5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Maxima 6 spd or 2003 g35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 AM

5.5 Maxima 6 spd or 2003 g35 sedan

So I am looking to buy either a 5.5 gen maxima 6 spd or a 03 g35 sedan. I know the g35 handles better, and is rear wheel drive. But in my budget i could only afford a G with an auto. If i were to get the Maxima it would be stick, which is something I do want. What would u guys do in my shoes? Is there ways to lessen the amount of torque steer in the Maxima? I also heard a RSB does wonders for it's handling too. The G35 will give me better handling and more of a sport feel. But the Maxima might be quicker? idk I never looked into it, it is also fwd so during the snow times it would be easier to drive and it seems to be generally about 500-800$ cheaper than a G. I need help guys, I know this is a Maxima forum so i am expecting a little bias, or maybe similar stories lol
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 AM

The 6-speed Maxima is definitely faster. I've raced G sedans in my car and driven several of them. They're nice cars but feel heavy.
Getting a Maxima with HLSD makes a world of difference in handling, torque steer and wet/slippery driving. I swapped a HLSD tranny into mine and it really transformed the car. A tranny with HLSD from a 6th gen is a direct swap.

The Maxima responds well to suspension upgrades and can be made to handle pretty well.

A 6-speed Maxima with headers, intake, suspension and a tune is a fun car to drive. It's funny to look in the rear view and see "fast" cars getting smaller as they try to chase you up the interstate ramps.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
The 6-speed Maxima is definitely faster. I've raced G sedans in my car and driven several of them. They're nice cars but feel heavy.
Getting a Maxima with HLSD makes a world of difference in handling, torque steer and wet/slippery driving. I swapped a HLSD tranny into mine and it really transformed the car. A tranny with HLSD from a 6th gen is a direct swap.

The Maxima responds well to suspension upgrades and can be made to handle pretty well.

A 6-speed Maxima with headers, intake, suspension and a tune is a fun car to drive. It's funny to look in the rear view and see "fast" cars getting smaller as they try to chase you up the interstate ramps.
Thanks for the input. I would love an hlsd but its rare to come by. and being on a college budget and tranny swap might not be in the cards, but who knows. So without the hlsd is the torque steer as bad as people make it out to be? I am coming from driving an Frs so i am used to a great handling rwd car. Im just afraid the maxima would be too far off in the handling department. I do enjoy the looks of the maxima better than the g and knowing it is faster in a straight line is nice, since nyc doesnt have many curvy roads.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by thatcollegestudent
Thanks for the input. I would love an hlsd but its rare to come by. and being on a college budget and tranny swap might not be in the cards, but who knows. So without the hlsd is the torque steer as bad as people make it out to be? I am coming from driving an Frs so i am used to a great handling rwd car. Im just afraid the maxima would be too far off in the handling department. I do enjoy the looks of the maxima better than the g and knowing it is faster in a straight line is nice, since nyc doesnt have many curvy roads.
maximas do not handle well stock. they are heavy boats. so are the g35s. you wont be happy with the handling on either car since youre coming from an FRS so dont let vague ideas of which car has better handling be the deciding factor

sounds like you enjoy the looks of the maxima better. it's also manual which you prefer, and cheaper. easy choice. go for the maxima
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by viking89
maximas do not handle well stock. they are heavy boats. so are the g35s. you wont be happy with the handling on either car since youre coming from an FRS so dont let vague ideas of which car has better handling be the deciding factor

sounds like you enjoy the looks of the maxima better. it's also manual which you prefer, and cheaper. easy choice. go for the maxima
So I guess the g has better handling than the maxima but it sucks compared to an frs. And i dont want a miata, thats too small and no back seats. Might be swaying towards a maxima. only if the g's handling isnt as great as some forums makes it seem. and the torque on the max isnt as atrocious as every makes it sound. Thanks for the input though
Old 09-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Torque steer isn't that bad in the maxima. It was much worse on my 02 sentra ser spec v
Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by losifanatic
Torque steer isn't that bad in the maxima. It was much worse on my 02 sentra ser spec v
I never experienced torque steer so I have no way to judge how much torque steer is bad. I read that oddly enough some people enjoy torque steer but I don't see myself as being one of those few. But who knows
Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So I guess the g has better handling than the maxima but it sucks compared to an frs. And i dont want a miata, thats too small and no back seats. Might be swaying towards a maxima. only if the g's handling isnt as great as some forums makes it seem. and the torque on the max isnt as atrocious as every makes it sound. Thanks for the input though
You sound a bit new to this handling game. A BMW M5 handles great, but it will never handle like a Mazda Miata. Simple physics. Lighter is always better. RWD is better than FWD in terms of handling, but those differences only come about once the tire loses grip. In street type driving, you almost never push your car that far. Therefore, the FWD and RWD differences will not show up. On the track however, RWD really comes alive compared to FWD.

