5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Maxima 3.5 Oil Disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Mateen995
I admit 1 quart per 1000 miles is excessive but keep in mind how old our engines are

but you're supposed to check your oil-level time to time for oil burning and top-off as needed which is what the manual states

this is how some Maxima's get beaten to ****
False to the millionth degree. Ever own a VQ30? You can drive for over 10,000 miles and not lose any oil. I've seen it. I basically have that VQ30 (sister's ). Plus, my 1st maxi was a 2000.
Even my previously abused '91 Z32 doesn't use much oil (leaks more than burns - 180k). My '91 E34 at 210k doesn't burn oil, either.

I still don't think it's mostly rings. My old 3.5 only burned a lot of oil when engine braking (giant cloud of blue after), so I suspect valve stem seals. My even older 3.5 didn't burn until precats destroyed the engine.
Precats will ruin everything, guaranteed. They're a ticking time bomb.

Quit making up excuses. Even 1 quart for 3k is not normal. This isn't a piece of **** engineered BMW. Parts are clearly defective. Some 3.5s burn and some don't.

Honda KNOWS their rings/design is defective. They've been sued over it. I recently saw a Pilot consume over 2 quarts in about 1,000 miles. I assume they have mostly fixed it b/c of the lawsuit LOL

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-08-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Don't you have one in yours? Why did you put one in the first place?
Yeah it's really rough for city driving due to 1-2 kick
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'll stop you right there. My 95 Maxima just turned 20 years old last month, and it doesn't burn any oil. Also has 250,000 miles.

if that's the case, I'd suggest an engine swap from an 09. That engine doesn't burn oil and it has a lot more power.
What all is involved with this swap? Is it a direct fit?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SEmaxima
What all is involved with this swap? Is it a direct fit?
Don't bother. $$$$$$$
Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
False to the millionth degree. Ever own a VQ30? You can drive for over 10,000 miles and not lose any oil. I've seen it. I basically have that VQ30 (sister's ). Plus, my 1st maxi was a 2000.
Even my previously abused '91 Z32 doesn't use much oil (leaks more than burns - 180k). My '91 E34 at 210k doesn't burn oil, either.

I still don't think it's mostly rings. My old 3.5 only burned a lot of oil when engine braking (giant cloud of blue after), so I suspect valve stem seals. My even older 3.5 didn't burn until precats destroyed the engine.
Precats will ruin everything, guaranteed. They're a ticking time bomb.

Quit making up excuses. Even 1 quart for 3k is not normal. This isn't a piece of **** engineered BMW. Parts are clearly defective. Some 3.5s burn and some don't.

Honda KNOWS their rings/design is defective. They've been sued over it. I recently saw a Pilot consume over 2 quarts in about 1,000 miles. I assume they have mostly fixed it b/c of the lawsuit LOL
What exactly is it about the pre-cats that is bad? Do they just fall apart inside? I thougt that if the cats were bad, the car wouldn't run good. Also wouldn't the car debris just blow out the tail pipe? It runs great and accelerates just as it always did.

As far as oil consumption goes, I've never had anything that used much if any oil. If anything, it was just old stuff that leaked. I had a 1995 F150 that didn't smoke or burn oil and it had 300,000 miles in it. We also have a 1997 Mustang Cobra with 128k miles that doesn't use oil.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-09-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 AM
Bad *** Newb

What exactly is it about the pre-cats that is bad? Do they just fall apart inside? I thougt that if the cats were bad, the car wouldn't run good. Also wouldn't the car debris just blow out the tail pipe? It runs great and accelerates just as it always did.
Yes, they disintegrate and are sucked back up into the engine. No lawsuit like the altimas means nothing at all was done and people don't know.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Trust me you don't want a HD2 kit in your DD
Nothing wrong with hd2 kit if your mounts are in good shape.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
running poly * 4... Less head jerk but car's way stiffer
Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Don't bother. $$$$$$$
He did mention expense wasn’t a problem. You need to read before mindlessly posting.

Yes, they disintegrate and are sucked back up into the engine. No lawsuit like the altimas means nothing at all was done and people don't know.
I used to be on this same theory, but mine burns currently at 160k, and I’ve had headers since 37k.

