5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AC Compressor or Not ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 AM
acw

AC Compressor or Not ? ? ?

Hey Buds,

Hope all is well where you are.

AC ISSUE
I'm not sure if this is related to another issue i have with the "Vent Control and AC." Which i posted here LINK (just haven't had the time to address the Mode Door Motor/Switch issue).

NOW
The AC compressor (which i changed about 6mths ago---with a lifetime rebuilt compressor) is Switching on-n-off AT random times. It's just not cooling the car on a "consistent basis."

It was working fine for the first 6mths, now it shuts off or goes on and off in short bursts.

• Its almost like the car is low on Freon, but i don't know ? ? ?
  • HOW SHOULD I APPROACH this Issue ?
  • Would i be to determine if AC was low on Freon by using a Good set of Gauges?

Anyway, its GETTING HOT here in FLA. (90's and climbing). I need to get this fixed---lol

Thanks for any help you can give...

~T

Last edited by acw; 04-20-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM

cycling off and on usually means the system is low on charge
Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM
acw

UPDATE
today, the friggin unit was running correctly. I bought some gauges want to test to see if unit is low on freon.

WEIRD???
Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
cycling off and on usually means the system is low on charge
+1 !!
You can buy a refrigerant canister for about $55 and refill yourself. Most auto stores carry them. Takes about 5 minutes to refill.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:43 AM
acw

Sunload Sensor ?

Hey Buds,

I ran the Self-Diagnosis test and got code 25 (blinking). This indicates "Sunload Sensor" Issue....Weird....?
(now its been raining out...so i don't know if that test is accurate or not)

NOTE
NOW THAT i think about it....i had a guy clean the interior of my Car....i wonder if he sprayed cleaner on the DASH
---did that f#@k up my Sensor ?

?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 PM
acw

Bump...

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:19 PM

The test is still valid even though it wasn't in sunlight. The test is checking resistance and current flow. I doubt that a cleaner sprayed on the surface would cause any harm. And then it depends on what year your car is. Later production has the sensor mounted in the defroster grill, while in earlier production cars it was down 2 -3 inches below the defroster grille and the grill had a reddish lens in it.

What I don't know is if the sensor would cause the a/c to malfunction. I want to guess no, but it is just a guess.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:38 PM
acw

Thanks Dennis,

Its a 03 I35.

I don't know ...but i have noticed that "at night" (im in Fla.)...the AC blows cold with LESS issues than in the day time. Today it was HOT---upper 90's outside, and the compressor was switching on-and-off repeatedly within 1-2 sec intervals.

I guess the first step is to check the FREON level in the system with gauges.

If it is the sensor, its attached to the defroster grill (like you said). Not sure how to get that off----the part is about $40 bucks.

Have you any idea on how to "install a sensor" in the defrost grill?

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The test is still valid even though it wasn't in sunlight. The test is checking resistance and current flow. I doubt that a cleaner sprayed on the surface would cause any harm. And then it depends on what year your car is. Later production has the sensor mounted in the defroster grill, while in earlier production cars it was down 2 -3 inches below the defroster grille and the grill had a reddish lens in it.

What I don't know is if the sensor would cause the a/c to malfunction. I want to guess no, but it is just a guess.

Last edited by acw; 04-26-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:13 PM

The sunload sensor is on the passenger side. The defroster grills just pry up and out. The grilles have a small tab that sticks out to hold the grill in and are about an inch from each corner. The sunload sensor snaps into the grille. Not a major issue.

Here is a place that is cheaper than the dealer. They want $8.25 to ship it, so you'll save maybe $5.

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-nissan/277213aa0a
Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM
acw

@Dennis,

Thanks Man. I spoke to my mechanic and he said that if the AC COMPRESSOR is going on and off, it is not the compressor that is the issue. He said it might be "pressure sensor" (i don't know what that is) but apparently it senses pressure in the system and tells the compressor when to run and not.

ALL THESE FREGGIN Sensors are BS.

If its that easy to change, i will give it a shot. Cost is $40...so its probably easier to just buy it from the stealership.

Will let you know how it goes...

Cheers!

~T

Last edited by acw; 04-28-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Make sure the radiator cooling fans are both working. If the condenser gets too hot it'll shut down and restart when it cools off. A failed cooling fan will cause it to shut down when the car is stopped and work when it's moving but could also show itself by working when it's cooler outside.
It's an easy test before you go any further or spend any money.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 AM
acw

Thanks Man...
...AGGRAVATING driving in Hot Weather...

Fan's look ok...and turn on when the car gets hot.
IN ADDITION, the car does this while on the Highway too....

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Make sure the radiator cooling fans are both working. If the condenser gets too hot it'll shut down and restart when it cools off. A failed cooling fan will cause it to shut down when the car is stopped and work when it's moving but could also show itself by working when it's cooler outside.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
+1

Your ac fan should turn on as soon as you hit the ac switch, this will keep the system cool. Check the fuses to your fan, had this exact same thing happen to me in my Honda Odyssey.