5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking for a few part/fixes for the 5.5 I just picked up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:31 AM

Looking for a few part/fixes for the 5.5 I just picked up

So I just pick up a 02 6mt in silver. Its in good shape but I need to address a few things.

I need to replaced a fog lamp housing, its got a shattered lense. I am going to hit up a junk yard but was also wanting to find a pair of yellow housing possibly instead of buying yellow bulbs.

Stereo- The previous own installed a cheap Boss touch screen and I hate it I dont like not having steering wheel controls not working. I was thinking of installed a factory Nav head unit.... thoughts?

Its an SE so it has the "body kit" The passenger rocker section has all but 3 of the clips broken (on the panel not on the car) Can I just epoxy the section back on to the car?

My radiator overflow tank is cracked to high heck, I assume this is an easy replacment.

I have been wanting to do the Ghetto Airbox Mod, I have found a few threads talking about it but they are so old that the pictures are unavailable, any one got a pic?

On the lights........all my previous Maximas have been 4th gen, I am new to the lights on an 02. I have regular bulbs for the high beems and Xenons for the lows, correct? Are my fogs standard bulbs or Xenon?

I am sure I will come across a few more things Man its so nice to be back to Maxima world I have a Subaru OBS and while it was a great car......110hp SUCKS
Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 AM

my $0.02 on some of these

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Stereo- The previous own installed a cheap Boss touch screen and I hate it I dont like not having steering wheel controls not working. I was thinking of installed a factory Nav head unit.... thoughts?
probably not worth the headache for factory nav. if i remember right i think a lot of the wiring changes from the stock harnesses, also being as old as it is maps would be outdated and technology at the time wasn't easy to download new maps and upgrade. if you're set on nav i'd look at aftermarket options, otherwise just replace the hu

My radiator overflow tank is cracked to high heck, I assume this is an easy replacment.
just addressed this on mine, it was a very easy replacement on my 2000, in stock at aap, i think it was dorman brand. i think the install consisted of 2 bolts and pulling the hose off the radiator

I have been wanting to do the Ghetto Airbox Mod, I have found a few threads talking about it but they are so old that the pictures are unavailable, any one got a pic?
what i remember reading is drilling is preferred to coathanger method, similar to this picture from google:

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Awesome thanks. I was seeing the same thing for the NAV, I may just look for the OEM Bose head unit. I really want the steering wheel controls back.

As far as my search for parts, is pretty much everything interchangeable between the 5th gen and 5.5's? I know the motors are different, but would the reserve tank, fog light housing ect be the same?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Also, did you use a 1 inch hole saw for the GAB?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Awesome thanks. I was seeing the same thing for the NAV, I may just look for the OEM Bose head unit. I really want the steering wheel controls back.

As far as my search for parts, is pretty much everything interchangeable between the 5th gen and 5.5's? I know the motors are different, but would the reserve tank, fog light housing ect be the same?
not sure about about that, i think there's enough subtle differences in the 5/5.5 parts to be a pain in the butt. i think a lot of stuff can be modified to work but not everything will be plug and play.

for example i was going to link you some yellow fogs i have been eyeing, but checked for both 5 and 5.5 gen and they seem to be different for 5.5

it is probably worth it to do some extra research before just grabbing things at the junkyard. if it were me i'd search part numbers and see if they were the same for both model years if there was something specific i was after. theres a lot of good information and how to's on this site as well to interchange things between model years but it can be frustrating to dig through old threads and find a bunch of broken links and images (as you've already found out looking at the GAB mod).

Also, did you use a 1 inch hole saw for the GAB?
not my pic sorry, never got around to doing this. i'd just measure between the tabs on the top of the air filter piece and size my drill bit accordingly