Originally Posted by Mattx
Numerous times and I will once more, the best compliment any shift could have are PUR mounts. I went as far as downgrading the level of my VB mod (from II.5 to II), and then decided to upgrade the mounts, and after I upgraded, decided to go back up to II.5. Haven’t regretted it since.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM

If expense not a problem why not just buy a new car? Doing gen 5.7 mod would bring all sorts of potential maintenance headaches if OP isn't a DIY.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 AM

If expense not a problem why not just buy a new car? Doing gen 5.7 mod would bring all sorts of potential maintenance headaches if OP isn't a DIY.
agreed
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM

I guess expense is a relative term. There is a budget to repair the car or replace it with something slightly better or with less miles. A "new" vehicle is out of the question. The Maxima actually belongs to my parents who are retired. Its their primary vehicle. They really like it, so I would like to keep it going. That might not be feasible. They need something reliable and easy to maintain. Replacing this car with a nice lower mileage Crown Vic or Grand Marquis is being considered.

New cars are not my thing. My main interest is classic cars. I restored a 65 Mustang. My daily driver is a 94 F150.

I still am somewhat confused how it would even be possible for exhaust to be sucked back up the manifold in the opposite direction of flow.

Last edited by SEmaxima; 04-10-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/t...-Air-separator
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM

We did some more experimenting and I followed the car for a drive under different conditions. It seemed to smoke a little but definitely noticeable when leaving a stop under medium acceleration. Under hard acceleration it was less noticeable, but that could be because it was exiting the tail pipe faster.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 PM

running poly * 4... Less head jerk but car's way stiffer

George when you put performance parts on your car you can't expect it to be the same as non upgraded parts. Polly/mounts are going to make the car stiffer. That's a foregone conclusion. I just don't understand do you want your car to be exactly the same as stock then just leave it stock. Just saying.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:59 PM

I guess expense is a relative term. There is a budget to repair the car or replace it with something slightly better or with less miles. A "new" vehicle is out of the question. The Maxima actually belongs to my parents who are retired. Its their primary vehicle. They really like it, so I would like to keep it going. That might not be feasible. They need something reliable and easy to maintain. Replacing this car with a nice lower mileage Crown Vic or Grand Marquis is being considered.

New cars are not my thing. My main interest is classic cars. I restored a 65 Mustang. My daily driver is a 94 F150.

I still am somewhat confused how it would even be possible for exhaust to be sucked back up the manifold in the opposite direction of flow.
Hate brand new cars, all plastic and computers in engine bay, parents 2012 Durango doesnt even have an easily accessable battery, let alone lights, filter, anything, PITA city, they want you to have to take it to stealer.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
He did mention expense wasn’t a problem. You need to read before mindlessly posting.
I used to be on this same theory, but mine burns currently at 160k, and I’ve had headers since 37k.
There's more than one way for it to burn and there's a big difference between up to 1 qt per 1-3k and 1 quart every 500 miles.

I have 1st hand experience. It's not a theory. My 1st 6 speed had 60k when I bought it. It didn't burn oil and I drove the **** out of it. I was changing it every 3k ish. At 74k, I changed the oil and all was still well.

At 75k, out of nowhere, the engine refused to accelerate. I was on the interstate, it overheated and shut off.

Guess what happened? Precats completely disintegrated! They clogged up the rear cat and choked the motor out. AND the whole time for at least the last 1k mi, they had been eating up the cylinders and blew almost all of the oil out! After gutting the rear cat the car would run, but had a knock.

So, yes, the threat is very real and everyone not deleting them is dealing with a mother****ing ticking bomb. I gutted cats on a maxima myself and the front precat was rattling around losing mass like crazy. Not to mention that it was severely plugged up....from burning so much goddamn oil in the front bank.

We've seen irrefutable proof from other members. EVERY single 02-06 Altima suffers the same fate (witnessed one myself). Go ask the B15 guys. Driving hard accelerates their destruction b/c the extra fuel heats the **** out of them.

Valve overlap and backpressure, brah. Haven't you noticed the lack of an EGR valve? That's not helping, either.

Why there are so many people in denial is beyond me. Nissan had a freaking recall for this exact problem on the QRs!

