5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Click Click Boom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Click Click Boom?

Hey guys and gals New here this is my first post so be gentle if I ramble or repeat myself forgive me. I have a 2001 Maxima 20th anniversary SE model with a 5 speed and 186000 miles, the problem is in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear it makes a clicking sound very loud there is no vibration or any loss of power in 4th and 5th there is no sound. The cv axles are good and it is rpm relevant. It is not a motor problem and it will still beat a Mustang off the line. Has anyone on this forum experienced this problem or any suggestions with what it could be before I take it to a transmission shop my mechanical skills are average to moderate but this is my only car at the moment. Also do I have to remove the intake to replace the spark plugs on the backside of the motor
Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to post an intro about yourself (or your car really) in the new members thread if you want to..

Where is this clicking sound coming from? I'm assuming it's coming from the axles somewhere...

Check your drive shaft splines, I'm guessing at least one side is messed up and just skipping a tooth or two when car shifts. This is actually a common thing with many Infiniti RWD drive shafts that I've seen, not really on a 5th gen Maxi but who knows

That's my best guess at this point.

For spark plugs you don't need to remove intake at all, or almost anything else on our motors for that matter. You'll need to remove a couple (two or three) metal brackets that hold some wiring, and besides that move the throttle cable away from cyl#5 (top right, closest to TB) because it will be in the way and make sure not to mess with it or it can cause you bad idle and other problems.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Saliva.
My job here is done.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Saliva.
My job here is done.
Thank you sir. Good to hear that from an OG of the ORG such as yourself.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to post an intro about yourself (or your car really) in the new members thread if you want to..

Where is this clicking sound coming from? I'm assuming it's coming from the axles somewhere...

Check your drive shaft splines, I'm guessing at least one side is messed up and just skipping a tooth or two when car shifts. This is actually a common thing with many Infiniti RWD drive shafts that I've seen, not really on a 5th gen Maxi but who knows

That's my best guess at this point.

For spark plugs you don't need to remove intake at all, or almost anything else on our motors for that matter. You'll need to remove a couple (two or three) metal brackets that hold some wiring, and besides that move the throttle cable away from cyl#5 (top right, closest to TB) because it will be in the way and make sure not to mess with it or it can cause you bad idle and other problems.

As far as I can tell it is coming from the drivers side. It only does it while under load and as soon as you take your foot off the gas it will stop. the faster you go the louder it is. I would think there would be so sort of vibration or something if it was missing a spline or 2 kinda like my 4x4 when I twisted the stock axle shaft
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I took it to a transmission shop a few days back and the said it sounds like a bad bearing in the transmission but the fluid was clean with no metal flakes or shavings and everything else was tight. I asked him how much does he usually charge for a rebuild he said without checking exact prices on parts he said that import 5 speeds usually run $1200 to $1500 is that high or about average
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by 1stTymer
So I took it to a transmission shop a few days back and the said it sounds like a bad bearing in the transmission but the fluid was clean with no metal flakes or shavings and everything else was tight. I asked him how much does he usually charge for a rebuild he said without checking exact prices on parts he said that import 5 speeds usually run $1200 to $1500 is that high or about average
Is this guy a professional scam artist? It costs more to rebuild a manual than an automatic
What's he going to replace, everything? What a douche bag.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Is this guy a professional scam artist? It costs more to rebuild a manual than an automatic
What's he going to replace, everything? What a douche bag.
I knew it was high it was a professional shop that is used for all transmission work needing to be done by the shop my nephew works at so I knew it was going to be uncomfortable on my rear lol the guy I bought the car from recommend a shop that he gets all his work done at and he said it should not be more than $800 at the most. While the transmission was out I was going to go ahead and replace the clutch and hoses for piece of mind since I know nothing about the history of this car. I could do the hoses and clutch myself but no time. I have a suzuki samurai that I have been working on but it is on the back burner