5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tensioner pulley washer loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 PM

Tensioner pulley washer loose

Hey guys, been hearing a metal on metal noise for a few weeks. Nothing serious but kind of a vibration type of noise. Came from pulley area so I was worried but today I finally noticed the washer on the tensioner pulley arm, and when I watch it in concurrence with my revs it's spot on.

So, what's the deal? It seems useless. I almost JB weeded it before I noticed it was a pulley part so I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with this before I did anything.

It's just annoying it sounds like my car is a POS when I'm in traffic and it's frustrating.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 02PearlSE
Hey guys, been hearing a metal on metal noise for a few weeks. Nothing serious but kind of a vibration type of noise. Came from pulley area so I was worried but today I finally noticed the washer on the tensioner pulley arm, and when I watch it in concurrence with my revs it's spot on. So, what's the deal? It seems useless. I almost JB weeded it before I noticed it was a pulley part so I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with this before I did anything. It's just annoying it sounds like my car is a POS when I'm in traffic and it's frustrating.
Has your alternator or belts been replaced recently?? Or has the tensioner pulley been removed for any reason???
Old 09-16-2015, 04:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mattx
Has your alternator or belts been replaced recently?? Or has the tensioner pulley been removed for any reason???
Can somebody help me with a assembly layout of the idler pulley
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by sprater23
Can somebody help me with a assembly layout of the idler pulley
Hint: It's the 1st image in google.

Replace the pulley. Don't use the dayco. It's junk (bearings were falling out on mine). Gates has been great.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:22 PM

Haven't touched any of the pulleys or belt since I got it about a month and a half ago. Belt is good and pulleys are good aside from the washer. It rattles loud enough to frustrate me so what's the next move?

Can I not just JB it on the bracket where it sits?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Haven't touched any of the pulleys or belt since I got it about a month and a half ago. Belt is good and pulleys are good aside from the washer. It rattles loud enough to frustrate me so what's the next move?

Can I not just JB it on the bracket where it sits?
IF there's nothing wrong with the pulley, then some idiot must have installed it wrong. Nothing can move when installed correctly.

If the nut is tight, then remove it and inspect pulley. Replace if it makes noise when you spin it by hand or has resistance. Reassemble it correctly. The small shield goes on the back and larger one on the front.

Here's what the assembly looks like.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-16-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
IF there's nothing wrong with the pulley, then some idiot must have installed it wrong. Nothing can move when installed correctly.

If the nut is tight, then remove it and inspect pulley. Replace if it makes noise when you spin it by hand or has resistance. Reassemble it correctly. The small shield goes on the back and larger one on the front.

Here's what the assembly looks like.
Ahhhh....okay well I appreciate your info but let me clarify. I'm not talking about either of those shimmies, there's a washer on the shaft. It's sitting below the bolt, on the bottom of the bracket just kind of sitting there vibrating and it doesn't appear to have any use in its current placement.

EDIT: The bolt shoulder is where it is sitting currently. Not on the bracket surrounding the bolt.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:57 PM

Ahhhh....okay well I appreciate your info but let me clarify. I'm not talking about either of those shimmies, there's a washer on the shaft. It's sitting below the bolt, on the bottom of the bracket just kind of sitting there vibrating and it doesn't appear to have any use in its current placement. EDIT: The bolt shoulder is where it is sitting currently. Not on the bracket surrounding the bolt.
It should look like exactly the same as picture if not it was assembled wrong.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
It should look like exactly the same as picture if not it was assembled wrong.
Alright. Checked things again while holding the washer down and the noise is still audible. I'm guessing it's the pulley itself.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 AM

You have the right cover on the right side right? When you put the pulley on you're sure that it's going all the way on right? Cause it has to sit all the way up on that bolt. If you're sure it's right then it must be something wrong with bearing possibly to make noise. It shouldn't make an noise
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 AM

Alright. Checked things again while holding the washer down and the noise is still audible. I'm guessing it's the pulley itself.
I don't think I understand exactly what you're saying. Probably you're having the same problem. I would recommend taking the entire thing off and putting it back on. It sounds to me that it's not correctly put on. It's hard to understand exactly what you're saying.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 AM

This should help you out. Start watching at 8 minutes