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-10-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM

After new valve covers

Bad pic because lost sunlight and had to use crappy phone flash, actually looks better than pic shows and most importantly oil shouldnt be leaking all over the sides of the block.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:39 PM

I think our next step will be doing a compression test.

I looked at the records. It looks like about 6 years ago, the rear valve cover was replaced, but not the front.

There's more than one way for it to burn and there's a big difference between up to 1 qt per 1-3k and 1 quart every 500 miles.

I have 1st hand experience. It's not a theory. My 1st 6 speed had 60k when I bought it. It didn't burn oil and I drove the **** out of it. I was changing it every 3k ish. At 74k, I changed the oil and all was still well.

At 75k, out of nowhere, the engine refused to accelerate. I was on the interstate, it overheated and shut off.

Guess what happened? Precats completely disintegrated! They clogged up the rear cat and choked the motor out. AND the whole time for at least the last 1k mi, they had been eating up the cylinders and blew almost all of the oil out! After gutting the rear cat the car would run, but had a knock.

So, yes, the threat is very real and everyone not deleting them is dealing with a mother****ing ticking bomb. I gutted cats on a maxima myself and the front precat was rattling around losing mass like crazy. Not to mention that it was severely plugged up....from burning so much goddamn oil in the front bank.

We've seen irrefutable proof from other members. EVERY single 02-06 Altima suffers the same fate (witnessed one myself). Go ask the B15 guys. Driving hard accelerates their destruction b/c the extra fuel heats the **** out of them.

Valve overlap and backpressure, brah. Haven't you noticed the lack of an EGR valve? That's not helping, either.

Why there are so many people in denial is beyond me. Nissan had a freaking recall for this exact problem on the QRs!
Yeah, I noticed there is not an EGR valve. I wasn't sure how they got away with doing that.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-15-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by tnj9
Right, slip up on my part, 3.5 wasnt introduced until 5.5 2002-2003 hence why it was "experimental" then. My 03 has been absolutely babied and meticulously maintained, yet burns 1qt/1000mi valve covers failed in both front and rear and as we speak is going in for replacement. Putting 6th gen on as they're better sealed and fit the same.

The 4AT is pretty bad too in my GLE. Not an aggressive driver, no street racing, no takeoff at red lights to green like a jerk, very rarely floor it, just once in a blue moon to hear her purr. Fluid is frequently inspected and flushed and refilled when appropriate, yet its now begun to have a problem where it doesnt shift into 4th when the engine is cold on very cold days. Luckily its spring now and it only happened a few times this past winter, but i know whats coming...

Its normal for the transmission not to shift into OD/overdrive when the fluid is cold, sometimes not for a few minutes until after the fluid has warmed up.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Its normal for the transmission not to shift into OD/overdrive when the fluid is cold, sometimes not for a few minutes until after the fluid has warmed up.
4th gear is overdrive? Somehow revving high going 30-40mph in 3rd doesnt seem like its working properly.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 AM

I came across this. Is there anything else I should know about when checking the compression on this motor? Also, Does it really have to be warmed up? With the intake etc removed, there is no way to run the car.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/nis...-compression-1
Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 AM

I came across this. Is there anything else I should know about when checking the compression on this motor? Also, Does it really have to be warmed up? With the intake etc removed, there is no way to run the car.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/nis...-compression-1
compression tests doesn't involve the car running, it just involves the engine turning over to check compression levels
Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 AM

I read that the engine needs to be warm.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:26 AM

compression tests doesn't involve the car running, it just involves the engine turning over to check compression levels
basic shop class rules, just turn it over a few times, doesnt need to be warm
Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
hey dumb question can a 5spd or cvt trans from another model be bolted on our maximas?
Or is it a 5th gen needs a 5th gen trans?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
hey dumb question can a 5spd or cvt trans from another model be bolted on our maximas?
Or is it a 5th gen needs a 5th gen trans?
Lol idk why you would think about that in the first place both those trans are garbage
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Lol idk why you would think about that in the first place both those trans are garbage
Cvt? (Shudders) If my 4AT tranny died id drop in a 6sp manual from the same gen.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM

I admit 1 quart per 1000 miles is excessive but keep in mind how old our engines are

but you're supposed to check your oil-level time to time for oil burning and top-off as needed which is what the manual states

this is how some Maxima's get beaten to ****
Maybe a quart between oil changes is fine. But none of this is normal or being blown out of proportion. My grrey 03 can burn 3 quarts in 4 days my friends g35 burned a liter every month.

