5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear toe out of spec, debating options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Rear toe out of spec, debating options.

Been a while since I've been on the boards but I've still got my 5th gen and she's going strong at nearly 200k. That said, I've got a bit of an issue with rear toe. Most recent alignment shows the left @ -0.40 and right @ +0.41 with spec being -0.13 to 0.22.

I realize adjusting rear toe isn't normally possible and usually means there's some sort of suspension damage/issue. Pretty sure I'd remember hitting curbs on both sides so I'm not exactly sure what happened. Regardless, the best I can tell is I've got three options:
  1. Have an experienced shop use some shims to re-align the sub axle/spindle as best they can.
  2. Have the rear beam "bent" back into shape.
  3. Ignore it and hope my tire wear/tracking isn't an issue.
Supposedly the first two fixes are filed squarely in the "pain in the ***" category and I'd likely need a specialty shop for it. So does anyone have any experience/insight in dealing with this? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Got Retrofit?

We can't do shims from what I recall. Have you noticed strange tire wear in the rear? If not I'd just leave it be.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM

You're not lowered?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
We can't do shims from what I recall. Have you noticed strange tire wear in the rear? If not I'd just leave it be.
Interesting, I wasn't keen on the idea to begin with so that's good to know. I haven't noticed any wear issues as of yet but it's hard to say when it went out of spec. I'll definitely keep an eye on it since I got a fresh set or rubber back there this week.

Originally Posted by george__
You're not lowered?
I am actually. Tein H-Tech's with a relatively mild 1" drop. Am I right to assume most people with slight drops don't have toe issues?

I mean, I realize any height adjustment will always affect camber/caster/toe to some degree, but this feels excessive. Especially when both are pointing to the left of the car (toe out L, toe in R) implying something is out of whack.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:16 PM

I have toe issue with a kyb gr2 + h-tech too
It's because you're lowered
Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by george__
I have toe issue with a kyb gr2 + h-tech too
It's because you're lowered
Really? Well that's exactly what I'm running so I guess that just might be it. Weird that they both go the same direction instead of symmetrical, so maybe one of my friends or some attendant rolled a curb at some point.

How's your tire wear been with it? Considering toe is the real tire-killer, I'm hoping it's been manageable.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
Really? Well that's exactly what I'm running so I guess that just might be it. Weird that they both go the same direction instead of symmetrical, so maybe one of my friends or some attendant rolled a curb at some point.

How's your tire wear been with it? Considering toe is the real tire-killer, I'm hoping it's been manageable.
No clue. I use the KYB GR2 + H-TECH setup for 3 months a year and then tein SS coilovers for the rest of the year. The tires from the h-tech setup are OLD (2005 or something) and still look okay but my coilover tires, 2012, aren't doing as well.

I drive ~22,000 km a year

Look wise, I can hide the tires going inwards with the coilovers via slamming but the h-tech you can see it

Last edited by george__; 03-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.