5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Messed up Front wheel bearing

Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Messed up Front wheel bearing

I was working on project "restoration" on my Maxima for the past year. replacing all the rubber bushing, suspension component, struts, mounts. etc... now I am putting in all new wheel bearings, even there's nothing wrong with them but considering the car is 14 yrs old since I had her new, and 79k miles on my odo. I thought, I might as well throw in the new bearings and I'm good for the next 15 yrs, heheheh. Well here what I ran into, kind of when down hill, I got my hub pressed out by a shop then I got my FWD bearing press and popped out the old one. I refinished my steering knuckle since it looks a bit old looking and some slight rusting, I popped off the brake dust shield and clean and repainted with black enamel engine paint. Here comes putting it all together, I pressed in my first bearing in, with no issues on both knuckles. and the snap ring in, then put the dust shield back on, now where it went downhill, the first hub I pressed in, and seem like everything went smooth, til I asked myself, how far the hub should be going in??? then when I realized I heard a popped, I backed it off and took the tool off, the back side of the bearing was popped out and almost like the race bearing separated inside, I was peeved I thought I put too much force with the breaker bar. I was like $hit!! now I need to get a new bearing. So I proceed to do the second knuckle, worried I might do the same. So I went ahead and did it but aware how much forced I press in my hub, and then backed it off, and it was pressed in perfectly. Did anyone experience that problem a new bearing messed up and end up getting a redo with a new bearing??? BTW I will take some pictures of them tonight and post so all of you can see what I have done and what experience I had with the one bearing popped.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I didn't have that happen. But, there are a few issues that can occur with replacing bearings. One common issue is if you try to replace a bearing despite damage to the knuckle where the bearing sits. The bearing may not sit right causing additional problems like shorter lifespan or may become damaged when installed.

For me, the shop I had press them in messed up the driver's side. I don't know if they overpressed it or installed it despite damage to the knuckle. But, after they did, the bearing looked like it may have seperated. I thought it was okay because the inside race pushed back together easily. It made no noise. But, soon after I began experiencing the axle nut becoming loose. This would cause the axle and hub assembly and rotor to lean in at the top. All sorts of noises began to occur. I ended up having to put locktight on the nut to keep it on. It is making horrible noises now - indicating the bearing is bad after about two years. I'm looking at replacing the whole thing now.

Hopefully you got a good replacement and you can make an argument for them to replace it under warranty.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:02 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I havent gotten back on here since it was a busy weekend. I am trying to post some pictures on the projects I was working on but seem like there no options on there to post or attach the fille ugh
Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Photobucket.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:38 PM

The inner race CAN seperate, do not put it back in. There was more than likely an install issue, either it went in funny ei: even a little crooked OR you overpressed it. It happens trust me. I've done it a couple times myself on customers cars... WHICH sucks.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

install error.
that should never have happened.
when i press in wheel bearings, i support the inner race with a large socket, so when i am pressing in the bearing and the hub, it does not destroy the race.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 PM

http://photobucket.com/share/links?u...ml%3Fsrc%3Dpb;
yeah the first one I did over pressed it. The second one perfect. I learned my lesson so I popped out the first one and got a new bearing but the race on the hub is a pain in **** to get it off.
here the photo finally at last

Last edited by FanaticMadMax; 08-10-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: trying to link my photo
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM

Here the rest of the pictures, I had to put a link from my album since this site stop letting to embed pictures anymore. https://maxima.org/g/album/4050489