5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speedometer Stops at 25-30 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all, it's been a while since I've been on Maxima.org, however, seeing that I'm at 262,000 on my 01 20th anniversary max, I'll probably be visiting more often from here on out! My problem is the abs light is on and the speedometer won't go past 30 mph. Every other gauge in the instrument cluster works properly and the check engine light is not on. My VQ30 doesn't read the mph from the transmission meaning it doesn't have the pinion gear plug that goes in the top of the transmission like some do. My mph comes from the abs wheel speed sensor (which there is one for each wheel for a total of 4). My question is being that each sensor cost so much, is there one sensor in particular that reads the mph? I heard that one of them reads 0-30 mph, and then another reads from 30 mph on. I don't know if there is any truth to that. Anyway, I tried taking each sensor off and gently cleaning them with a soft tooth brush to remove any brake dust build up, etc... This didn't work so I'm guessing that one or more of the sensors are just plain bad and need to be replaced with new one(s). To replace all four were talking close to $500 in sensors with me doing the work. Does anyone know which sensor or sensors read the mph? My guess is the front drivers side or passenger side but I don't want to spend any money until I know for sure. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM

New cluster time
Old 07-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

N/a

Appreciate the feedback VQ30life... I hope that is the problem. The cluster is cheaper to replace than any one of those sensors and based on youtube video pretty easy to install. Found the 20th anniversary clusters on line for $108 recycled of course. I'll have to figure out which abs sensor is bad though.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM

Most likely the right rear one, I had this same problem. Just replaced the right rear sensor and I became a happy camper.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM

i just got done fixing this problem on my car. First thing is that from all that i have read it is only the front two sensors that register the speed for the speedo. Another thing is that it is likely reading half of your current driving speeds... this is because there are only two wheel sensors that register speed and one of the two is bad... Now for diagnosis...Here is the procedure for testing...

1. chock the back wheels... jack the front of the car and place on stands...

2. start the car and put it in gear. with the wheels spinning disconnect one of the two wheel sensors at the front of the car. They should be small grey connectors under the hood running down the side of the strut tower. only disconnect one! you can trace the sensor wire from the sensor if you are unsure.

3. go back inside the car and check your speedo. if it is still registering the same speed then that is the bad sensor. If the speedo drops to 0 then you know that sensor is working. Plug it back in and repeat this for the other front sensor. This may seem redundant, but if both sensors are functioning properly then you can be confident that the problem is somewhere else.

hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by hcarter1112
i just got done fixing this problem on my car. First thing is that from all that i have read it is only the front two sensors that register the speed for the speedo. Another thing is that it is likely reading half of your current driving speeds... This is because there are only two wheel sensors that register speed and one of the two is bad... Now for diagnosis...here is the procedure for testing...

1. Chock the back wheels... Jack the front of the car and place on stands...

2. Start the car and put it in gear. With the wheels spinning disconnect one of the two wheel sensors at the front of the car. They should be small grey connectors under the hood running down the side of the strut tower. Only disconnect one! You can trace the sensor wire from the sensor if you are unsure.

3. Go back inside the car and check your speedo. If it is still registering the same speed then that is the bad sensor. If the speedo drops to 0 then you know that sensor is working. Plug it back in and repeat this for the other front sensor. This may seem redundant, but if both sensors are functioning properly then you can be confident that the problem is somewhere else.

Hope this helps!
+1
Old 08-01-2015, 03:51 PM

So the anniversary editions only use the two front speed sensors? I know one of mine are the right rear which was my fix..
Good luck with the fix!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you guys for your input... it's been so freakin' hot outside for the past two weeks I can't spend more the 5 minutes outside even in a garage so I haven't got around to running the diagnosis described above. I'll get back to you when I do though. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM

My speedometer also doesn't go past 40 mph. I thought I only had one so I had my mechanic replace the left front side. So I'm still have the same problem. Can someone tell me how many speed sensors my 2K1?

Should I buy a new one or can I use the old one that my mechanic replaced? I kept it thinking it was still good because I still had the same problem.