5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust rotting away, Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Exhaust rotting away, Choices?

My exhaust developed a leak at the flange that connects to the midpipe up at the front. I would really have to take a good look but looks like its at the flange/connection that belongs to the 2 pipes that comes down from the engine block. What are my choices for exhaust? The car has 125K so I wanna go the cheapest route. Looks like the midpipe is in better shape but I pretty much see the exhaust system in general pretty rotted including the exhaust manifolds. So in other words, to try and get any of these parts and bolts off means that they will probably only come off by snapping them. Is it cheaper to go stock or aftermarket? Dealer will be an arm and a leg. And usually the exhaust from auto part stores usually don't last that long either.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by 02nissmax; 05-13-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Manifolds just have rust on them. I'm sure almost every Maxima does. I don't think there's any reason to plan to replace them, and you certainly won't be if you want to get cheap stuff. As far as anything before the catalytic converters, there are very few options for replacements as there aren't but a couple aftermarket parts to replace the stock, and they all cost about 700 bucks.

I'd just take it to a shop to see if they can fix it. If this is the only real problem with the Max, at 125k, it's still worth putting some money into.

Catbacks are kind of abundant though, and you can get some decent stuff for not too much money pretty much anywhere online.
Just gotta search.

Last edited by Cotozic; 05-13-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Manifolds just have rust on them. I'm sure almost every Maxima does. I don't think there's any reason to plan to replace them, and you certainly won't be if you want to get cheap stuff. As far as anything before the catalytic converters, there are very few options for replacements as there aren't but a couple aftermarket parts to replace the stock, and they all cost about 700 bucks.

I'd just take it to a shop to see if they can fix it. If this is the only real problem with the Max, at 125k, it's still worth putting some money into.

Catbacks are kind of abundant though, and you can get some decent stuff for not too much money pretty much anywhere online.
Just gotta search.
Ok so the manifolds should be ok then. What about the catalytic converters? I read on here somewhere that they have a tendency to disintegrate and back flow back into the exhaust ports and sand the rings down which would cause much higher oil consumption. My car at 125K runs real good except the known oil consumption. 1 quart every 1K miles.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 PM

Oil consumption is a big topic here. Everyone talks about different possibilities. I think youre refering to the precats in the headers, as those tend to be what fails and causes motor problems. Could be valve cover seals letting oil leak into your plugs. That's a really common one too. That's worth a search of its own.

It is really easy to check the health of your main cat in comparison to those in the headers. Usually the precats will throw a code when they go bad though... at least from what I've read. I've never had any problems with mine. 135k and strong, fortunately.

You can check your valve covers for leaks by seeing if there are any traces of oil seeping from the top of your valve covers. The front you can tell easily by checking plugs or just the top. With the rear, you might have to investigate further, such as behind the motor, under the intake manifold because it has to be removed in order to acces the plugs.

This is all worth a search of its own though. I'm no expert, especially since I've never had oil consumption problems, I just read about others so I know what to look for.

Sometimes an oil consumption fix is as easy as switching oils or adding oil additive for some. Definitely search around if you don't find any signs of leaking on your motor.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Oil consumption is a big topic here. Everyone talks about different possibilities. I think youre refering to the precats in the headers, as those tend to be what fails and causes motor problems. Could be valve cover seals letting oil leak into your plugs. That's a really common one too. That's worth a search of its own.

It is really easy to check the health of your main cat in comparison to those in the headers. Usually the precats will throw a code when they go bad though... at least from what I've read. I've never had any problems with mine. 135k and strong, fortunately.

You can check your valve covers for leaks by seeing if there are any traces of oil seeping from the top of your valve covers. The front you can tell easily by checking plugs or just the top. With the rear, you might have to investigate further, such as behind the motor, under the intake manifold because it has to be removed in order to acces the plugs.

This is all worth a search of its own though. I'm no expert, especially since I've never had oil consumption problems, I just read about others so I know what to look for.

Sometimes an oil consumption fix is as easy as switching oils or adding oil additive for some. Definitely search around if you don't find any signs of leaking on your motor.
Yes, I was referring to the precats. So if it throws a CEL then ok that's good then. I did do a valve cover /tube seals gasket job on it a while back so it should still be good. I used a later model gaskets as suggested.

thankfully, I got the exhaust fixed for $175.00 The guy did say that next time I may not be so lucky. Although the midpipe looks in ok shape. the front pipes are pretty rusty, including the cats at the front.Although the cats are very thick and they'll probably last a while, they said do not even touch that until you're ready to lay major bucks for those cats. So for now, she lives quietly once again.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 PM

Once you gotta do work on them, say bye bye to them. I think most people here believe the pre-cats are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM

BRM, Custom.....used Cattman....

http://www.brmexhaust.com/Nissan-Max...a33-maxima.htm
with 22" resonator, and 22" x 11" x 5" twin outlet muffler.... So what I would do honestly is ask them for a tubing kit only and assemble the largest resonator and muffler possible (both 22" long)

Last edited by CMax03; 05-18-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
BRM, Custom.....used Cattman....

http://www.brmexhaust.com/Nissan-Max...a33-maxima.htm
with 22" resonator, and 22" x 11" x 5" twin outlet muffler.... So what I would do honestly is ask them for a tubing kit only and assemble the largest resonator and muffler possible (both 22" long)
How is BRM quality?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Decent I would say for the price....You did see the pictures in the link right????....Only issue I would say is a problem for me (If I had one) would be that puny muffler and resonator combo! The weldment and muffler brand is awesome....Magnaflow is the standard for me...It's available in aluminized steel or stainless piping and the install quality is the real question whether it's installed right? There's plenty of adjustment....same as my MES 3rd & 4th Gen Maxima(s).
Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Decent I would say for the price....You did see the pictures in the link right????....Only issue I would say is a problem for me (If I had one) would be that puny muffler and resonator combo! The weldment and muffler brand is awesome....Magnaflow is the standard for me...It's available in aluminized steel or stainless piping and the install quality is the real question whether it's installed right? There's plenty of adjustment....same as my MES 3rd & 4th Gen Maxima(s).
So it's good quality like Cattman?

Last edited by george__; 05-18-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 AM

As someone who has a BRM setup, I'd say it's worth it. The kit is a great quality build (speaking for the stainless). I personally like the sound of the muffler and 18" resonator included in their kit. I also tacked on a 3" resonated test pipe, so it's essentially a giant resonator. Real deep tone.

When it came to an install, the guy who had the set before me put it on without any problems or adjustments needed. Perfect fit. Obviously was the same for me. So yeah, install quality is just a matter of if it were installed correctly.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 AM

cmax. i cant remember, did you have experience with the typical aftermarket stuff like walker and bosal???

leading to how does BRM compare to those?

im redooing all my exhaust, and was about to order walker for the last two pieces muffler and b-pipe.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM

the brm muffler looks loud as hell!, especially with that baby resonator. i should stay w stock, im guttin pre-cats, warpspeed y-pipe, warpspeed hi-flow metallic fast cat, and walker (aftermarket OEM) all the way back from there for noise.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
the brm muffler looks loud as hell!, especially with that baby resonator. i should stay w stock, im guttin pre-cats, warpspeed y-pipe, warpspeed hi-flow metallic fast cat, and walker (aftermarket OEM) all the way back from there for noise.
I just ordered a BRM exhaust. Magnaflow stuff throughout.

I went 2.5'', with an 18'' resonator and a dual tip muffler.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Name:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  69.4 KB
This is what I got to replace my rotted exhaust

Name:  IMG_0474.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  59.8 KB
Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM

nice boondo, looks nice, I was eyeing that one up! just went with walker tho