5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Out of Alignment after new rear axel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Rear Out of Alignment after new rear axel

Had bushings leaking on rear beam 2002 Maxima. Had dealer replace beam, the first beam he installed was way out of toe spec and he had to replace. when I asked for wheel alignment print out I was told machine was out of paper and it was after hours. Today I went back and had complementary alignment check and behold it fails. Rear total toe just beyond spec of -.26 degrees and left rear camber just beyond -1.8 degrees. Service writer has me speak to mechanic who says the small difference will not cause any problems with tire wear. Car rides well. Should I be concerned? Car was in shop 3 Days because of second part order. If minor I would rather forget it.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM

I would first like to see what the camber/toe specs might be on both sides.
Reason I ask is that if both sides are similar, I see no problems, but if one side is vastly different than the other then there might be a concern.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I would first like to see what the camber/toe specs might be on both sides.
Reason I ask is that if both sides are similar, I see no problems, but if one side is vastly different than the other then there might be a concern.

They do a four Wheel Alignment Check in the service check-in area complimentary. The print out gives Total toe only (not left and right). Actual is an arrow indicating where it. but no numeric value.

Rear Total Toe Spec -.26 to +.44 degrees, arrow looks to be -.28 degrees
Rear Camber Left Spec -.3 to -1.8 degrees, looks like -1.9 degrees
Rear Camber Right Spec -1.8 to -.3 degrees, looks like -1.6 degrees
Old beam had alignment check 2 months ago before bushing failure, check was at same dealer and all readings were close to center of spec range.
Thanks
Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Never liked anything outside the factory specs, but the camber is so negligible on the one side can't believe there would be a problem, same as the toe, but would be nice to see the individual values as the total toe is quite misleading as conceivably you could have +.2 & -.30 with a total -.28.
Don't believe this would be the case so I would just go with the installation and drive the car.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-29-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 PM

FYI, don't see how rear can be out of spec, since they are not adjustable since it's a solid beam axle. Only thing can be worn out bushing on the trailing arm, lateral link bushing or the strut is bent.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Or damage to the beam itself. I would assume the units are out of salvaged vehicles with no history available.
Personally, I would have repaired the original unit unless it was cost prohibitive.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
FYI, don't see how rear can be out of spec, since they are not adjustable since it's a solid beam axle. Only thing can be worn out bushing on the trailing arm, lateral link bushing or the strut is bent.
Dealer claimed first one came in probably misaligned from shipping. I crawled under car second one is new with Nisan decals for identification. As there are no adjustments only explanation I can have it is again out of spec from shipping/handling.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:41 PM

If that was new and out of alignment due to shipping/handling it would have needed to endure some major mishandling.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If that was new and out of alignment due to shipping/handling it would have needed to endure some major mishandling.
I am going to return to dealer on Monday to speak to service Manager. I feel something isn't right. When I picked up car I requested alignment print out and was told machine was out of paper and it was close to closing on Saturday. I returned and got the quick alignment check in the check in area, not the alignment service would have performed and was listed on my bill that would have listed toe by wheel and not just total toe.
I have been bull****ted by mechanics in the past and suspect more of the same. Rear total toe is not that bad but I don't know if one side is way out or not. By the time my tires would show significant wear ( I don't drive but 6000 miles per year) they will tell me another story. I thank you very much for your help
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM

Take it to an independent to have alignment performed.
Check papers for specials. This way you'll have the service
performed on another rack, and if out of spec you'll have
proof to give to the dealer.
If in spec you'll be a happy camper and won't need to deal
with the dealer.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:10 PM

Found time to go back to dealer today. The service manager ordered a new wheel alinement check and after seeing results ordered new rear beam to be installed next week. Results of alignment check was worse than I expected. Right rear toe was -.46 degrees. Thanks for pointing out to see the difference on left and right and no just total.
This will be the 3rd beam installed to correct the bushing leak. I should have found a shop that could replace bushing.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:03 AM

If you get a chance, measure the distance between the middle of the front wheel and the middle of the rear wheel on each side and see if there is a difference.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 AM

Turbonut -
Finally got car back after 3rd beam installed. I marked them so I know it is the 3rd. They claim they tweaked it by adjusting the give in the bolt holes until it came into spec. They worked after hours to complete.
I don't know if I trust it is right. before last beam change I measured the distance from each rear tire leading edge to the fender lip, driver side is about 1/4 inch wider, before and after part change. I've owned car since new, never an accident, no sign of damage underneath. I can't see how this could be as beam is fixed length and bolted to car. Before first beam I did notice driver rear tire wear on inside edge, all other tires perfect. could have been long standing problem, tires not rotated in 20k. Attached is copy of alignment. Thrust angle is .09, other than that looks good. car rides well. Do you think I should be concerned? I believe dealer has done all that I could expect.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 AM

Thought I posted a reply last night but I guess it went into never-never land????????????????
After third install looks pretty good, one wheel toe in, one wheel toe out, but both only slightly and within spec.
Always like to check the wheel to wheel dimensions as most can be compromised through accidents, or just plain wear,
but as you are the original owner would have liked to see a before alignment spec to see if same condition existed.
Many, many years ago, we would add shims, washers, elongate bolt holes, bend, weld, etc. anything just to keep the beaters
running and in spec.
Looks like a slight modification was the only way the dealership was able to to get the beam in spec.

Glad it's finally done.