5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NWP Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 PM

NWP Upgrades

Hey all, I have a VQ35 and I was wondering if the NWP upgrades are worth it and if the horsepower gains are noticeable? I am thinking about installing the 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body Kit and the Phenolic Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer Kit. I am looking for lower end to middle horsepower upgrades as I don't normally go above 5,000 rpm. And are they fairly easy to install? I change my own oil, filters, coolant and wheels, but I've never done anything to my engine and I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough too. I was planning on doing these upgrades when I do my spark plugs (96k miles and spark plugs haven't been done yet).
Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Those are easy upgrades. Just a couple bolts and maybe moving your throttle cable(s) for a moment. I'm not too familiar with the VQ35 though
Old 11-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From the reviews, they seem to be great. I am getting mine done in Spring. The guys on the 350z forums like the TB! I can't wait to install mine!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have NWP's 4th gen products, an I love the add performance. Ive installed the 3.5 IM spacers on a 5.5 gen couple years back too. Easy install, just go light on the rtv lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 AM

I have BOP, spacers and 75mm TB. I'd recommend them all
Old 11-21-2014, 04:55 AM

I like even on a auto but I think these mods push power band up no?

But who cares, FWD sucks anyhow if you are power hungry

Last edited by george__; 11-21-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 AM

NWP mods are good. I would recommend them.

But not sure of the point on an otherwise completely stock car. I feel like the NWP mods are great to compliment some other mods with, like if you at least have intake/exhaust done.

Because power gain wise, you'd be way better off getting a Ypipe/intake/exhaust first before the NWP stuff. The bigger TB wont do much good, other than some slightly better throttle response. Thermal spacers will help but not gonna do much on a stock motor....

And the NWP stuff isn't cheap. If these are your first mods, I would suggest doing something else first. NWP stuff should wait until you at least have the basics done IMO.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Yeah, I do plan on doing my exhaust in the future, but I'm having a hard time finding headers, so do you have links to any good ones? Plus I was just planning on doing the nwp stuff, because I'll have my intake manifold taken off in a few months to do my spark plugs.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 AM

NWP is all good and pretty easy to install considering this site exists and he has very detailed instructions with photos on his site and provided with the items you buy.

Stillwell kinda knows what he's saying, but not really..nwp will show gains without any other modifications IMHO.
A bigger gain to be had with bigger exhaust, etcetera? Sure, but not necessary to see some gains.

Just make sure not to get the block off plate if you want that low end torque not to suffer.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 AM

^ Never said it wouldn't show some gains.

Just saying that IMO you would get the full benefit of the nwp mods and their full gains when u do intake/exhaust as well.

Whereas other mods such as Ypipe is comparable in price and gives a much bigger gain right away that you can really feel. It's just sum to think about, which one makes more sense for first mods to you.

Since op is doing plugs thats def. a good time to do the spacers at same time on the 3.5, I will say that..
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM

What about the 17* advance timing?

Replace valve cover in the rear
Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM

i had a completely stock engine and did the NWP 3PC spacers and noticed a very very nice improvement throughout the low to mid range powerband so I would say the spacers are definately worth it regardless of other power mods(i can't imagine if I got to install the 5 pc that I ordered [mechanic didnt wanna do the 2 LIM spacers that day]).

now the throttle body kit, yes I feel (and agree) that really needs other upgrades for it to be truly worth it.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Hey, you guys were all super helpful! I think I'll skip the throttle body for now and just do the 5 piece spacer kit when I do my plugs. I'll probably do my plugs sometime in the next few months, so I'll let you guys know how the spacers fare.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by IsaacFall
Hey, you guys were all super helpful! I think I'll skip the throttle body for now and just do the 5 piece spacer kit when I do my plugs. I'll probably do my plugs sometime in the next few months, so I'll let you guys know how the spacers fare.
Do the gen 6 valve cover fix too!!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 PM

^he's right..you're probably due for a new valve cover and the 6th gen design is not only cheaper, but superior.
Comes with a PCV too.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 AM

So, do you think I'll find oil in one or some of the spark plug sockets? Also, will the 6th gen valve cover fit the 5.5 gen? And should I replace both of the valve covers?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 AM

So, do you think I'll find oil in one or some of the spark plug sockets? Also, will the 6th gen valve cover fit the 5.5 gen? And should I replace both of the valve covers?
It is the rear not the front that's supposedly the issue.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 AM

Valve cover

They are the same the difference, the 6th gen valve cover is $30.00 while the 5th is around $200.00. Check the sparkplug for oil , common site is sparklug #5 (rear valve cover) sparkplug 2 & 6 (front valve cover)

If you want some horsepower
Install this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JWT-JIM-WOLF...item2c61c15151
Or cheaper way convert your OEM airbox to ghetto airbox. Drill 4 holes one inch diameter on the top of the air filter holder. Use K&N filter
NWP vias block plate
http://www.nwpengineering.com/images...asic%20Kit.JPG

Last edited by colt149; 11-22-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:58 PM

@Fakie was saying not to get the nwp blocking plate because it causes low end torque to suffer. So I think I'll stay away from that. And I've thought about getting a cold air intake, but I've read articles saying that it doesn't filter contaminates as well, so they could get into your engine and ruin it.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM

