5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OPINION ---on 5 Gen Maxima's ?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM
acw

OPINION ---on 5 Gen Maxima's ?

Hey Buds,

I've had my Infiniti 03 I-35 (a Maxima with a few ext/int changes) for about 10 mths. Bought it with 85k miles. It needed an AC compressor when i purchased it...so i won't hold it against the car (but i did change it 3 times) and i replaced the a)alternator, b)Starter, c) and a few other items...NOW the Car needs,
  • New Coils,
  • New Starter (just replaced it 4 mths ago)
  • AC Control Issues (control doors change on me while riding)
BUT, it seems like the car ALWAYS needs something every 2-3 Mths.
  • The Ratings On Edmund's give it High 4 stars?
I sure as Hell don't want a Car Pmt., but i purchased a Used Car to try and Save Money. BUT, I'm not sure i can give it a fair rating at this point. Car has 95k on it...so i put 10k on it in last 10mths.
  • What's your overall rating of this car ?
~t
Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM

^
As the car gets old and ages, they are EXPENSIVE TO OWN. This isn't a Toyota or Honda where you can just do oil changes and the car will still run without throwing codes ><.Don't forget these cars typically hate aftermarket components too so you have to spend a fortune buying OEM.

On the other hand this is more of a "entry level" luxury sedan and equivalent models from Lexus/Acura/Infiniti etc have their share of problems.

This car is 'average' definitely not 'high'. Don't forget the vq35de oil burning issue which was never recalled.

Last edited by george__; 07-26-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM
acw

Thanks George.

Wow...look at the reliability ratings. Both Infinitis are on the Bottom but the Nissan is quite a bit higher...but still below Avg. (sigh).

Kia however, is at the Top....isn't that surprising !
Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by acw
Thanks George.

Wow...look at the reliability ratings. Both Infinitis are on the Bottom but the Nissan is quite a bit higher...but still below Avg. (sigh).

Have you noticed how Korean brands have gotten more expensive though?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM
acw

Originally Posted by george__
Have you noticed how Korean brands have gotten more expensive though?
True...Hyndai's and Kia's are expensive Rides. Just look at the Genesis.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 PM

Body must be decent though due to your location...
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by acw
Thanks George.

I think you are misinterpreting the chart. Lower number is better. Lower number means fewer problems per 100 vehicles. Thus infiniti is excellent, but I would not expect an I35 to be any more reliable than a Maxima (which is relatively reliable).

There a lot of little things with our cars that this forum has great resources on. It makes a large repair expense into a much smaller one.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM

I also have an I35 and yes, these cars will require attention as they get older. Right around 100K miles (coincidence?), the following issues cropped up on my car:

-Radiator leaked
-CEL came on for bad crank/cam sensors and PS sensor
-Car shifts a little rough on hotter days (might be linked to cam/crank sensors)
-Infamous PS high pressure hose has developed light leak
-Noise when AC's on; possibly from old serpentine belt
-Radiator support has started rusting out (expensive fix)
-Need new front brakes and rotors (maintenance)
-Valve cover gaskets seem to be leaking

Other issues in the 3 yrs I've had the car:

-Seized rear caliper
-New struts on all corners
-Tie rod ends
-Rattling noise which my mechanic says was from exhaust shield. Noise is still there even after he fixed/re-adjusted it. May also be motor mount.

I haven't experienced ignition coil and excessive oil consumption issues yet *knock on wood* which are common on these cars but I know they're coming in the future. I still really like my car because the body's in great shape and it rides smooth on the highway. If you aren't willing to do some wrenching on your own, these cars can become real expensive real fast. My advice is if you don't want to spend money on repairs every few months -- which will only get worse as the car ages more -- get a Honda or Toyota with a 4-beater. Time tested, bullet proof engines.

Last edited by mclasser; 07-27-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM

What you're experiencing isn't really typical of these cars.

The coils seem strange because the 3.5 doesn't usually eat them like some early 3.0 cars did.

Did you replace the parts with Nissan parts or cheap aftermarket? I've had good luck with aftermarket parts but you can't blame the car when an aftermarket part fails.

My wifes 00 has just under 300,000 and my modded 02 has over 200,000. We've had them since around 2003/2004. We're both on our original AC compressors and I just replaced her alternator.

There have been repairs of course but not too many. Especially considering the miles and age.

I wonder if your car sat for a long time. It does have very low mileage.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
acw

Originally Posted by rbaksi
I think you are misinterpreting the chart. Lower number is better. Lower number means fewer problems per 100 vehicles. Thus infiniti is excellent, but I would not expect an I35 to be any more reliable than a Maxima (which is relatively reliable).

There a lot of little things with our cars that this forum has great resources on. It makes a large repair expense into a much smaller one.
Hmmm...you might be Right. But look at the Kia on the Last Graph...comes in a 509 which is greater than the 500 scale ? ? ? Weird?

Originally Posted by mclasser
I also have an I35 and yes, these cars will require attention as they get older. Right around 100K miles (coincidence?), the following issues cropped up on my car:

-Radiator leaked
-CEL came on for bad crank/cam sensors and PS sensor
-Car shifts a little rough on hotter days (might be linked to cam/crank sensors)
-Infamous PS high pressure hose has developed light leak
-Noise when AC's on; possibly from old serpentine belt
-Radiator support has started rusting out (expensive fix)
-Need new front brakes and rotors (maintenance)
-Valve cover gaskets seem to be leaking

Other issues in the 3 yrs I've had the car:

-Seized rear caliper
-New struts on all corners
-Tie rod ends
-Rattling noise which my mechanic says was from exhaust shield. Noise is still there even after he fixed/re-adjusted it. May also be motor mount.

I haven't experienced ignition coil and excessive oil consumption issues yet *knock on wood* which are common on these cars but I know they're coming in the future. I still really like my car because the body's in great shape and it rides smooth on the highway. If you aren't willing to do some wrenching on your own, these cars can become real expensive real fast. My advice is if you don't want to spend money on repairs every few months -- which will only get worse as the car ages more -- get a Honda or Toyota with a 4-beater. Time tested, bullet proof engines.
Thanks Man...!

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
What you're experiencing isn't really typical of these cars.

The coils seem strange because the 3.5 doesn't usually eat them like some early 3.0 cars did.

Did you replace the parts with Nissan parts or cheap aftermarket? I've had good luck with aftermarket parts but you can't blame the car when an aftermarket part fails.

My wifes 00 has just under 300,000 and my modded 02 has over 200,000. We've had them since around 2003/2004. We're both on our original AC compressors and I just replaced her alternator.

There have been repairs of course but not too many. Especially considering the miles and age.

I wonder if your car sat for a long time. It does have very low mileage.
Been using OEM with lifetime warranties. Most LARGE parts stores DO NOT want to get involved with replacing lifetime parts as its definitely a losing money maker.

My car did sit for awhile----bought it from an old lady who couldn't drive anymore.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM

^
What's so weird about Kia/Hyundai quality?

Hyundai is HUGE and been around since at least WW2 in South Korea. Yes, the company got broken up in the early 2000s but some would argue Hyundai is still a chaebol... Once they learned from their Hyundai Pony fiasco they rebounded with the help of their enormous economical and political power

Last edited by george__; 07-27-2015 at 01:01 PM.