5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima - ECM Fuse Keeps Blowing

Old 08-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima - ECM Fuse Keeps Blowing

The ECM fuse (the one next to the battery) keeps blowing...blows even when the key is not in ignition. So here is the history that leads to this point...notice a horrible sound from motor...sounded like bearings going bad in a pulley. Hot day air conditioner stopped blowing cold air...that night driving home the car started loosing power lights dimmed etc...just like the battery was going dead or the alternator was bad. I thought for sure it was the alternator as i have had several put me on the side of the road at midnight. Managed to get the car to a friends house that night. Got a fresh battery in the daytime and drove car home. car started find, drove fine but just felt a lil funny. Looked for belt but it was nowhere to be found so i guess i drove it home without the belt (serpintine belt...ac belt/alternator belt). removed alt, had it checked at parts store, they checked twice and said it was fine. We determined that the ac compressure pulley or whatever was the problem, bought a belt to bypass ac compressor...but the belt on. So im ready to be back on the road...right? wrong. when we put the battery in it blew the ecm fuse right off...tried another fuse blowed again...key not even in ignition...also unhooked aternator the 2nd time but fuse still blew. battery light and brake light indicator did come on in the past but would turn off and did turn on again that night it broke down with me. but the fuse has never beeen a problem, please help
Old 08-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Do you mean bcm?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Sounds like maybe a dead short somewhere on that circuit. As for the compressor it can cause the car to stall if the compressor clutch is seized or may just cause the clutch to burn up.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Do you mean bcm?
im not sure...its a big fuse by the battery. This fuse seems to shut the car down...it blows as soon as you connect the battery...key not even in the car.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Sounds like maybe a dead short somewhere on that circuit. As for the compressor it can cause the car to stall if the compressor clutch is seized or may just cause the clutch to burn up.
thank you. At the point i'm not concerned about the compressor...i trying to determine why this fuse keeps blowing. its the only car i have...im stranded at home.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Is this "big fuse" on the battery cable and rated at 120 amps? If so, it is not the ECM or BCM fuse, it is the main fuse for the car.

If it is, then re-check the big wire wire to the alternator. While you say you have disconnected it, follow it back into the main wire harness. Maybe it got pinched between something while you were installing the alternator.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Is this "big fuse" on the battery cable and rated at 120 amps? If so, it is not the ECM or BCM fuse, it is the main fuse for the car.

If it is, then re-check the big wire wire to the alternator. While you say you have disconnected it, follow it back into the main wire harness. Maybe it got pinched between something while you were installing the alternator.
OK. Thank you. As soon as I can get someone to check it..and let y'all know.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you ever get this resolved?

Originally Posted by tsi6001
The ECM fuse (the one next to the battery) keeps blowing...blows even when the key is not in ignition. So here is the history that leads to this point...notice a horrible sound from motor...sounded like bearings going bad in a pulley. Hot day air conditioner stopped blowing cold air...that night driving home the car started loosing power lights dimmed etc...just like the battery was going dead or the alternator was bad. I thought for sure it was the alternator as i have had several put me on the side of the road at midnight. Managed to get the car to a friends house that night. Got a fresh battery in the daytime and drove car home. car started find, drove fine but just felt a lil funny. Looked for belt but it was nowhere to be found so i guess i drove it home without the belt (serpintine belt...ac belt/alternator belt). removed alt, had it checked at parts store, they checked twice and said it was fine. We determined that the ac compressure pulley or whatever was the problem, bought a belt to bypass ac compressor...but the belt on. So im ready to be back on the road...right? wrong. when we put the battery in it blew the ecm fuse right off...tried another fuse blowed again...key not even in ignition...also unhooked aternator the 2nd time but fuse still blew. battery light and brake light indicator did come on in the past but would turn off and did turn on again that night it broke down with me. but the fuse has never beeen a problem, please help
My husbands car is doing a lot of this same stuff. Did you ever get this accurately diagnosed and/or fixed? Albeit my husbands car is a 2006 but I have been searching forums, threads everywhere and this is the closest description of what's going on with his maxima. It first blew this main fuse (the fusible link on the positive battery terminal) like maybe 6 months ago so we replaced it, no problem. Then about 3 months ago, it blew again so we got it replaced again. Obviously the car dies everytime this happens.

