half quart tonight which it sounds like it needs either way. Maybe the level will be more obvious then.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM

oil level

Nissan maintenance manual : Start and warm the engine then turn off the ignition. Wait 10 -15 minutes, then pull out the dip stick and check the oil level (hot side of dip stick). VQ35DE has oil capacity of 4.25 quarts. Whenever you pour oil on the engine, it will drip down directly where the dipstick tip is located so it looks overfilled.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:16 PM

The dipstick on these cars are so stupid it should be called dip sh8
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 AM

An update: I added another half quart or so and I believe that the level raised up the dipstick. It really is tough to tell because there is always some oil around the other edges. I'm not sure why it has to be so complicated.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

take the dipstick out, clean it, put it back and recheck... the oil should be all the way to the High " I think is says" line. Always add no less than 4 qtrs,