5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Obx collector to y-pipe gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Obx collector to y-pipe gasket

I have been slowly gathering everything I need to tackle installation on a set of Obx headers into my 2003 Maxima. The one part which has been eluding me thus far is finding a better quality gasket for the flanged connection on the header collector to y pipe. I will use the included gasket in the Obx kit if I absolutely have to, but cardboard style gaskets like these are pretty useless, and I don't look forward to having to scrape it off in the future when it inevitably fails. I had no issue sourcing gaskets for the manifolds and y pipe outlet thanks to the various info threads here on the org, however oddly enough none of the guides include any information on replacing the gasket in question.

I've tried sourcing something online, but the included gasket in the Obx kit is a pretty oddball size, something like 55mm ID (2.165 inches or so). Most gaskets I've seen online don't include full gasket dimensions either which doesn't help. I stopped in at a local Napa and they were of no help, stating that the only gaskets they'd be able to bring in would be of similar material. Does anyone have a part number for a replacement gasket for the collector to y-pipe flange?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:05 AM

steal OEM gaskets from other Nissans @ salvage yards.

problem. solved.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:22 AM

The problem here is that there is no oem flange of this size in the car as far as I know.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

problem. solved.
^^^^

Last edited by schmellyfart; 05-09-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
^^^^
I hate to have to repeat myself, but there is no oem equivalent part on the maxima. This gasket is specific to the Obx headers, so unless I can find a junked car that just so happens to have a set of Obx headers with an upgraded gasket that I can take, this suggestion really does nothing to help me out.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 PM

Brah! You know thats a standard 3 bolt flange that all headers use.
http://catalog.remflex.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=104
Old 05-10-2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout
I hate to have to repeat myself, but there is no oem equivalent part on the maxima. This gasket is specific to the Obx headers, so unless I can find a junked car that just so happens to have a set of Obx headers with an upgraded gasket that I can take, this suggestion really does nothing to help me out.
I too, hate repeating myself. I should have been more clear.
Originally Posted by aackshun

problem. solved.
In other words, There are other Nissans (Not necessarily Maximas) that use a 2 bolt gaskets of varying diameters to suit your needs. Now that I think of it, the "s" pipe gasket between it and the rest of the exhaust on a 97-99 Maxima would probably work as it is a 2 bolt multi layer steel gasket with roughly a 2" diameter if memory serves me right.

Secondly, those suggesting the 3 bolt flange gasket are incorrect. OBX uses a 2 bolt flange to connect the front header to the y pipe/rear header.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 05-10-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:20 AM

In other words, There are other Nissans (Not necessarily Maximas) that use a 2 bolt gaskets of varying diameters to suit your needs. Now that I think of it, the "s" pipe gasket between it and the rest of the exhaust on a 97-99 Maxima would probably work as it is a 2 bolt multi layer steel gasket with roughly a 2" diameter if memory serves me right.
That's an interesting idea, I'll dig around a little bit to see if I come across anything that looks like it'll work. It's easy enough to find a gasket with the appropriate inside diameter, where I'm encountering difficulty is in finding the right locations for the bolt holes so that things line up properly. The flange connection is a little odd, the actual piping inside diameter is exactly 2" (measured with a caliper), where the inside diameter of the flange is more like 2.165" before dropping back down to 2".

One idea I have is to take a tracing of the included gasket on a standard piece of printer paper, scan it to my computer, and email that to summit racing. If they print out the tracing on a standard size piece of paper, it should serve as a template to size out a gasket that will fit. They have a million gaskets available, but narrowing it down on my end is difficult due to the lack of full dimensions on the website listings.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 PM

As long as you don't dip below the pipe diameter, running a 2" ID gasket will not cause any ill effects.

The flange size is standard, and other users have used one of Vibrant's 2 bolt, 2" gasket without any fittment issues.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM

The 2" vibrant gasket I ordered just showed up today, and it's a very good fit for the flange in question. Thanks a bunch for the great suggestion, this gasket looks like it should last a long time as compared to the included gasket.

As long as you don't dip below the pipe diameter, running a 2" ID gasket will not cause any ill effects.

The flange size is standard, and other users have used one of Vibrant's 2 bolt, 2" gasket without any fittment issues.