Then last week, I was trying to get an appt with firestone auto repair because the temperature gauge had been going above the middle and we had to put coolant in it multiple times over the next few days. We thought that the coolant replacement would at least hold it over until our appt at firestone (realizing that there must be a leak obviously and thought that must be what is causing the car to overheat). Then last week on a really hot day, I got stuck on a bridge because the bridge was up and the temp was going up and up and I got so nervous because I couldn't go anywhere so I just turned my car off. Then when the bridge went back down, I tried to start the car and IT WAS DEAD. ON A 1 WAY BRIDGE. WITH 10 CARS STUCK BEHIND ME AND 2 KIDS IN MY CAR 😭. Eventually some men helped me push the car off the bridge, into the city. I realized that it was acting exactly how it did before when that 120 amp fuse was blown. So I checked it and yup it was blown. My husband got there from work and replaced the fusible link terminal piece, topped off the coolant and at that point we were going straight to firestone (3 miles away) for them to get to it when they could. Literally 5 mins into driving, the heat started going up and up and before I could pull over, the car died in the damn freeway. Fuse blown AGAINNN. I gave up and had it towed the rest of the way.
Firestone said they have no idea what it is and told me just to buy a new car. I'm not about to just throw in the towel without at least being mostly sure that the car is a goner. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, the alternator is maybe like 6 months old and it's paid off so if you have any helpful info, I'd super appreciate it!
Old 07-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SavageThrifter
My husbands car is doing a lot of this same stuff. Did you ever get this accurately diagnosed and/or fixed? Albeit my husbands car is a 2006 but I have been searching forums, threads everywhere and this is the closest description of what's going on with his maxima. It first blew this main fuse (the fusible link on the positive battery terminal) like maybe 6 months ago so we replaced it, no problem. Then about 3 months ago, it blew again so we got it replaced again. Obviously the car dies everytime this happens.

Then last week, I was trying to get an appt with firestone auto repair because the temperature gauge had been going above the middle and we had to put coolant in it multiple times over the next few days. We thought that the coolant replacement would at least hold it over until our appt at firestone (realizing that there must be a leak obviously and thought that must be what is causing the car to overheat). Then last week on a really hot day, I got stuck on a bridge because the bridge was up and the temp was going up and up and I got so nervous because I couldn't go anywhere so I just turned my car off. Then when the bridge went back down, I tried to start the car and IT WAS DEAD. ON A 1 WAY BRIDGE. WITH 10 CARS STUCK BEHIND ME AND 2 KIDS IN MY CAR 😭. Eventually some men helped me push the car off the bridge, into the city. I realized that it was acting exactly how it did before when that 120 amp fuse was blown. So I checked it and yup it was blown. My husband got there from work and replaced the fusible link terminal piece, topped off the coolant and at that point we were going straight to firestone (3 miles away) for them to get to it when they could. Literally 5 mins into driving, the heat started going up and up and before I could pull over, the car died in the damn freeway. Fuse blown AGAINNN. I gave up and had it towed the rest of the way.
Firestone said they have no idea what it is and told me just to buy a new car. I'm not about to just throw in the towel without at least being mostly sure that the car is a goner. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, the alternator is maybe like 6 months old and it's paid off so if you have any helpful info, I'd super appreciate it!

Did the fuse start blowing after you replaced the alternator? My fuse blew after removing the alternator to have it checked to see if it was good or bad. Its been several years ago but im pretty sure it was something stupid like when putting the alternator back in the car, the wires were hooked up wrong on the alternator or pinched....i would suggest having someone check the wiring from the alternator......the big wire to the alternator ,check to see if its pinched, kinked up somewhere or bare wire exposed. I feel pretty sure it has something to do with your alternator being replaced about 6 months ago you said and then the fuse started blowing about 6 months ago.....

As far as your temp gauge and car on verge of running hot....idk
Old 01-26-2021, 11:18 AM

2003 maxima

I was sitting at a light and all of my dash lights came on and car died it started but slowly sputtered to get me off the road. Went back next day it didnt start but turned over towed it home and then the battery was dead and would not charge. Im on battery number 3 afraid to hook it up because it will drain but i cant find the problem with no power. Changed the fuel pump thinking it was a fuel problem. The security light by the clock blinks when it does get power. Im very frustrated because i really dont know what im doing and this car is not worth paying alot of money taking it to a shop and my male friends dont know how to work on cars so any help would be so appreciated.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Penny Rae Brunson
I was sitting at a light and all of my dash lights came on and car died it started but slowly sputtered to get me off the road. Went back next day it didnt start but turned over towed it home and then the battery was dead and would not charge. Im on battery number 3 afraid to hook it up because it will drain but i cant find the problem with no power. Changed the fuel pump thinking it was a fuel problem. The security light by the clock blinks when it does get power. Im very frustrated because i really dont know what im doing and this car is not worth paying alot of money taking it to a shop and my male friends dont know how to work on cars so any help would be so appreciated.
brake pedal stopper? check the floor board by the drivers side mat. If theres a black stopper it means your tail lights keep draining your battery. The tail lights maybe wired direct so even after you turn your car off they may stay on. ICR though
Old 01-28-2021, 03:20 PM

The first thing I wouldve suggested wouldve been a bad alternator.
I wouldve assumed even the the tow truck driver could've given you that.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any solution to this?

I'm having similar issues on my 2016 maxima. Any solution found?