5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power Window Failure: Need Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM

Power Window Failure: Need Guidance

Hi guys,

So at 12 years old, 269,000 miles, I have my first window problem. That's awesome and not so much...

Okay, so I rolled the driver's window down last night, went all the way down, then when I tried to roll it up, nothing happens. I didn't hear any pops, when I try the switch I don't hear any sounds (motor, etc.), and it worked great until it didn't work at all.

All three other windows work fine.

Before I go throwing parts at it, can I get a little guidance as to what to check first?

1. Switch: how would I test this?

2. Motor and/or regulator - are these two separate things, or one thing that's called by both names? Best way to test this?

3. I heard/read about some sort of "module": what does this refer to? Is this the switch cluster in the driver's door, or something else?

4. Finally, are all these parts interchangeable between the 2000-2003s?

Thanks in advance - right now it's sitting with the window stuck DOWN and black plastic taped over. Not supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow, so at least that's a positive!

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jsmith24
Before I go throwing parts at it, can I get a little guidance as to what to check first?

1. Switch: how would I test this?
You would need a volt meter to check and see if the switch is sending power to the motor. Pop the window switch out of the door panel. You don't need to remove the door panel itself. There are 2 wire harness connectors plugged into the window switch.

On the big connector, one of the corners has a solid blue wire. This is pin 8. Three wires over from this is pin 11, a solid green wire. Connect one of the volt meter's test leads to the blue wire and the other one to the green wire. It does not matter which volt meter test lead goes to which wire.

With the volt meter connected, press the button to make the window go up or down. If the switch is sending power to the motor, the volt meter will show approx 12 volts. In one direction it will show a positive 12 volts, in the other direction it will show a negative 12 volts.

So if the switch is sending voltage for both directions, you have a bad motor. If you don't get a voltage reading from the switch, it is the switch that is bad.

2. Motor and/or regulator - are these two separate things, or one thing that's called by both names? Best way to test this?
These are 2 separate parts that can be bought separately or together as an assembly. The regulator is like an elevator and the glass is the passenger that rides up and down in it. The motor is the power to move things.

In your case I don't think the problem is the regulator. If the regulator were bad, you should hear the motor turning. Secondly, if the regulator were bad, you would be able to move the glass by hand.

3. I heard/read about some sort of "module": what does this refer to? Is this the switch cluster in the driver's door, or something else?
Not sure about this as it is kind of vague. Maybe it is a reference to the old Body Control Module which is called the SECU (Smart Entrance Control Unit) in the 5th gen Maxima. It is possible (I think) for the SECU to cause this kind of problem, but with the other windows working, I rather doubt it.

4. Finally, are all these parts interchangeable between the 2000-2003s?
NO. Some are but not all. The window switch is different for each year of the 5th gen Maxima, so only a window switch for a 2003 will work in your car. But the motor and regulator are the same for all the years.

Last edited by DennisMik; 09-18-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Thank you, DennisMik, for such a thoroughly helpful answer. It's 1:00 a.m. now, but first thing in the daylight hours I'll be outside with the voltmeter.

Thanks...wish there were something more I could say to show my gratitude!

Jack
Richmond, Va.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You would need a volt meter to check and see if the switch is sending power to the motor. Pop the window switch out of the door panel. You don't need to remove the door panel itself. There are 2 wire harness connectors plugged into the window switch.

(Parts snipped to save electrons!)
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Thanks to Dennis' excellent and quick help, I got a replacement motor and regulator from the salvage yard today. I can tell you this: it's a MAJOR pain to get one out when the window is all the way at the top! The only thing worse? It's a MAJOR pain to get one out when the one you're trying to replace is stuck all the way at the bottom!

At any rate, it's in. After getting it in I realized that the regulator is dragging and the cables make noises, so I'll figure out how to just swap the motor over to my old regulator. Should be easy, right? I mean, if I can get those three overly tightened screws loose...

Jack
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 AM

here is a video of my experience with this repair.