@Fakie was saying not to get the nwp blocking plate because it causes low end torque to suffer. So I think I'll stay away from that. And I've thought about getting a cold air intake, but I've read articles saying that it doesn't filter contaminates as well, so they could get into your engine and ruin it.
All these mods will push power band up a bit. Look at the dyno section
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM

you are correct, and if u are being practical i recommend just keep the stock airbox or do GAB to the stock airbox.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 PM

Anybody hear ever installed the NWP 5 piece spacer kit? I am having the most ridiculous time removing the bottom two bolts on the bracket that holds the upper intake manifold in place because I stripped them completely. Does the bracket even need to be removed? I even bough some damaged bolt sockets to try on the bolts and those didn't work either. So what can I do? I messaged Aaron from NWP yesterday, but he still hasn't responded.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Hey all, I have a VQ35 and I was wondering if the NWP upgrades are worth it and if the horsepower gains are noticeable? I am thinking about installing the 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body Kit and the Phenolic Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer Kit. I am looking for lower end to middle horsepower upgrades as I don't normally go above 5,000 rpm. And are they fairly easy to install? I change my own oil, filters, coolant and wheels, but I've never done anything to my engine and I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough too. I was planning on doing these upgrades when I do my spark plugs (96k miles and spark plugs haven't been done yet).
I installed the 5 piece thermal spacer kit and it's gains are for real and felt in the rear pants as well! the upgrade to the 75mm TB is next on my list as well as a 3" metallic Substrate WS cat....
Old 11-30-2014, 07:34 PM

Nice. What I was wondering is if I have to remove the bracket that holds the upper intake manifold, and if so, how would I remove the stripped bolts?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 PM

Nice. What I was wondering is if I have to remove the bracket that holds the upper intake manifold, and if so, how would I remove the stripped bolts?
If the bolts are stripped bad the best I could recommend to get clearance for the spacers would be to shave off as much as possible.
Probably easier than trying to chop the heads off the bolts.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
If the bolts are stripped bad the best I could recommend to get clearance for the spacers would be to shave off as much as possible.
Probably easier than trying to chop the heads off the bolts.
Which bolts are stripped bad? The Spacer kit bolts or the manifold female threads? The kit comes with new bolts which are longer...If the female threads are stripped in the LM then you'll need to helicoil them!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Which bolts are stripped bad? The Spacer kit bolts or the manifold female threads? The kit comes with new bolts which are longer...If the female threads are stripped in the LM then you'll need to helicoil them!
I believe he's talking about the bracket that helps secure the UIM near the firewall.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's the UIM support bracket. I might have to have a mechanic come to my house to drill the bolts out, if that would even be possible. I'm not sure if there's enough room down there to drill any bolts out.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Yeah, it's the UIM support bracket. I might have to have a mechanic come to my house to drill the bolts out, if that would even be possible. I'm not sure if there's enough room down there to drill any bolts out.
Thus why I was saying just shave it for clearance.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I believe he's talking about the bracket that helps secure the UIM near the firewall.
My bad, I read it too and still responded wrong...My bad guys....
Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
My bad, I read it too and still responded wrong...My bad guys....
All is forgiven.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I've been talking with Aaron from NWP and he told me to try using PB blaster on the bolts and hammering a bolt out socket on the bolts and I tried all of that except for the hammer part (can't fit hammer down there) and it didn't work at all. I'm definitely going to have to cut the top inch or so of the bracket off. Would just a regular metal hand saw work on the bracket?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I've been talking with Aaron from NWP and he told me to try using PB blaster on the bolts and hammering a bolt out socket on the bolts and I tried all of that except for the hammer part (can't fit hammer down there) and it didn't work at all. I'm definitely going to have to cut the top inch or so of the bracket off. Would just a regular metal hand saw work on the bracket?
Longnose vice grips perhaps? Or regular vice grips for that matter,hopefully you don't have to hoist the engine and remove the engine mounts to tilt it just enough to get room
Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Little update, I decided to go in with a hacksaw and saw about an inch and a half off. It gave me plenty of clearance. I've got everything back together now and all bolted on. Probably gonna let it set for a day or so before I start it up. Hopefully I did everything right and won't have any problems!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 PM

That's great news!
As long as you had the surfaces all clean and didn't use too much RTV, I'm sure you're fine.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I cleaned the surfaces really well. My only worry is that I didn't use enough rtv. I used a paper thin layer like what it says in the directions, but it just doesn't seem like that much.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I cleaned the surfaces really well. My only worry is that I didn't use enough rtv. I used a paper thin layer like what it says in the directions, but it just doesn't seem like that much.
Don't overdo it with the RTV, it'll be impossible to remove the part after.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 AM

I would suggest not using RTV at all!!!! The better option is copper gasket spray...it worked perfect!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Hey, quick question everybody. So I'll be starting my car up tomorrow for the first time since I installed the NWP 5 piece phenolic spacer kit, 6th gen valve covers and gaskets, and spark plugs and I was wondering how long I should let it idle? Also what I should look/listen for while it's idling? Should I drive it around for a while and floor it a couple times?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM

First off you're going to have to do one, if not all of the relearns it demonstrated on the instructions. I know I had to do idle relearns and the throttle body relearn because I started it up and everything was out of wack.

Also, I had a small amount of smoke/steam coming from the engine upon the first drive after install. I'm convinced it was the excess RTV burning off but I guess I'll never know. The smoke went away after 10 minutes and it's never been back. I've had them installed for about 7 months now and they are wonderful. Everyone thinks my car is turbo'd because of the hissing sound they cause.

Quick Reply: NWP Upgrades