5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM

The thing about Maximas starting from 3rd gen is they're quite functional cars: what new car features besides the smell and social status are you missing in 5 gen Maxima? So if the body is in good shape and you like the car I don't see too many compelling reasons to 'upgrade' as I personally won't get anything out of it besides smell. The financial drawbacks are obvious so buying new car is waste of money for me .
Old 01-15-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
The thing about Maximas starting from 3rd gen is they're quite functional cars: what new car features besides the smell and social status are you missing in 5 gen Maxima? .
Driving dynamics
Fuel economy
More power options
More electronic features

etc
Old 01-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Driving dynamics
happy here- it's good enough for me and for the normal street driving

Fuel economy
Could've been better but it usually comes at the expense of the previous item

More power options
not clear what you mean here- Maxima already has everything 'power': locks, windows, mirrors. If you meant different powertrain options than again, I'm happy with what i have

More electronic features
I found that these features are grossly overpriced when they're coming from car manufacturer (Nissan included) so if I really want something I'd just buy aftermarket. For the price difference with new car you can build spaceship cocpit if you like .

etc
I'm happy with those too . As I said- it's well balanced car, not easy to beat if you're not after something in particular.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM

UPDATE:

Key fob ordered for $17.00. Programmed in 5 minutes. Freaking love the freedom I was living without before all those years..LOL. Walk in from the gas pump....button push....walk back button push......back seat? Two button pushes. Welcome to the millenium...ha.

Warpspeed Y pipe has been ordered. Wheel spacers to knock the rear wheels outward....ordered. Im exited. Im going to wait till these current tires go bald...when its time for new tires and alignment, I will make the call on coilovers. If im still running strong as ever I will pull the trigger. The feeling after new motor mounts was phenominal...I cant imagine what coilovers is gonna feel like. Probably a new car!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 PM

^
Congrats
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
UPDATE:

Key fob ordered for $17.00. Programmed in 5 minutes. Freaking love the freedom I was living without before all those years..LOL. Walk in from the gas pump....button push....walk back button push......back seat? Two button pushes. Welcome to the millenium...ha.

Warpspeed Y pipe has been ordered. Wheel spacers to knock the rear wheels outward....ordered. Im exited. Im going to wait till these current tires go bald...when its time for new tires and alignment, I will make the call on coilovers. If im still running strong as ever I will pull the trigger. The feeling after new motor mounts was phenominal...I cant imagine what coilovers is gonna feel like. Probably a new car!
nice.....

on the engine mounts...

I drove my car around for over a year with blown struts simply replacing with used ones ,until i found this site and djfrestyl's thread....and threw on the kyb struts....(too bad i didn't buy the lowering spring ) but coilovers!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:05 PM

Way to be man. I always think it's great to see people putting a little love into their cars. When you replaced your engine mounts, what lead you to believe that they needed replacing? I'm looking into that myself, and I'm wondering how it helped afterwards for you too.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM

The main thing was that my engine/transmission was really noisy. To the point where I was worried I would need a transmission rebuild. Also when I'd come to a stop, sometimes my engine would clunk. Between my mechanics opinion and what I read on forums, I narrowed it down to engine and transmission mounts. I went with manual mounts even though I have an auto. Bit more vibration but more solid sporty feel. The biggest effect was that my transmission was quiet and like new again. From what I understand, it actually effects your drive shaft alignment and other serious stuff...

Last edited by 2kMaxim; 01-20-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM

Gotcha. My engine is pretty noisy currently, but I'm pretty positive it's a crank pulley rubbing itself apart. Once I get that replaced I'll see if all the noise goes away.

Better burn some rubber so you can get on with a coil-over purchase
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM

Meh, I welcome the down time...it's gonna be a G with install. Gotta think about that kind of purchase for a bit before acting.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 PM

I did the whole rationalizing thing with prices and mods, versus age and condition. Obviously I leaned towards the long term with the car. I know you already made a decision, but I'd also say to keep it. With all else good, I almost dumped mine just because it was auto, but where there's a will, there's a way. Giving your car some attention will only make you appreciate it more. Showing off is also very fun. Also, with an older car, there is very little risk. Like some others said, new parts are generally cheaper, and the car is much easier for DIY work.

Enjoy the new work and changes!
Also, if you really have guts, definitely look into a valve body mod.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:38 AM

For what it's worth, My wife's 2000 GLE is closing in on 270,000 miles with the engine and auto both running fine. I just replaced most of the wear items in the front end (motor mounts, strut mounts, tie rod ends, ball joints etc...) and the car drives great now.

My modded 2002 SE just rolled 200,000 miles and is still going strong.

