5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 maxima SE potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM

2002 maxima SE potential owner

2002 SE silver 212kmiles needs a little work, starts right up, idles fine, then idle drops, as if its going to stall but does not, then idle straightens out for a while then drops again but does not stall, tapping noise from somewhere when this happens each time, once warm drives great and no noticable problems only at idle. The car is $1750 needs a few light bulbs, hid low beams, turn signal, pass windows dont work. I think I would b a good buy and I like it, just that low idle tapping issue has me a little worried.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 AM

ewwwww
Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by george__
ewwwww
Why do u say that?.lol
Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM

because he owns a lemon and cant seem to part ways with it
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
because he owns a lemon and cant seem to part ways with it
Lol
Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM

is it an AT? "tapping" noise at idle could be failed motor mounts (i'd probably call it more of a whirring). AT mounts are designed to soften at idle and stiffen at driving speeds. that would be unrelated to your idle problem though

a possibility with your idle could be the IACV dying. could give erratic idle (would suspect it would stall completely if part completely failed) and the stepper motor makes some nice ticking noises.

a thing to watch out for on 5/5.5 gen is there's potential for ecm damage with failed iacv. and the other main thing that could fail and damage ecm is the AT motor mounts, lol. i guess i'm suggesting to check the ecm if you think it might be one of those parts.

want to clarify i'm not an expert on these things, but those might be a few places to start looking.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
is it an AT? "tapping" noise at idle could be failed motor mounts (i'd probably call it more of a whirring). AT mounts are designed to soften at idle and stiffen at driving speeds. that would be unrelated to your idle problem though

a possibility with your idle could be the IACV dying. could give erratic idle (would suspect it would stall completely if part completely failed) and the stepper motor makes some nice ticking noises.

a thing to watch out for on 5/5.5 gen is there's potential for ecm damage with failed iacv. and the other main thing that could fail and damage ecm is the AT motor mounts, lol. i guess i'm suggesting to check the ecm if you think it might be one of those parts.

want to clarify i'm not an expert on these things, but those might be a few places to start looking.
Thanks for your response, the car was sitting a few months but started up with a portable charger. Runs good otherwise, besides the idle issue great speed and power. I could replace it if its not a hard job. Seems like a good deal at $1750 although it is an.as is deal.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 PM

Id have to run a scan on it to pull a code or take to autozone. Once it idles, its as if there is a clogged egr valve, or clogged fuel injector. Then comes this knocking sound as if something is loose, and then goes bak to normal, but I will have to take it a more experienced mechanic before I drop the cash on it since it is an As-is deal. But drives good
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Id have to run a scan on it to pull a code or take to autozone. Once it idles, its as if there is a clogged egr valve, or clogged fuel injector. Then comes this knocking sound as if something is loose, and then goes bak to normal, but I will have to take it a more experienced mechanic before I drop the cash on it since it is an As-is deal. But drives good
That noise is no good
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Oh sounds like something in the engine or something
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Bad *** Newb

Knocking could be shot motor mounts, but who knows if you can't isolate it.
Idle probably just needs reset.
For the millionth time: There is no goddamn IACV. Also, there's no EGR.

If you can't do a compression test on it, then I'd stay away for sure.
mileage + precats = clunker usually (big oil burner)

Price is too high, regardless. It needs various repairs (more that you don't know about, guaranteed) and I assume it's an auto? That's transmission time sooner or later.

I'd have to pay 1k, and still spend several hundred on parts just to make it right (with lots of labor to trash the cats). For an auto, that's not even worth it to me.

If you want a solid 5th gen just stick with the 3.0. They're built better, too, imo. People are blinded by the extra power of the 3.5, then are gravely disappointed when the known issues arise.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-27-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Knocking could be shot motor mounts, but who knows if you can't isolate it.
Idle probably just needs reset.
For the millionth time: There is no goddamn IACV. Also, there's no EGR.

If you can't do a compression test on it, then I'd stay away for sure.
mileage + precats = clunker usually (big oil burner)

Price is too high, regardless. It needs various repairs (more that you don't know about, guaranteed) and I assume it's an auto? That's transmission time sooner or later.

I'd have to pay 1k, and still spend several hundred on parts just to make it right (with lots of labor to trash the cats). For an auto, that's not even worth it to me.

If you want a solid 5th gen just stick with the 3.0. They're built better, too, imo. People are blinded by the extra power of the 3.5, then are gravely disappointed when the known issues arise.
You have a good point I agree, price is a bit high for the amount of work and yes its an automatic