5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem....with Starting ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:03 AM
acw

Problem....with Starting ?

Hey Buds,

(really enjoying the forum here....sounds like a great bunch of guys who are into Nissan Cars!....appreciate the help and input).

ANYWAY, last night my "03 i35 (WHICH i believe is the same motor and setup as the 5th gen Max) would not turn over. (weird). The battery was fine...as the radio and lights worked...BUT the thing wouldn't start.

After a few turns on the key, it turned over...no problem. Today, it did the same thing...(chit).

I don't want to get stuck in some back neighborhood....stalled out waiting for a tow.....Anyone know what this could be?

(i figure starter is going or some kinda switch or connection is going bad)

Thanks for any constructive input...!

~T
Old 12-07-2014, 08:02 AM

Alternator
Ground cables
Starter
Battery
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Had a similar problem about a year ago. When I turned the key, nothing would happen. All interior lights would come on as they should without any dimming....just a single click, and I could hear the fuel pump engaging.

I tried the "tap on the starter trick" and she would start right up! So luckily I didn't get stranded at work that day Long story short, changed out the starter with a refurbished one, and the problem came back a week later...did some research on the forum, and bought a brand new starter, and I haven't had the problem since. Here's a video of what I had going on, hope it helps:

http://youtu.be/BnexFLQIvSc
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

sounds like a starter....
Old 12-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Try putting it in neutral. I found that sometimes the park sensor isnt fully depressed and it thinks the car is in reverse so it wont start. I have to grease the cable when i get a chance. Could be that simple.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:48 PM

The ignition switch is another possibility. When the engine doesn't crank, do you hear a loud click coming from the starter? If you don't, it could be the ignition switch, the park/neutral safety switch (post above).

Read this thread on troubleshooting:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html

Do you have a voltmeter? Doing some troubleshooting could save you from buying the wrong part.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM
acw

Thanks Buds....

I wonder if i can test the starter at Advanced Auto ?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Starter removal (EASY)

Name:  e8wbOZql.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  40.0 KB

Last edited by george__; 12-07-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by acw
Thanks Buds....

I wonder if i can test the starter at Advanced Auto ?
You could ask them but >90% it's your starter, given the age of the car. You're lucky it let you start it again, in some cases it won't. You heard the click when it didn't start, did you? BTW, do yourself a favor and NOT buy refurbished part from one of the chain stores or you'll be changing it again very soon. I know, it's expensive part but it is easy to replace yourself.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 AM
acw

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
You could ask them but >90% it's your starter, given the age of the car. You're lucky it let you start it again, in some cases it won't. You heard the click when it didn't start, did you? BTW, do yourself a favor and NOT buy refurbished part from one of the chain stores or you'll be changing it again very soon. I know, it's expensive part but it is easy to replace yourself.
Thanks Max....Yesterday i was about 75mies from home...and it started a few times NO PROBLEM. BUT at one point..it didnt' start RIGHT AWAY (f~*k) ....and i was very concerned because i was a long way from Flockin home! BUT after a few turns of the key, it cranked. (thank Jesus).

The lights go on...the radio works fine...but it sometimes (over the past few days) its has been having this issue....OF NOT TURNING over right away. I don't know...maybe its the ignition switch?

...hmmm (wtf) ?

I don't recall hearing a click though....i will check again today AND LISTEN for a clicking sound. Thank God i am home. Yesterday was too far for comfort...

Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 AM

You can fix that starter up on a weekend .

Open the hood and get to work... The only problem I had was that really long bolt
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
acw

Yep...its the starter. Went to the ADvanced and BY CHANCE, the car wouldn't start...and THEN i heard "the dreaded CLICK!" (*%^#!).

Looks a little involved for a beginner like me. My mechanic will charge me $75....plus the part (looks like $99). Chit...(so about $175).

This video took about 17mins (*and its cut). So...the job looks like "AT LEAST 1.5 hr job" FOR A beginner. Plus the stress involved.