If it still puts a smile on your face, keep it. If it breaks, fix it. Set a little aside every month just in case it totally craps the bed. A few months of putting away a car payment will pay for a major repair or make a nice down payment.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
For what it's worth, My wife's 2000 GLE is closing in on 270,000 miles with the engine and auto both running fine. I just replaced most of the wear items in the front end (motor mounts, strut mounts, tie rod ends, ball joints etc...) and the car drives great now.

My modded 2002 SE just rolled 200,000 miles and is still going strong.

If it still puts a smile on your face, keep it. If it breaks, fix it. Set a little aside every month just in case it totally craps the bed. A few months of putting away a car payment will pay for a major repair or make a nice down payment.
Exactly. If I can get another 70k out of the car that's at least 3+ years. I sold a car once well before I should have....never again. People are pissing away money on this new car every three years mentality...it's crazy. As Dave Ramsey says...buy reliable used and drive it into the dirt.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Surprised there was any question to the longevity.....this guy sold his (still running fine) @ 430,000 miles;

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-gen-fold.html
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Surprised there was any question to the longevity.....this guy sold his (still running fine) @ 430,000 miles;

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-gen-fold.html
I was a Lexus guy 7-8 years ago when I had a modded IS300 5-speed...so I love reading mileage like that And people pretend that new is the only way. I love doing research on old gems and buying them and seeing how long they'll run. My VFR750 is one of those deals, but in the motorcycle world. Im sure if I was wealthy I wouldnt give two *****...but alas I am middle class

I will say this....its because i am a motor head that this car has been so reliable. If I was a soccer mom...that year when i had coils and catalytic converter go bad would have made me hate the car and think it was a lemon. Maximas get a bad name with some people because they dont know squat about cars

Those inquiring about how the body condition was...
Name:  1546365_10152173146636240_1666915681_n.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  54.4 KB

Last edited by 2kMaxim; 01-21-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:38 PM

Your car looks great, and since you're a motörhead, your engine will probably see 400k easy, if not more. Just gotta watch out for body rust.

I solved that issue with my car by getting a winter beater civic hatchback.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 PM

^
Maxima should be the beater... The modding potential of a Civic is far superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVIMN54TbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29f4CJyIFxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrUKjdhPU80

Last edited by george__; 01-21-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 AM

Well, while that's actually true...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Problem is...at the end of the day.....it's still just a civic that you sunk way too much into. That much money and time are better spent with a solid rwd platform. Lol
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Problem is...at the end of the day.....it's still just a civic that you sunk way too much into. That much money and time are better spent with a solid rwd platform. Lol
Civics can be pretty damn fast if done right. I've seen quite a few. Problem is, a Civic will always carry the stigma of being THE ricer choice, boy racer choice, cheap POS with huge aftermarket support.

Building a fast Civic is not hard nor very expensive tho.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Don't underestimate the Civic or the CRX!!

Last edited by george__; 01-22-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM

Oh trust me, I don't underestimate anything. I've hung with plenty of new "muscle cars" on the highway...I know it's about physics and not much else.....I know it sounds lame....but id rather supercharge a miata or an s2000 to get the true sports car feel. Sure a civic can be done but it's meant to be an economy car. With a transmission swap and some internals....a Nissan de-k engine with forced induction is a sick beast.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Oh trust me, I don't underestimate anything. I've hung with plenty of new "muscle cars" on the highway...I know it's about physics and not much else.....I know it sounds lame....but id rather supercharge a miata or an s2000 to get the true sports car feel. Sure a civic can be done but it's meant to be an economy car. With a transmission swap and some internals....a Nissan de-k engine with forced induction is a sick beast.
Okay we derailed thread too much
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Civics always derail threads...lol
Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Civics always derail threads...lol
Next one to mention a Civic on a good manner in the 5gen section should be
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo

Next one to mention a Civic on a good manner in the 5gen section should be
Alright then, **** this. Civic bashing time!

I just smoked a hooked up civic hatch tonight. Dude even torque braked and launched on me, his bumper was ahead for about a few seconds and then I jumped forward by a car just from the 1-2 shift lol

The rest was self explanatory. And I didnt launch at all, I made dude mad because once I was rolling with him he was flooring it WOT and I purposely stayed right next to him at like half throttle and dude could not move on me. Once he realized that I wasn't flooring it, he backed off. Love those
Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM

^
You're old enough to know not to bother racing Civics!!!!!

I did see a Honda Accord v6 coupe today on my way home. Niceee
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 PM

^
You're old enough to know not to bother racing Civics!!!!!

lol

It wasn't a race. Dude revved up his engine and was grilling me, then he launched from the light when it turned green. I simply made him understand that his Civic was weak, not much of a race there really.

