5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My car shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

now today i took my son to school and after i drop him up when i started the car the RPMs were in th 1000 and 1100, i drove like that to work and the whole way it was the same. After i got here i turned off the car and start it again with RPMs in the low 1000s, no cel light, i connected the scanner and no codes were found, then i checked for pending codes and trowed me P0505, please help this is driving me crazy and at this point i don't know were to look anymore
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaMiami
now today i took my son to school and after i drop him up when i started the car the RPMs were in th 1000 and 1100, i drove like that to work and the whole way it was the same. After i got here i turned off the car and start it again with RPMs in the low 1000s, no cel light, i connected the scanner and no codes were found, then i checked for pending codes and trowed me P0505, please help this is driving me crazy and at this point i don't know were to look anymore
p0505 is mostly iacv related, it would cause your car to shut off or not start (start but not hold idle). it could be an intermittent problem as it's on it's way out. it may be worth checking before replacing other sensors since it did throw a code. seems like a common part to fail as these cars get older. check your ecu while you're at it

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ighlight=p0505
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
p0505 is mostly iacv related, it would cause your car to shut off or not start (start but not hold idle). it could be an intermittent problem as it's on it's way out. it may be worth checking before replacing other sensors since it did throw a code. seems like a common part to fail as these cars get older. check your ecu while you're at it

Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

But like i said the cel light is not on, that was like a pending code that never turned on the light which is very weird to me, somebody told me that could be a broken wire and that something that this cars are very famous at, or a faulty ground. i"m going to start looking in these first before i start trowing money away, thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 AM

But like i said the cel light is not on, that was like a pending code that never turned on the light which is very weird to me, somebody told me that could be a broken wire and that something that this cars are very famous at, or a faulty ground. i"m going to start looking in these first before i start trowing money away, thanks for the suggestions
otherwise how is your idle? solid? does it surge or waver on cold starts? that was one of the signs i ignored that mine was on the way out. i didn't get a cel until it left me stranded but there were definite signs of the issue before hand. even after that i cleared it and it didn't come back ever (not even pending) while i was trying to figure it out (and i did drive it some during this time)

there are diagnostics you can do on the iacv to test if it's ok without replacing it, it's somewhere in the fsm i'm too lazy to look up the pages right now.

imo if you're still on the original part it might be decent idea to replace it and consider it preventative maintenance regardless. i got about 210k+ out of mine before it quit. oem parts seem to be the way to go for this which i know does get pricey and i understand not wanting to just throw parts at it (i threw a maf at my problem too just for good measure lol)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

otherwise how is your idle? solid? does it surge or waver on cold starts? that was one of the signs i ignored that mine was on the way out. i didn't get a cel until it left me stranded but there were definite signs of the issue before hand. even after that i cleared it and it didn't come back ever (not even pending) while i was trying to figure it out (and i did drive it some during this time)

there are diagnostics you can do on the iacv to test if it's ok without replacing it, it's somewhere in the fsm i'm too lazy to look up the pages right now.

imo if you're still on the original part it might be decent idea to replace it and consider it preventative maintenance regardless. i got about 210k+ out of mine before it quit. oem parts seem to be the way to go for this which i know does get pricey and i understand not wanting to just throw parts at it (i threw a maf at my problem too just for good measure lol)
I got home from work and no problems at all, like i said before, like nothing happened. Regarding the cold starts, the car starts like a champ steady rpm except fo this morning that the rpms where in the low 1k's like a said before, but steady, no waiving or nothing like you describe. About the IAC valve y changed it about 3 years ago becouse it burned and fried my ECU, no with an OEM part but with one from advance autoparts, could this be the problem?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM

I got home from work and no problems at all, like i said before, like nothing happened. Regarding the cold starts, the car starts like a champ steady rpm except fo this morning that the rpms where in the low 1k's like a said before, but steady, no waiving or nothing like you describe. About the IAC valve y changed it about 3 years ago becouse it burned and fried my ECU, no with an OEM part but with one from advance autoparts, could this be the problem?
i remember reading people had bad luck with non-oem iacv, it could possibly be a source of problems, not sure exactly what issues came with them though. maybe someone with more experience can help out