In comparison my vq30 in my old 4g was modified a lil and I took that thing to 7k rpm on a regular basis... 7k km oil changes with synthetic and it would be down only a cup of oil if that.

I would understand a turbo car losing a bit more oil cause extra heat and a turbo but not a 250hp naturally aspirated engine that doesn't even reb high.

On my new 02 I use German made Castrol 0w30. Apparently this 0w30 gets a lil thicker than 30 when warm and on bob is the oil guy it returns the best results in oil tests for the vq35. I also added an eighth oz of "bardahl no smoke". So far it burns very little and is still golden dark brown after 2 weeks.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91

On my new 02 I use German made Castrol 0w30. Apparently this 0w30 gets a lil thicker than 30 when warm and on bob is the oil guy it returns the best results in oil tests for the vq35. I also added an eighth oz of "bardahl no smoke". So far it burns very little and is still golden dark brown after 2 weeks.
The same thing will happen if you leave it stock.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM

The compression test results are in.

Cyl Dry Wet
1 210 225
2 195 220
3 200 235
4 205 225
5 200 217
6 210 228
Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Bad *** Newb

The compression test results are in.

Cyl Dry Wet
1 210 225
2 195 220
3 200 235
4 205 225
5 200 217
6 210 228
That gauge read way high. Try it with another. Perfect condition is 185. I had 175 on my old motor at 181k :P
Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 PM

This test was done using a brand new Bosch FIX7828 tester. The engine was turned over for 5 to 7 seconds for each test. I do not have access to another one. More importantly, this shows they are all in about the same range. Here is a link to the tester.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=fix7828

I just found this on another forum. Apparently all engines aren't identicle.

umm.. trying to clarify my doubts on those numbers..

so there might be different compression readings from different testers..? and does those numbers have value other than knowing the variance between cylinders and if leak is present?

what if the same tester/gauge was used on two different engines, and both produced constant readings, but a big gap between the two.??

e.g.
---------------------
engine 1

140, 140, 145, 150, 145, 150

engine 2

200, 210, 205, 200, 205, 210
--------------------

Even if the readings were a little high, I don't think that low compression is the car's problem. So, that tells me the rings aren't bad. What else could cause the oil burning issue?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-15-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 PM

Why didn't you just buy a warpspeed y pipe instead of gutting your pre cats?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by IsaacFall
It's more affordable.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
It's more affordable.
correct me if I am wrong but

replacing y-pipe with warpspeed on a 5.5 dosent replace precats, you still have them to deal with regardless.

4th gen and 5th gen one precat is replaced and one is left with a y-pipe
Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

There's more than one way for it to burn and !

My point was, the oil burning issue. No reason these should burn this much oil at such low mileage. Depending on how I drive, (engine braking, etc since this causes more vacuum and sucks up more oil) I burn about 1.5 qt every 3k.

I wasn't referring to the grenading issue, mine still has gobs of power, so calm down there tiger.

EGR in these relies heavily off of CVTC. Apparently they saw that was a bad idea and went back to external EGR in the A34 and beyond.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
correct me if I am wrong but

replacing y-pipe with warpspeed on a 5.5 dosent replace precats, you still have them to deal with regardless.

4th gen and 5th gen one precat is replaced and one is left with a y-pipe
On the warpspeed website, for the 2002-2003 maxima, it says "No Pre-cats Deleted." Which I'm assuming that means that there are no precats and that they have been deleted/removed.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:17 AM

On the warpspeed website, for the 2002-2003 maxima, it says "No Pre-cats Deleted." Which I'm assuming that means that there are no precats and that they have been deleted/removed.
Nope read it again, No precats deleted, and if you read further it says you will pass emisisons because no precats are deleted.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Nope read it again, No precats deleted, and if you read further it says you will pass emisisons because no precats are deleted.
My bad man, you're right. I e-mailed them and they said that there are still precats.

Quick Reply: 2003 Maxima 3.5 Oil Disappearing