But speaking of an Accord V6 coupe, my neighbors buddy has one and sometimes I run into him on rocky road (middle of nowhere private road, not public highway). Me and him always go at it for fun a bit. Those are quite nice cars for sure, and quick too. I always end up behind him from a dig, but from a roll its even up to about 70mph. Then my car starts really going wild past 70mph and Im slowly pulling away, IDK what it is but mid and top end on vq30dek is just filthy (in a good way).
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 PM

^
I see one like everyday, (somewhat) hot 30 something year old female coworker owns one. How she operates a manual car with her shoes I will never know
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 PM

^
I see one like everyday, (somewhat) hot 30 something year old female coworker owns one. How she operates a manual car with her shoes I will never know
You know the drill george_ pics or it didn't happens
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 PM

the wife owns a 6 speed. doesn't let me drive it very often but i don't really mind. tons of blind spots on that thing
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo

You know the drill george_ pics or it didn't happens
I havent seen a MT one in ages. Neighbors friend tried to tell me he has paddle shifters and it was manual.

I said "but you have no cluth?" He said yes, and then he agreed with me that he has an automatic lol

But yeah george, we need pics of said (somewhat) hot 30yr old lady!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

I havent seen a MT one in ages. Neighbors friend tried to tell me he has paddle shifters and it was manual.

I said "but you have no cluth?" He said yes, and then he agreed with me that he has an automatic lol

But yeah george, we need pics of said (somewhat) hot 30yr old lady!
See this this man knows lol, i could care less about a mt v6
Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Lol...I didnt see all this conversation going on. Yeah I love the top end on my car. I cant remember if it was this forum or somewhere else I read that even though the 4AT isnt quite as quick off the line, the gearing is such that when you are in final drive it has really great highway rollon potential. I can attest to this....its surprisingly fast on the highway.

Little update: In the mail is......

TEIN Street Advance coilovers
Warpspeed Y Pipe
EBC front rotors and pads
Goodrich G Stop stainless brake lines
New underbody splash panels (since Im gonna be too close to the ground to keep running with none)
Pioneer double din head unit, with nissan brackets and wiring harnesses

Im really exited ...its basically gonna be a new car.

I will have better handling, more HP, better braking, better music sound and all around less buzzes and squeaks. Gonna be sweeeeeet!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Lol...I didnt see all this conversation going on. Yeah I love the top end on my car. I cant remember if it was this forum or somewhere else I read that even though the 4AT isnt quite as quick off the line, the gearing is such that when you are in final drive it has really great highway rollon potential. I can attest to this....its surprisingly fast on the highway.

Little update: In the mail is......

TEIN Street Advance coilovers
Warpspeed Y Pipe
EBC front rotors and pads
Goodrich G Stop stainless brake lines
New underbody splash panels (since Im gonna be too close to the ground to keep running with none)
Pioneer double din head unit, with nissan brackets and wiring harnesses

Im really exited ...its basically gonna be a new car.

I will have better handling, more HP, better braking, better music sound and all around less buzzes and squeaks. Gonna be sweeeeeet!
Congrats bud hope all the install goes well....remember tho:

Still waiting g....?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM

First mod completed.....Head Unit:

Name:  IMAG0838.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  52.4 KB
This was tedious as usual but I did it the right way

Name:  IMAG0840.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  48.7 KB
Looks pretty seemless and stock. The kit was worth an extra $20

Name:  IMAG0839.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  25.3 KB
Pretty lights Fully customizable and a MASSIVE ugrade from the stock terd that was in there.

Tomorrow the car gets transformed with brakes/lines...coilovers and hopefully Y pipe if it comes in the mail today! Good week.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Nice the way you integrated into the dash. That night mode, though, it's like straight out of spielbergs close encounters of the dashboard kind
Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Nice the way you integrated into the dash. That night mode, though, it's like straight out of spielbergs close encounters of the dashboard kind
Lol...yeah...its fully changable colors in the deisplay and the trim...also dimmers..

I love sh*t like that. It screams JAPAN
Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Lol...yeah...its fully changable colors in the deisplay and the trim...also dimmers..

I love sh*t like that. It screams JAPAN
It's so bright

Do you miss the driving dynamics of the IS?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:22 PM

It's so bright

Do you miss the driving dynamics of the IS?
It's synched with my dimmer now...lol.

Truthfully I don't even remember much. I remember loving it. I was in a car club with other Lexus and supra guys. That was fun.....but the payments, insurance and lifestyle got me into a few K of debt...lol. That was fail. Bang for the buck though, my motorcycle is my thrill toy. Nothing can touch a bike, performance vs cost