Yeah, this is a Maxima site. I love manuals, so GET THE MAXIMA. The difference betteen non HSLD and HSLD only comes into play when pulling out of corners hard. OK, maybe some straight line advantages too for HLSD. non HSLD and HSLD don't address torque steer. They address applying power to both front wheels as opposed to one, the left or the right.

An HLSD 6 speed is the holy grail, but even a regular non hlsd 6-speed gets you about 85% the same fun factor. Dont let it discourage you.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:26 PM

RWD!
RWD!
RWD!
AWD!
AWD!
AWD!

Lol

But the Maxima is a good car too and bit bigger inside imo against same year g35.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM

Bringing back a somewhat dead thread. But I'm extremely indecisive lol. I do know I would really want a manual but i would settle for the auto in the g if i knew the handling was worlds away from that of the maxima. Coming from the frs i know i won't be able to get the same satisfaction in either. but i do want a decent handling car that i can autocross from time to time. So is the maxima's handling so horrendous compared to the g? or could a RSB, some springs, and struts make the difference between the two small. I know i would love RWD better but fwd would be more practical for the daily. And i do want a manual. Basically what I'm asking is if I got a RSB, springs, struts and maybe spacers for the maxima would it handle well in a good range of the g. Because i love the maxima's look a bit better, i love that it's faster and i love that its manual. I don't love fwd, torque steer or horrible handling compared to the g. Any further input or opinions would help
Old 10-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Bringing back a somewhat dead thread. But I'm extremely indecisive lol. I do know I would really want a manual but i would settle for the auto in the g if i knew the handling was worlds away from that of the maxima. Coming from the frs i know i won't be able to get the same satisfaction in either. but i do want a decent handling car that i can autocross from time to time. So is the maxima's handling so horrendous compared to the g? or could a RSB, some springs, and struts make the difference between the two small. I know i would love RWD better but fwd would be more practical for the daily. And i do want a manual. Basically what I'm asking is if I got a RSB, springs, struts and maybe spacers for the maxima would it handle well in a good range of the g. Because i love the maxima's look a bit better, i love that it's faster and i love that its manual. I don't love fwd, torque steer or horrible handling compared to the g. Any further input or opinions would help
What are u looking for out of the car?? Is the g two door?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:23 PM

If you're looking for handling then rwd g is the obvious choice.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
If you're looking for handling then rwd g is the obvious choice.
It would be the sedan. Im looking for the car with the best overall package. I want a good daily but I also want a fun car. The g would be the best for handling. But I was just wondering after some mods could the maxima handling be as good as the G. if so then i would go for the maxima.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 PM

It would be the sedan. Im looking for the car with the best overall package. I want a good daily but I also want a fun car. The g would be the best for handling. But I was just wondering after some mods could the maxima handling be as good as the G. if so then i would go for the maxima.
I don't think you're ever going to get a fwd to handle as well as a rwd. I personally would go g. The power difference can be made up and the g has a much better aftermarket supply.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM

07-08 g35 please
Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Since this is a debate of preference. I love MTs but they interfere with handling which should require both hands IMHO. So I agree with the person previously who said as you love handling go with the G.

That said I would still take the MT over because of the weight gain and lower maintenance costs. If you don't have a problem with either of those then definitely the G.

Recently saw a video of a Cayman with and with/out MT (the car I expect to buy next year - still love my Maxima) driven by comparable drivers and in the curves the MT won but off the line the AT won. No surprise as the AT car had DCT. The 2003 G does not have DCT but it would be close due to the slightly greater weight offset by the RWD and "expected" engine tuning.

You should also consider longer term resale if you intend to resell. While I love my car, the resale on the G35 is probably higher - but I have not checked so don't take my statement for fact.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ajahearn
Since this is a debate of preference. I love MTs but they interfere with handling which should require both hands IMHO. So I agree with the person previously who said as you love handling go with the G....
It's a tradeoff. With a manual, you have full control of what the car does. Autos have a tendency to change gears when you don't want them to.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM

If the manual vs. auto is that big a deal, get the transgo for the g and you won't ever think about the manual again.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM

I love my maxima, though I've contemplated selling it many times because of the automatic. If it had a 3.5 and a 6speed.. I would keep that thing forever