5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Idle

Problem:

I have asked this before and still I have the same issue. Car runs perfect, when in operating temp the car tends to turn off. I haven't been using it a lot as I got another car. The other day I was warming up the car, making sure everything is in order. I accelerated the car and the RPM's went up and down in a normal way. but did it again for a second time and the rpm's went all the way down, the car turn off, what could be the problem?? TPS maybe? Temp is up again and have a few parts that needs to be replaced.....
Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Problem:

I have asked this before and still I have the same issue. Car runs perfect, when in operating temp the car tends to turn off. I haven't been using it a lot as I got another car. The other day I was warming up the car, making sure everything is in order. I accelerated the car and the RPM's went up and down in a normal way. but did it again for a second time and the rpm's went all the way down, the car turn off, what could be the problem?? TPS maybe? Temp is up again and have a few parts that needs to be replaced.....
Are you saying that once the car reaches operating temperature, it wants to shut off? Does it happen both when driving and when idling?
In either case, I would: i) Check for any pending codes, ii) Check/clean the MAF, and as last resort iii) Check/clean TPS, CPS. BTW, I had similar problem when my car would die as I shifted fronm D to N, for example when coasting to a Stop/light. It was my MAF, no code.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

MAF is still good, codes are the normal oxygen sensors, will check the tps. the car run great, but when it is in D for while with the brakes on, it tends to shutter a little bit, and I have cleaned everything.... the only thing I haven't looked at is the tps
Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM

If you're sure the MAF sensor is still good, I would also suggest giving the TB a good deep cleaning - remove it from the car and clean both sides really well (as opposed to spraying cleaner on one side and wiping it out while it is still mounted).

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM

I want to amend my earlier post (above).
If your car shuts off while driving, check out your CAM and CRANK Position Sensors. And read this TSB by Nissan: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/289/ .

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 05-26-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
I want to amend my earlier post (above).
If your car shuts off while driving, check out your CAN and CRANK Position Sensors. And read this TSB by Nissan: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/289/ .
it shutters but wont turn off, it rides perfect, the issue is while having the brakes applied and in D.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

it shutters but wont turn off, it rides perfect, the issue is while having the brakes applied and in D.
Sounds like not enough air. Clean the IACV and relearn the idle.

While you're at it do the TB coolant bypass if you haven't already.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 PM

man that's a weird issue, if it was my car i'd do some runs with the Sanp-ON Verus and also inspect it on the lift while and off and once or twice while running.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If you're sure the MAF sensor is still good, I would also suggest giving the TB a good deep cleaning - remove it from the car and clean both sides really well (as opposed to spraying cleaner on one side and wiping it out while it is still mounted).

Good luck!

if you decide to clean your TB... please do not spray anything into or onto the TB. It should only be cleaned with a small soft wire brush and terrycloth towels that have TB cleaner or MAF cleaner on them.

if the TB is sprayed/flooded with carb/TB cleaner it will damage the IACV inside the housing and cause even more trouble than you already have.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sounds like not enough air. Clean the IACV and relearn the idle.

While you're at it do the TB coolant bypass if you haven't already.
Im going to work on the car this coming weekend, any specific cleaner I should use to do it? As for the Coolant bypass do you have a link to do it? I haven't worked on the Maxima in a long time, as it is parked and haven't used it that much. Need to do some brake job also, but that's another story.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Lontar1; 06-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
if you decide to clean your TB... please do not spray anything into or onto the TB. It should only be cleaned with a small soft wire brush and terrycloth towels that have TB cleaner or MAF cleaner on them.

if the TB is sprayed/flooded with carb/TB cleaner it will damage the IACV inside the housing and cause even more trouble than you already have.
my car is an 01, if I recall correctly the issue with the TB etc was with the 02-03 ones. I could be wrong but correct me if I'm wrong
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM

my car is an 01, if I recall correctly the issue with the TB etc was with the 02-03 ones. I could be wrong but correct me if I'm wrong
you're right, 02-03 is finicky and messing with the butterfly screws up idle and/or tb. but if i'm understanding him correctly i think he's saying in general it's a good idea not to flood the tb with cleaner but spray it on a towel or brush and clean with that instead. maybe spraying cleaner all over (inside) the tb could potentially damage the iacv on the 01