STARTER CHANGE VIDEO

What do you think?

ALSO,...why is THIS PART so much cheaper online? (looks like $50-$100 less THAN dealers cost at Pep Boys/Advance)?

Last edited by acw; 12-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 AM

^
It isn't that hard to do..

Also don't get a refurbished starter, POS
Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 AM
acw

Originally Posted by george__
^
It isn't that hard to do..

Also don't get a refurbished starter, POS
Hey George...
Both Refurb and New both have LIFETIME warranties.

Are the Refurb that bad ?

BTW, that one listed on Ebay is NEW!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
Can't agree more with Max. Our Maxima does have problem with its starter, need to be replaced at this age. 3rd-party aftermarket starters suck, absolutely no no from Amazon, I have already changed 2 starters each one last a year. For cheap ones, maybe car graveyard is a good place to go looking for an original but relatively young one. Good luck Pal.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by acw
Hey George...
Both Refurb and New both have LIFETIME warranties.

Are the Refurb that bad ?

BTW, that one listed on Ebay is NEW!
You maybe get lucky but I doubt it.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
acw

Originally Posted by george__
You maybe get lucky but I doubt it.
No Chit...

hmmm...Even though there is a lifetime warranty on both?
I would think they are the same guts (new)?

(maybe i better go take a look at them).
Pep boys...(my mechanic says he likes them better than advanced auto, for some reason). Anyway Pep boys sell them both. 1 for $99, lifetime and the other is $125 lifetime.

Last edited by acw; 12-08-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by acw

No Chit...

Pep boys...(my mechanic says he likes them better than advanced auto, for some reason). Anyway Pep boys sell them both. 1 for $99, lifetime and the other is $125 lifetime.
Your choice just remember when you want them to own up to the warranty who's closer to you in a time constraint situation the parts store or ebay...?gl
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM

How long does the mechanic guarantee the work?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by acw
No Chit...

They could be all crap, at least mine was. Due to time constraints I had to buy one of those at $250 just to replace it 1 year later. Luckily it died on my driveway and at that point I quickly decided to forgo lifetime warranty and shell out another $350 to the dealer for OEM one as each occurrence would cost me >$100 in towing charges plus all the surrounding troubles. I opened both starters and the difference in quality easily explained why it didn't last- solenoid contacts were made out of alloy which oxidizes easily so I was actually surprised how it made through whole year. OEM one looked much better and was still running fine 4 years later when I sold the car.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:51 PM

I don't get why these Nissan cars are so darn picky with parts... I threw in the cheapest crap possible in my previous Toyota and drove it up to 400k no problem ><
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 AM
acw

Woa...

After careful consideration, i decided to go with the NEW ONE at Pep Boys (my local shop). Its more $, BUT, that IF that Frikin starter doesn't work while i'm 100 mils away from home...i'm gonna be pissed OFF !

Here is the one that i was looking at that CLAIMS to be NEW ?
When i called to ask who the manufacture was, the dude said "he didn't know (huh???).
*They choose (at the time of order) who has the part (probably drop ship the item)" It comes ONLY with a 1 yr replacement ? ? ?

Well...if they had any confidence, they would give it a lifetime---DON'T YOU THINK??? Yep...seems like its new (so they claim) BUT they only come with 1 yr "replacement." WHICH MEANS, i have to take the MF off, then ship it back, wait for a new one, and then put that one back on.

Flock that....i'm goin with a local BIG PARTS store. This way, if there is a problem (lifetime), i get a new one.

thanks for helping me make my decision Buds !

Last edited by acw; 12-09-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Cool now get on with it already Good luck, I was a little nervous about changing it by myself, but it's pretty straight forward if you have the right tools....nothing like fixing your own stuff, you save tons of money!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM
acw

Thanks Buds....fixed that issue.

Now, on to the next....LOL. (this is what happens when you purchase a neglected car).

Oh well....got it for a good price.